1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 4:25 AM by RoninEdits

Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Neverends Productions Level 1

Hello,

I built the system below after some heavy research and now have a very big computer. I own a video production company and use Adobe's Creative Cloud 2015 Premiere, After Effects and the whole suite on a daily basis. The system, I feel, should be faster than it is but I don't know what testing tools or what to look for in the one's I've tried to determine where my system lacks. I'm currently working on a project where I have to edit 12 streams of HD video from various camera formats. See the specs below and any advice on what components I might swap out or configuration I could try to make life better.

My computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (64 Gb)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

My Storage is configured as such:

C: Drive (Programs Only):

1 x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

P: Drive (Video Projects, and all the Library files like pictures, music, documents...)

8 x Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

in a Raid 30 connected to an Areca ARC-1882

Z: Drive (Cache Drive for Premiere's cache previews and temp files and for exporting videos)

2 x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

in a Raid 0 connected to an Areca ARC-1882

I have other drives for backups and archive storage but those don't effect the editing workflow. Premiere just doesn't seem to perform like it should. I have spent hours on the phone with them trying different versions to try to make it edit properly. I have tried going back to CC 2014 and still having performance issues.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

• 1. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
          RjL190365 Level 4

Your number one problem is the use of the EVO SSDs in RAID. These consumer-grade SSDs have firmware that is substantially incompatible with any RAID configurations or RAID controllers. Someone tested them in a RAID 0 configuration, and saw the transfer rates plummet from about 500 MB/second in a single-drive configuration to less than 200 MB/second in a RAID 0 configuration. That is slower than any two of the latest 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID 0.

• 2. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

That's interesting... So which is faster, the SSD by itself or 7200 drives in a Raid 0?

• 3. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
              cvid01 Level 4

You would get better results if this were in the Hardware forum. Maybe one of the mods will move it there.

Sorry - it's already there. Should've checked earlier.

• 4. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

are you trying to view all 12 streams together, as in a multi-cam sequence and edit mode?

does this happen on a clean timeline with zero effects?

what kind of media formats? codec and resolution?

to help determine where a hardware bottleneck may be, you can use windows resource monitor and gpu-z to watch the hardware usage while working in premiere. you can also use disk drive benchmark programs, such as crystaldiskmark, to see if there is any problem in read/write speeds to your (p:) or (z:) drives. a single ssd should be faster than two or three 7200rpm drives in raid 0. the cache drive shouldn't be very important to this performance, where as reading all 12 streams from the (p:) drive would be.

i would suspect its too many streams for the cpu to decode all at once. that windows task manager or resource monitor will show the cpu maxed when trying to playback the timeline. any codec's like h264/xavc will place a heavy burden on the cpu, as its not designed to decode video codecs. if you are using such codecs, you could try transcoding to more cpu friendly ones like prores or dnxhd.

• 5. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Yes, I am trying to edit all the streams together in a multi-cam sequence. I don't have any effects or color grading at this point, just the raw files. I have many different camera formats:

Sony EX3 and EX1 (.MP4)

Canon DSLR's (.mov)

Other cameras with (.mts)

I did a Crystal Disk Mark test on the drives.

The Production drive (Raid 30 with 8 3Tb Hitachi drives)

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :   675.546 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :  1060.333 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :    49.762 MB/s

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :    78.501 MB/s

Sequential Read (T= 1) :  1100.054 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) :   287.328 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :    77.592 MB/s

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     3.264 MB/s

Here is the Cache Drive SSD as a Pass Through Disk:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :   177.785 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :   754.454 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   363.910 MB/s [ 88845.2 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   323.220 MB/s [ 78911.1 IOPS]

Sequential Read (T= 1) :  1072.380 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) :   925.886 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :   110.147 MB/s [ 26891.4 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :   104.604 MB/s

Here is the Cache Drive SSD as 2 x 512Gb Raid 0:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :  1470.751 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :   896.176 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   286.814 MB/s

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   219.255 MB/s

Sequential Read (T= 1) :  1333.875 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) :   839.268 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :   107.761 MB/s

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :    88.941 MB/s

It appears that the Raid 0 of the SSD drives are faster. So, I'm still at a loss. What part of the system needs updated to accomplish 12 streams?

• 6. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

looks like all or most of your media is h264, which as i said before, will be very hard on the cpu.

are they 1080p or 4k media?

what does the cpu and gpu usage % look like during playback of the 12 steams?

how many streams does your computer handle before it struggles? and whats the cpu and gpu % at when it works for lower stream count?

did you try transcoding? if so, how many transcoded streams does it handle?

as far as upgrading to handle the 12 streams, it will depend on how many your computer can play now, and then having extra power for any effects you plan on using. the x99 platform will be somewhat faster, but you may have to get into xeon or even dual xeon to get a big performance jump and handle so many streams. even with an upgrade you may still have to use transcoded media, or it would at least lower the cost of the upgrade. you could turn the current computer you have into a dedicated transcoding machine with adobe media encoder watch folders if you need too.

• 7. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

All the media is 1080P. The system starts to struggle with 4 streams. Now the first 4 streams in my multi-cam sequence are from 2 Sony EX3's and 1 Sony EX1 and 1 Canon C100. The CPU is only at 17%. The RAM is at 19%. I have the GPU-Z program but don't know what to look at for the readings. The GPU load bounces from 1% to around 85%.

I'm not sure how to transcode footage or what settings to use. If you could guide me along the way I'm loosing days trying to figure this out and I really can't edit effectively and the deadline of the project keeps getting near.

Thank you for your help.

• 8. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                        jamesp2 Level 1

Since you're on Windows, you could transcode to DNxHD, 8 or 10 bit 422 (either of which will exceed the native quality of the footage) , but I don't believe that will get you the performance you seek, on your system. 

What's the maximum number of streams for which you can currently get real-time playback?  Seems unlikely it will go much higher than 4 or 5, regardless of video format.

• 9. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

if you use adobe media encoder to transcode, there are already a bunch of presets you can choose from. the dnxhd mxf category will work, there are dnxhd options under the quicktime/mov format too. you may have to experiment, try higher quality presets first, but if they still limit playback streams to less than 12, you may have to go with proxies. the higher the quality of dnxhd the more it will place demand on the storage, your (P:) drive. you may not be able to play 12 streams of high bitrate dnxhd from the (p:) drive. dnxhd 36 720p or lower proxies would place less demand on the computer and storage. if you haven't tried already, you can also lower the playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4 in the playback monitor, to help performance. unfortunately adobe has never adopted a built in proxy function, so you would have to do proxies manually.

you can check in windows resource monitor, the drive read (b/sec) and total (b/sec) category, during playback, to see how the (p:) drive is doing. if its too close to the benchmarks you got with crystaldiskmark, your storage will bottleneck playback.

the gpu load % is the right stat to look at, its the gpu usage. the cpu usage should be alot higher than 17%. premiere doesn't always multi-thread properly, this can be caused by media formats and plugins/effects. the dnxhd mxf format will bypass quicktime, and you already said you don't have any effects in place.

here are some from adobe tv, but you may find better on youtube for transcoding and proxies.

What is Adobe Media Encoder? | Adobe Media Encoder tutorials

Adobe Premiere Pro CC: Link & Locate | Adobe at NAB 2013 | Adobe TV

• 10. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                            JFPhoton Level 3

...something is wrong with your SSD test results......2X512GB in RAID 0 is showing " 1470.71 MB/sec sequential read speed".   That reading exceeds the actual interface speed theoretical maximum for 2 drives, each on a SATA III port.  The top read speed should be no more than ~ 1GB per second....(.which is :  2x 550MB/sec minus 10% overhead for the RAID 0 ). Those Crystal diskmark results could be flawed.

Also, your RAID 30 is showing a low write speed of only above 200 MB/sec. on one of the tests. I am suspecting that something is wrong with your drives....are all the disks less than half full and defragged ?? RJL may be right about problems with EVO drives. Bill and others reported problems with them. The 850Pro is much better with a better controller. Eight 7K3000 drives in your RAID 30  should provide....if empty.....a read speed of  1.1 GB/sec , and a write speed of 1 GB/sec, according to data from the review at storage review.com of your HDDs. Of course, if they are half full the speed will decrease for both to about 800MB/sec. read and 700MB/sec write.  I would try NOT using the SSD RAID 0 AT ALL at first....I would defragment all the spinning HDDs in your RAID 30 array AND make sure they are NOT more than half full. You have not mentioned which OS you are using, but, only the OS, programs and Windows page file should be on your "boot" SSD EVO drive.....ALL else to go on the RAID 30.

Given the fact that your CPU is not moving past 17% under the heavy load of streams, it appears your CPU is "waiting" on receiving the data. You have plenty of system memory and your GPU is good....something is not right.

You should FIRST test your system "as is" at the PPBM8.com website, run by Bill Gehrke from here on this forum.  This test is a "benchmarking" test using PPro It will identify any bottlenecks in your system and it will report your "real world" drive speeds while using the PPro test.

Another point is that many editors with your CPU overclock it to at least 4.2Ghz to gain significant performance increases......you should do the PPBM8 test again after applying a safe overclock to the CPU.

Finally, sometimes problems in machines have been traced back to an overtaxed power supply....your power supply appears to be sufficient,but, I seem to recall a certain type of Corsair that DID have a problem....google your specific model to see if yours had any bad history and see if you can find a test that indicates your power supply is running ok UNDER A FULL LOAD !!

p. s.     double check all your "power settings" to make sure everything is set for "maximum performance". I ran into a problem with a new laptop because I didn't realize the DEFAULT setting was throttling my CPU !!  I had to manually reset everything ffor maximum performance.

• 11. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

I found a PPBM7.com but not 8... Is that the test I should run? Here is a snapshot of my system:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz 88 °C

Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology

RAM

64.0GB DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011) 43 °C

Graphics

DELL U2413 (1920x1200@59Hz)

SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 62 °C

Storage

949GB Areca Cache Drive SCSI Disk Device (RAID)

16763GB Areca Production SCSI Disk Device (RAID)

465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 33 °C

14904GB External RAID SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

465GB Western Digital WD 5000AAV External USB Device (USB (SATA)) 40 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40

ATAPI iHES312 3

Audio

PreSonus FireStudio Audio

• 12. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JFPhoton wrote:

You should FIRST test your system "as is" at the PPBM8.com website, run by Bill Gehrke from here on this forum.  This test is a "benchmarking" test using PPro It will identify any bottlenecks in your system and it will report your "real world" drive speeds while using the PPro test.

• 13. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Bill, when I go to that site all I get is a the word "Test".

• 14. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

JFPhoton wrote:

That should be the PPBM7.com website for the Premiere Pro BenchMark.

Post the scores from the "Output.csv file here.

Something crazy going on on the forum site I could not edit my first post

• 15. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

You are going to ppbm8.com which is not active.  Go to the link above or ppbm7.com

• 16. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

I just submitted the test. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you for your help!

• 17. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                                          JEShort01 Level 4

Neverends,

What were your scores (the 4 numbers plus Adobe version numbers contained in output.csv)?

Bill and Harm have been really slow to post scores to PPBM7 since October. I submitted a test in Mid December and it still hasn't been posted to the site yet.

Jim

• 18. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Here are your submitted results:

"99","588","76","3146", Premiere Version:, 9.1.0.174

Lets start with the CPU intensive fourth number where you took 3146 seconds.  There is something terribly wrong with your setup or your PPBM test procedure.  That is about 6 times longer than the average (for an i7-3930K CPU) from our PPBM testing.  Everything else in your scoring is thrown off by that.

• 19. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

What would you guess is wrong? I turned off my hyper-threading of the cores. Should I turn that back on? I will run another test.

• 20. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Absolutely turn on hyperthreading!

Jim sorry but neither of us is currently able to keep up with updating the results, that is why I asked the OP to post the data. 

• 21. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

I was told by a company that we work with to try to get all of our footage in the same format using the DNX HQ presets in Media Encoder. They said the processing of the different compression rates, codecs and wrappers was too much to handle in real time. So, I'm giving that a try now but will take awhile because of having 12 cameras worth of footage. I've also turned the hyper-threading back on in the BIOS. In looking at the performance while the Media Encoder CC2015 is encoding the footage to get to the .mxf files the CPU is around 19% while the Memory is around 16%. In the preferences I have the Media Cache Files going to the SSD Raid 0 drive. The disk drives are at 0%... What gives here? I would expect to have the computer being maxed out. I installed this gaget System Monitor II and do see the cores pegged out.

• 22. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

it was advised to transcode from the beginning, and the low cpu% was found early on as well. the ppbm benchmark has helped to confirm a problem with premiere, matching your earlier findings. adobe media encoder having poor performance in now another problem, possibly related. adobe's software is suppose to have its own internal codecs that are multi-thread capable, but if you have some extra codec's installed that are 32bit, perhaps adobe's software is trying to use them and crippling its performance. quicktime on windows is limited to 32bit, but adobe's software is suppose to get around that as well. trascoding to mxf should avoid those codecs and quicktime. if thats the issue it will only help after they are transcoded. if you do have any codec packs installed or perhaps software that came with the camera's, you may want to uninstall them to see if they are causing a problem.

its strange the system monitor II app reports something different than windows task manager. the low cpu% of task manager lines up with the low performance in the ppbm benchmark. you may want to try some other programs to see what they report. Five Best Windows Task Manager Alternatives

is this a new computer/setup, or do you have older projects that work fine and use more than 17% cpu?

do you have windows power profile set to high performance?

is this low cpu% only an adobe issue, or everywhere? do you have any other programs that can max the cpu or do most have low cpu usage as well? handbrake x64 and prime95 are some programs that should max the cpu at or near 100%. if the problem is only with adobe's software, then its a software problem. it may be adobe's software that needs to be uninstalled, cleaned, and reinstalled, or third party software like codec's or plugins interfering with adobe's software that need to be removed. if no program on your computer will use high or max cpu%, then you may have a hardware problem, a bios setting problem, or windows problem.

• 23. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                                                      • Have you turned off indexing on your storage devices?
                                                      • If you want to see 100% CPU usage run the PPBM MPEG2-DVD timeline without GPU acceleration (software only), it should show all 12 threads at close to 100%.
                                                      • What antivirus anti-everthing else programs are you using can you turn them off while editing?
                                                      • How many processes are running when you look at Task Manager without any running programs.
                                                      • With RoninEdits comment from above  "if no program on your computer will use high or max cpu%, then you may have a hardware problem, a bios setting problem, or windows problem."  I would also add an overheating problem would cause severe throttling of the CPU
                                                      • 24. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

As we work through these issue I do want to thank you for taking your time and knowledge in helping me. It's hard to answer all the questions as some of the suggestions take a long time to try.

• I did turn off all the indexing.
                                                        • I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and all the Adobe software.
                                                        • I haven't tried other projects yet but will advise.
                                                        • The power profile is set to high performance.
                                                        • I only have Quicktime as an outside codec.
                                                        • I currently don't have any anti-virus running besides what Windows 10 does by default. This brings me to a question about operating systems. Which is the best one for CC 2015?
                                                        • I have another computer with similar hardware minus any raid configurations and tried the project there and the performance is much better in playing back all 12 streams at once. It will play them but start to shudder around 4 to 5 seconds of playback.
                                                        • 25. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

what about finding any program to get the cpu to max %? did you find/test any, or the programs i listed to test with?

and what about bill's test with disabling the gpu/mpe?

If you want to see 100% CPU usage run the PPBM MPEG2-DVD timeline without GPU acceleration (software only), it should show all 12 threads at close to 100%.

if running those programs and premiere without the gpu (mpe software only), and the cpu is able to max, but then mpe cuda cripples premiere, it may be related to the video card. it could be drivers, it could be a resource conflict with another pcie card, such as the raid card. you could try swapping the video card, and/or temporarily taking out the raid card. just make sure the raid backup is current, just in case. if no program will max the cpu, and they all want to stick around 17%, then it may be something with the cpu and hardware. could still be something in the bios or bad hardware, like the mbd. should also check cpu temps like bill points out, if its overheating and thermal throttling.

im curious to know how the other computer is performing when playing back the 12 steams... is the cpu near max? what's the gpu, system memory, and drive storage doing?

• 26. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

I ran the PPBM test with the software only on and again the System Monitor II showed all cores maxed out but the Windows Resource Monitor just showed aroun 17%. I also installed the Core Temp app and with no programs running the cores are hovering around 87 degree C. After a reboot and not opening up any programs there are 70 processes running.

Should I go back to Windows 7?

If the temps are too high what can I do? I have the Corsair Liquid Cooler H100i. The PSU is the Corsair HX1050 80 plus gold.

Again, here are my computer specs:

Operating System
                                                            Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                                            CPU
                                                            Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz88 °C
                                                            RAM
                                                            64.0GB DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
                                                            Motherboard
                                                            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)44 °C
                                                            Graphics
                                                            SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
                                                            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc)64 °C
                                                            Storage
                                                            949GB Areca Cache Drive SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
                                                            16763GB Areca Production SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
                                                            465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)34 °C
                                                            14904GB External RAID SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
                                                            465GB Western Digital WD 5000AAV External USB Device (USB (SATA))40 °C
                                                            Optical Drives
                                                            HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40
                                                            ATAPI iHES312 3
                                                            Audio
                                                            PreSonus FireStudio Audio

Here is the 2nd computer specs that handled the 12 streams "a little" better.

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz 61 °C

RAM

32.0GB DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011) 53 °C

Graphics

W2343 (1920x1080@59Hz)

W2343 (1920x1080@59Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 33 °C

Storage

2794GB FUJITSU MARVELL Raid VD 0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500G SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 36 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 SCSI CdRom Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

• 27. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

im not using windows 10, so im not sure how many processes are normal. i know there is alot more spyware/trackers in windows 10, complements of microsoft and advertisement partners, so that will add a few processes over win7/8.

the cpu temp is 88 degree's at idle!? that's like double what it should be, closer to max temps. you may need to check the cooler wires are plugged in and the pump is working. if thats all good, you may need to check the thermal paste and cooler contact with the cpu and the plastic protective cover on the h100i isn't still on.

do you have it set to overclock or stock speeds? overclocking will be good, but if its too high it may be contributing to the high temps and throttling.

you can use cpu-z to see what the cpu is doing, at idle and under load. it should show the voltage and multiplier change up and down, under load and at idle. you should be able to tell from cpu-z if the cpu is throttling under max load and/or in premiere. if everything is working and you want to check temps against a possible false reading from core temp, you can check the bios for idle temp or use real temp.

• 28. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Neverends Productions wrote:

I ran the PPBM test with the software only on and again the System Monitor II showed all cores maxed out but the Windows Resource Monitor just showed aroun 17%. I also installed the Core Temp app and with no programs running the cores are hovering around 87 degree C. After a reboot and not opening up any programs there are 70 processes running.

Should I go back to Windows 7?

If the temps are too high what can I do? I have the Corsair Liquid Cooler H100i. The PSU is the Corsair HX1050 80 plus gold.

You have an absolutely terrible heatsink installation.  With nothing running it should be about 40  degrees C.  I do not believe in Liquid Coolers but yours evidently is not installed properly.

• 29. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                                                                  cc_merchant Level 4

Those temps are way too high. Idle should be around 30 C and under heavy load around 65 C.

When  overclocked to 4.5 GHz, those figures should be around 35 and 70-75 C.

The Corsair Hydro sure does not do what it is supposed to, cooling the CPU.

• 30. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Here are 2 screen shots from both computers. You can see that the System Monitor II shows the CPU pegged out and the Windows Task Manager showing 12%. I don't get it.

Main Computer:

Main Computer.PNG

2nd Computer:

2nd Computer.PNG

• 31. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System
                                                                      cvid01 Level 4

My CPU has a liquid cooler and with no apps running its temperature is 28 degrees C. Motherboard is at 26 degrees C. Something is definitely wrong with your system.

• 32. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

look at the clock speeds in the intel app, the good computer shows proper 3200mhz, while the troubled computer is at 1200mhz and has low VID voltage. definitely something wrong, like a thermal throttle issue, or bios issue/setting, or perhaps bad hardware.

• 33. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Actually the bad computer is running at 380 MHz versus 3200 MHz

• 34. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

380mhz is what task manager reports, i was looking at the other app with the intel logo. either way, something ain't right with that computer.

• 35. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

Also notice the OP has 125 processes running at that moment.  That is about 50 more than I have with Premiere running.

• 36. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

OK here's what I've tried. I reverted back to Windows 7. I took off the liquid cooler and reapplied some thermal paste and put a new fan on (Noctua NF-F12 PWM on the radiator). The machine is still at 91ºC at idle. It has even shut off on me a few times because of the heat warning. Like I said I have a 2nd computer with similar hardware. What do I try first? PSU? CPU? Cooler? Motherboard? Is there a test I have run to help me where to start? It's going to be a pain just to swap out things but I have to resolve this issue. It's been a pain so far and I've lost time not getting to my project. Any more screenshots you guys need to see what's going on?

thanks,

Doug

• 37. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

The performance is terrible right now. Here are some sensor screen shots. The BIOS is set to all defaults.

2016.01.24 - System Monitor.PNG

• 38. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

The only forum members with lots of experience along these lines are Eric Bowen of ADK and Jeff Pulera of Safe Harbor Computers.  I doubt they are available today but maybe they could comment tomorrow.

• 39. Re: Find the Bottleneck in my Video Editing System

if i had to guess, i would guess the cpu is bad. i also think its more likely the cpu or mbd vs the power supply. you can try manually setting the cpu setting and voltage, and/or matching any bios settings in the other computer for the cpu that are different, but it should have been working fine with auto/default settings. if you haven't already, check and do any bios updates for the mbd. if you just want to go straight for it, you can swap cpu's and see what happens. you should know pretty fast if the cpu from the bad computer is causing the same problem in the other computer, its a bad cpu. if putting the cpu in the second computer and its fine, but the first computer still acts up with new cpu, its probably the mbd. you could then swap power supply just to rule that out before returning the cpu.

1 2 Previous Next