9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 8:48 AM by ssprengel

Embedded profile default

jdlgoroka

In camera calibration how do I make Lightroom default to the embedded profile.

Mitasol

• 1. Re: Embedded profile default
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Shoot JPEG, it's the only profile available. As far as shooting in raw is concerned, Lightroom will not read any profile that you set in the camera. You can choose one of the raw profiles that best suits most of your photography, and then save new camera defaults. Then that profile will be applied automatically to any newly imported images. However, Lightroom is designed to enable you to choose from different camera profiles when shooting raw images. The reason Lightroom will not read those profiles for raw images is because every camera maker stores that information differently, so Lightroom is designed to not read the raw profiles.

• 2. Re: Embedded profile default
            jdlgoroka Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I only shoot raw and previously asked this same question here and did get a correct answer but now cannot find it. I use a Leica M240 and find the embedded profile much more accurate than the Adobe standard profile. I have a new computer and can still use the embedded profile but Lightroom does not default to it. Help on making it default to embedded would be appreciated.

JDL

• 3. Re: Embedded profile default
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Maybe you can choose a different photo style from the Camera Calibration Panel.

ScreenShot298.jpg

You can make this your "Default" for images imported if you hold down the [ALT] key and click on the [Reset] button.  Holding [ALT] will show the button as [Set Default...]

• 4. Re: Embedded profile default
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Leica's produce DNG raws, I believe, and the camera can embed a profile understood by Adobe software.

• 5. Re: Embedded profile default
                  jdlgoroka Level 1

Thank you very much for your advise. This corrected my problem.

JDL

• 6. Re: Embedded profile default
                    DNG raws,...., and the camera can embed a profile understood by Adobe software.

That's good news for Leica owners. Thanks ssprengel.

I am curious to know if the OP saw a selection of camera 'profiles' as does my nikon.

• 7. Re: Embedded profile default

A sample DNG-raw downloaded from the internet:

• 8. Re: Embedded profile default

Thanks-

Can the Leica owner deviate from the embedded profile, by changing sliders in the Develop module, including those in the Camera Calibration panel, and make his own Adobe 'Default' camera profile that is applied on import?

[ALT] + [Set Drfault...]

• 9. Re: Embedded profile default

Theoretically, yes, but having one set of calibration slider deviations that works for all white-balance values is probably difficult to come by, especially if you're trying to match the camera treatment which could be a moving target based on the camera's automatic-scene-modes or whatever it does when it creates JPGs in different lighting scenarios.  The camera profiles Adobe uses are dual-illuminant so the effective profile is an interpolation between an incandescent (2600K) profile and a hazy-daylight (6500K) profile, depending on how close the WB Temperature values is to one of those extremes or the other.

Adjusting sliders for change the overall contrast and color-strength might work, but using the HSL sliders and CC sliders probably won't except for a particular range of WB values, so creating a few presets that work for specific lighting situations might be better than trying to come up with a universal set that works for all photos.