10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2009 9:42 PM by Mburleigh8

Multi player game

dido78
      hi everyone,

i saw many multiplayer flash games on the internet, i want to know if it is possible to develop a multiplayer game using action script.

if not, then how are these games done?

see this link as an example:
      http://www.guessasketch.com/play/

thxx
        • 1. Re: Multi player game
          clbeech Level 3
          it is. however, the AS operates the 'client-side' of the application eg. FlashPlayer, on a given player's system - in order to make this work you must also have several other things in place, a server that is running the proper daemons handling connection protocols and sockets, and also a 'server-side' script usually a .NET language such as C, C++, C#, etc. which performs/handles the server-side communications with other connected clients, as well as external game logic - it is a complex procedure.

there are several portals who host and provide API to interface with AS games developed for multi-player applications. check out www.nonoba.com for starters.
          • 2. Re: Multi player game
            dido78 Level 1
            thxx very much for ur help, this was exactly what i needed
            • 3. Re: Multi player game
              Mburleigh8
              well i have a question close to something like this one
              how do you make a forum for a website flash based that anyone can reply to without an account and make it save to my website and do it all with flash 8 is this possible and if so how?
              • 4. Re: Multi player game
                Mburleigh8 Level 1
                how do you make a forum for a website flash based that anyone can reply to without an account and make it save to my website and do it all with flash 8 is this possible and if so how?
                • 5. Re: Multi player game
                  Mburleigh8 Level 1
                  • 6. Re: Multi player game
                    clbeech Level 3
                    although your question is *similar* you really should start you own thread for another topic.

however, what you would need in this sort of situation is a to have the same types of elements, you'd need a server-side script that distributes enter 'forum' text to all connected users - this is often called a 'bounce' server where you aren't really storing anything or running any logic, just distributing the text via a socket connection. you wouldn't need as complicated and may be able to pull it off with something along the lines of amfphp - and a little server-side php. there are also several other technologies that you could use - not to mention many applications already produced that you could simply install, in fact it's likely that you server has modules that you can use to do just that, it's often a matter of just configuring it for you site.
                    • 7. Re: Multi player game
                      Mburleigh8 Level 1
                      im using a free website maker called synthasite so im not sure i can do all that much less do i know how
                      how do i start another topic sorry im new
                      • 8. Re: Multi player game
                        clbeech Level 3
                        LOL! that's ok - it's np ;)

just above the 'main board' there is a set of text links one is 'new topic' - there you go :)

yeah i know zero about that app, i would suggest that you look at the tools you may have on your host server, the one where your domain is mounted. most of them have fairly extensive packages of things like BB apps (bulletin boards - like this one) blog tools, wordpress, even IRC programs which is really more what it sounds like you want, a 'chat server' - those you can also get pre-packaged - just install. but to 'build' your own is a whole different ball game, and you'd need to know a thing or two about programming in general - not to say you couldn't do it!
                        • 9. Multi player game
                          Mburleigh8 Level 1
                          ummm its different here this is my website so far i know it sucks but this is only 2 days worth

maybe you can find something i cant
                          link