5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 9:59 AM by mark1894

Does anybody know how this was done?

mark1894 Level 1

Hello Community,

I have seen a photograph with post processing which appears unique and I'm interested to learn what are the key functions/tools used to create the effect. I cannot describe it but please take a look here and if you know what tools were used I'd be grateful for the knowledge: Many thanks for any input

http://www.deepakghosh.photography/mihf9b03i9jdpy708kg6l1p15cyyos

• 1. Re: Does anybody know how this was done?
          SolonasM Level 1

Hi there,

unfortunately you can`t make that kind of processing on Lr.

I do the very same genre of photography,it`s called "Fine Art Architecture"

It is usually Long Exposure images [you can see that by cloud movement ] ,with shutter speeds from some seconds up to ten minutes

That kind of images processed in Photoshop and silver efex pro 2 or any other third party b&w plug-in

You mast mastering selections tool like Pen tool,lasso tool etc

here is a panorama of mine,3 images stitched in Photoshop. ~4 minutes exposure each :

The GateKeepers-1.jpg

• 2. Re: Does anybody know how this was done?
            mark1894 Level 1

HI SolanosM

thank you for your reply and stunning phot. I do a lot of long exposure and familiar with the aspect. It was more specifically the effect on the buildings I was baffled by. Are you able to provide a little more info on the technique used in Photoshop?

Mmany thanks for taking the time to reply and share your photo and knowledge.

• 3. Re: Does anybody know how this was done?
              mark1894 Level 1

Apolicies for the typo on your name SolonasM !

• 4. Re: Does anybody know how this was done?
                SolonasM Level 1

Of course,

i can give you some tips about the workflow that we use

This workflow have two stages the -hard- selections

and the artistic approach

Selections and hard selections are crucial for a flawless image [in panorama above i separate buildings from sky with pen tool but in very precise way; brick by brick (!!!) ,took me about...10 hours to do so.. ]

so you make hard selections with pen tool or lasso tool or anyway you can,of course Pen tool is the best

you can make selections with luminosity masks or color range tool also

After that you start with the image,basically you apply shadows and light everywhere you want so have a pleasing result

play with curves and levels > make two or more layers with different bright values > make masks and mix each layer with Gradients

It`s not very easy to describe the workflow in paper.. [English is not my mother language ether .. ]

You should check in Joel`s website and/or Julia`s for some tricks n` tips also

Frontpage - BWVISION - Black and White fine art photography and long exposure photography

http://www.juliaannagospodarou.com/

those two are probably the best photographers  of fine art architecture 

• 5. Re: Does anybody know how this was done?
                  mark1894 Level 1

tthank you so much for taking the time to respond with this excellent information and resource. Very much appreciated.