6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 12:23 AM by eftani

Why are smart previews missing?

eftani Level 1

I am using a Mac Book Pro.

My Smart Previews all missing.  I keep all images on an external hard drive.

Backups are on the Mac book it self as well as on a backup drive. 

The Smart Previews folder is in the Lightroom folderScreen Shot 2016-01-16 at 12.39.30 pm.png

Not sure if relevant but I recently moved my main photography folder.  I did this within lightroom and renamed it 'AAAA photography'

instead of ' Photography' for speed of access.  Lightroom did not have trouble with this though it was slow and I had to select individual folders in some cases to help it find all

files.

Any ideas?  I don't want to rebuild all the smart previews.

I have rebuilt some and they are working as they should.

Merte

• 1. Re: Why are smart previews missing?
          Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean that they are missing, Merte? The file is 41.5 GB, which suggests to me that they are there, assuming that Lightroom is in fact using this lrcat6-2 catalog. To verify this, go into Lightroom>Catalog Settings, and on the General tab check the location and file name of the catalog Lightroom is using.

• 2. Re: Why are smart previews missing?
            eftani Level 1

Thanks George,

What I mean is that the Smart Previews are somehow no longer attached to the images.

See included screenshot.

I have checked that LR is using Ircat6-2 catalogue.

Another screen shot.

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 2.39.19 pm.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-16 at 2.41.45 pm.png

What am I doing wrong?

Merte

• 3. Re: Why are smart previews missing?
              Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

You are using a catalog in your Backups folder, not the one directly in the lrcat6 folder. (Notice the Location shown in the screenshot you provided.) If you are satisfied that you are seeing all your work in Lightroom and want to make this backup one your main one, copy it out of the Backups folder into your main folder (renaming the one you already have there something else).  Then double-click on the catalog file to launch Lightroom with it. Finally, go into Lightroom>Preferences, and on the General tab, under Default Catalog, choose this catalog from the drop-down so that Lightroom always launches with it.

Whoops - my screen name was wrong - I'm Laura, not George. ;-)

• 4. Re: Why are smart previews missing?
                eftani Level 1

Hi Laura,

I wondered about George!

Only part of your reply came through on my personal email which I was following from so what I attempted did not work.

This is what I think you mean me to do-

Copy the backups folder.

I have tried to paste the backup folder 1748  into main folder but it is saying there is not enough free space.

I tried to do a drag and drop but that calling it ircat7   there does not seem to be anything actually in it when I try and launch it.

I have cleaned things up a bit,I think, but am fairly confused. Extremely confused.

I will send another couple of screen shots.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Merte

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 5.31.33 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 5.32.02 pm.png

• 5. Re: Why are smart previews missing?
                  eftani Level 1

Hi Laura,

I tried to do that  but probably missed something.

Here is how it looks now.

There are two Smart Preview folders one very small one where I rebuilt some images yesterday.

I didn’t think you looked like George!

Many thanks

Merte

• 6. Re: Why are smart previews missing?
                    eftani Level 1

Hi Laura,

I have just realised that only part of your message came through onto my email.

No wonder what you said didn’t work!

Ill have another try.

Thanks,

Merte