8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 10:35 AM by debemac

How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?

thomasa23876904

How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?

• 1. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If this is a serial-number-licensed LR then you need to get on to Chat with Adobe, via clicks into the Help & Support area after logging in to Adobe.com—much like you got to this forum, except choosing items about installing and licensing and then Clicking Still-Need-Help and choosing Chat instead of Community Forums. 

You are allowed up-to two installs using the same serial number so if the new computer is your second install then  you should be fine, but you do eventually want to deactivate that inaccessible install so doing it now would keep things in order for the future when you may have forgotten about the old install using up one of your two license instances.

If this is a CC-login-licensed version of LR, then just license it, and if CC complains you have more than two installs, choose to deactivate the other two and you should be fine.

• 2. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
            ivanh95882246

I have the same problem except in my case a motherboard upgrade caused the issue.  I am using my second license on my laptop.  When I input Adobe,com in my browser I just get a blank page.  Any suggestions as to alternative ways to get to chat, I'm in Canada?

• 3. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
              thomasa23876904 Level 1

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

I'll chat with their support tomorrow ... on weekends, the chat is not active.

• 4. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
                SolonasM Level 1

sometimes it happen,

try to browse with different browser [i use Chrome in OS X]

a friend of mine can only access Creative cloud.com with firefox only

Even if you don`t deactivate it from the broken pc ,when you try to install in an other one

Adobe`s manager ask you to deactivate from other two pc [one of the options].

Do that and then go to your main machine and activate again

That way works for me [because i activate and forgot to deactivate the 2nd license in a pc than no long have access.]

• 5. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
                  thomasa23876904 Level 1

Thank you.

I don't use the Creative Cloud though, got the license when I bought a Leica camera, and downloaded the SW from Adobe's website.

Hence I don't think that the way to deactivate will work for me.

Kind regards

Thomas

• 6. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
                    SolonasM Level 1

oh ok,

so maybe it`s better to talk with customer support

[by the way,customer support really helps..at least i find them always via chatting ]

Best Regards

Solon

• 7. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
                      thomasa23876904 Level 1

Customer Support via Chat was very responsive and solved the issue in a very short time.

Thank you to all who contributed to this request here.

Thomas

• 8. Re: How can I deactivate Lightroom on a computer which is not accessible any more because it crashed and is not recoverable?
                        debemac

Here is the log for chat yesterday. My computer crashed and I want to deactivate the LR 5, LR 6 and Elements. The agent could deactivate all but LR 5. That means I can't us LR 5 and LR 6 on an additional computer. I was told that I need to check in the forum for help. REALLY? After waiting 2 hours to get on? Can anybody help me???

General Info

Chat start time July 17, 2017 7:54:13 PM EST
                        Chat end time July 17, 2017 11:20:11 PM EST
                        Duration (actual chatting time) 03:25:57
                        Operator Abhishek

Chat Transcript

info: Thanks for contacting us. We’ll find a representative for you to chat with and keep you posted on your wait time.  
                        This chat will become active once a representative responds.

Did you know you can get answers to most of your Adobe-related questions at help.adobe.com? Find helpful video tutorials, tips for troubleshooting, and user guides for all our products. You can even get answers from members of our vibrant forums community. Visit help.adobe.com. Please hold for the next available agent.

info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 14 and your wait time is approximately 2 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 12 and your wait time is approximately 2 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 12 and your wait time is approximately 2 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 11 and your wait time is approximately 1 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 11 and your wait time is approximately 1 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 9 and your wait time is approximately 1 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 8 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 7 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 6 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 6 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 5 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 5 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 4 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 4 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 3 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 3 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 2 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 2 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 1 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: Thanks for your patience. Representatives are currently helping other customers. Your position in line is 1 and your wait time is approximately 0 minutes.
                        info: You are now chatting with Abhishek.
                        Please don’t close the chat window or browser tab since it will end our chat session.

Abhishek: Hello! Welcome to Adobe support.
                        Debe McDowell: Thank you!!! Only been waiting 2 hours :-)
                        Debe McDowell: I need to deactivate a computer that died. Could not revive at the computer store. How do I do that?
                        Abhishek: Please allow me 1-2 minutes to review your account details.
                        Abhishek: May I have your phone number to update your profile?
                        Debe McDowell: 253-222-1000
                        Abhishek: As I see under your this account you have 3 active products.
                        Debe McDowell: Ok, great. Are we talking LR 6?
                        Abhishek: May I know serial key of that product ? Please
                        Debe McDowell: The programs on the HP 15" laptop need to be deactivated
                        Debe McDowell: of the upgrade or the original?
                        Debe McDowell: can you deactivate the adobe elements also. Acutally, can you deactivate all?
                        Abhishek: So I am informing you that under your account (DEBEMAC@GMAIL.COM)  you have 2 versions of lightroom (v- 5.0 and 6.0)
                        Debe McDowell: Yes.
                        Debe McDowell: I have installed LR5 and wanting to upgrade on the new Dell lapton
                        Debe McDowell: Laptop
                        Abhishek: Okay, Please elaborate your issue I am unable to understand this.
                        Debe McDowell: My laptop died. I need for the programs to be eliminated from that computer so I can use the new laptop and desktop with your programs.
                        Abhishek: Okay, Now understand your issue, But will unable to deactivate adobe programme from any system , So what can I do, I can do one that I can increase one operating seat for you.
                        Debe McDowell: OK, thank you! Yes, for LR5, then upgrade to 6 and Adobe Elements.
                        info: Your chat transcript will be sent to DEBEMAC@GMAIL.COM at the end of your chat.
                        Abhishek: You want to increase operating seats for all three products ?
                        Debe McDowell: Yes, they were all on my laptop before it crashed and was unrecoverable.
                        Abhishek: Ok, may I know the serial key of all products ?
                        Debe McDowell: Product Code?
                        Debe McDowell: LR 5: LTRMP7-9194-7206-8923-1029
                        Abhishek: Not product code ; Serial key .
                        Abhishek: Needs serial key .
                        Abhishek: That is 24 digit all numeric.
                        Debe McDowell: LR 6: 1160-*****-0763
                        Debe McDowell: LR 5: 1160-*****-7912
                        Abhishek: And for photoshop elements ?
                        Debe McDowell: 1057-*****-9105
                        Debe McDowell: The last entry was for photoshop elements 1057-*****-9105
                        Abhishek: It is done for this serail key -1160-*****-0763
                        Abhishek: It is also done for this  serial key - 1057-*****-9105
                        Debe McDowell: Last one is: LR 5: 1160-*****-7912
                        Abhishek: Please give me a minute.
                        Debe McDowell: :-)
                        Abhishek: Please allow me 1-2 minutes to review your account details.
                        Abhishek: Sorry to say but  we are facing an error that we will not able to change operating seats from our ends, So please deactivate it from your side. serial key - 1160-*****-7912
                        Debe McDowell: I can't. The computer Hard deive is toast. It has been eliminate.
                        Debe McDowell: Hardrive is gone.
                        Debe McDowell: Computer is destroyed by computer store tech.
                        Abhishek: Okay I can understand your issue, But we are unable to resolve this issue right now.
                        Abhishek: So for resolving this issue you have to contact with Adobe Forums.
                        Debe McDowell: Why? what is my recourse?
                        Abhishek: They will  assist you definitely  for this issue.
                        Debe McDowell: OK, thank you.