11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 2:14 PM by Just Shoot Me

I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..

big_stan

Today I took six pictures and I was unable to load them into LR 6.3 from the CF card..   I was able to load them into Bridge and they are in my Pictures (Mac) folder but I cannot get them into the LR Library (When I double click the pic in Bridge or in my Picture Folder, they do open in Photoshop Camera Raw).  But I get “The file cannot be found” when I select the LR Develop Module.  I ran “Find All Missing Photos”, LR was able to find them and LR put them into a “Missing Photographs”  Catalog but when I try to work on them all I get is the “The file cannot be found” error message.

• 1. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Have the images been "imported" into LR?

When you did the import, you copied the files from the CF card to a hard drive, right?

From the Library grid, right-click on one of the "missing" images, and select "go to location in Explorer/Finder" to see where LR thinks the files should be. Is the file there?

• 2. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
            big_stan Level 1

Now I have totally hosed LR.

A little history, about a month ago PS6 & LR6 stopped playing nicely with each other.  After a great deal of aggravation and help from you guys I was able to properly reset the Prefs and LR & PS began to be nice to each other again.  At that time I was able to download a set of images but the Import window looked different from my previous versions of LR (3, 4, 5, & 6).   Yesterday when I tried to down load the most recent set of images everything went to hell and my pictures would not download (they are in Bridge).  This morning I noticed that LR had created a new catalog (Catalog-2.Ircat) and to further mess things up, when I tried to get back to the original catalog LR made yet a new catalog (Catalog-3.Ircat) and now all of my photos have vanished.  I think I can use Time Machine to recover from this latest SNAFU, but I am afraid to keep poking at the problem because I might make the mess even worse.

Help!!!

• 3. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You have a problem with your computer. Things like what you describe, what happened previously with LR+PS6 not working together and now this current problem, don't just happen. There is always a reason for things like this to happen. 99% of the time it is not LR. LR files and or preferences don't get corrupted for no reason.

You have some bad hardware in your system. Hard drives or RAM.

Do a search for .lrcat and see what turns up. you should have one file that is named Lightroom Catalog.lrcat. No one (1) or two (2) after it and no number in the middle (unless you renamed the LR CC/6 catalog file like I do so I can keep better track of it).

• 6. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
                big_stan Level 1

I have continued poke at the problem:

1. I think my present problem of not being able to Auto Import was caused when I reset the LR prefs this past December to correct an earlier problem.  I have been reading on line on how to set up Enable Auto Import and I am unable to make it work.  I am able to brute force import from a CF card by first loading into Bridge and then moving the files into LR.  Inconvenient but it works.

2. In my trying to get Enable Auto Import to work I made multiple copies of Catalog.Ircat.  I hope I can safely drag all of them except for Catalog - 2.Ircat , which was created when LR 6 was down loaded. Catalog-2.Ircat now contains all of my pictures.

3. If I can get Enable Auto Import to work, I will declare success.

• 7. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If by "auto import" you mean having the OS start Lightroom when you insert a memory card into your card reader, two things to check:

- in LR's Preferences dialog, General tab, checkbox for "show import dialog..."

- in the OS settings, there may be a setting you need to turn on; not sure what that is for the Mac.

• 8. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
                    big_stan Level 1

At this point I am no longer sure about anything. 

Before I started down this path I was able to insert the CF, LR would start up and a very simple import dialog box would appear with an import button.  I would click on import and my images would down load to a preview window where I was able to check the ones I want to have imported.  They would then be loaded into file corresponding to the calendar year.  I did not have to choose anything after checking the images I wanted to import.  Or is my memory playing tricks?  Ever since v6 it has become complicated. (BTW, I have been using LR since v3)

• 9. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..

big_stan wrote:

At this point I am no longer sure about anything.

Before I started down this path I was able to insert the CF, LR would start up and a very simple import dialog box would appear with an import button.  I would click on import and my images would down load to a preview window where I was able to check the ones I want to have imported.  They would then be loaded into file corresponding to the calendar year.  I did not have to choose anything after checking the images I wanted to import.  Or is my memory playing tricks?  Ever since v6 it has become complicated. (BTW, I have been using LR since v3)

If you have been using LR since versions 3 then the import dialog has been the same except for the recent changes Adobe made in version 2015.2/6.2 and then 2015.2.1/6.2.1. Those 2 releases had a much reduced import dialog with needed features removed. Everyone complained about it, even me, and Adobe changed it back to the original import dialog in 2015.3/6.3.

At one point, from what I have read, the option to have LR Auto Open, Not Auto import, when you inserted a memory card, CF or SD, got broken somehow someway and didn't work. I've never used that feature as I HATE programs that do that. I might be doing something completely different when I insert a camera memory card.

As to what type of window would pop up at that time I have no idea because as I stated I've never used that feature. But the Real Import dialog has been basically the same as it has been since V1, IIRC.

The placement of imported images when you select Copy is up to the user through many options. The naming of folders, in what folder and or drive they are copied to and a host of other options.

Version 6 is no more complicated than V 1 through V5.

Here are 2 images of V5 and V6 import dialog window. Please tell me which one is which.

V6 import.PNG

V5 import.PNG

• 10. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..
                        big_stan Level 1

First link sent me to: Welcome to the Adobe Community. To get started, please select a forum:

Second link looked familiar.  

This is what I am experiencing:

1. Open LR

2. Insert CF

3. I See screen with Import and Export buttons

4. Select Import

5. Next screen “Please select a source”.  LR is no longer automatically recognizing the source. I have to Manually select EOS_Digital

6. Pictures show up as Thumb nails and I select the pictures for down load

7. Pics show up in catalog under “Previous Import" but do not appear in Folders > Pictures > 2016.  I have to manually move to the desired subfolder (2016).  How do I get around these manual steps?

7A. Get LR to recognize source, the way it used to work

7B. Get the Pics to go directly to 2016 folder without having to manually move them?  Before this latest mess they automatically went to the folder marked by the year.

BTW, can I safely delete the four extra catalogs I made while feebly trying to get to the bottom of my problem?

Thank you for your help!!

• 11. Re: I  unable to load pics into LR 6.3 Library from the CF card..

3) The screen you see with the Import and Export buttons is the Library module.

5) Yeah normally on my desktop system, Win 7, when I insert a camera card and click import the Import dialog comes up and that camera memory card is already selected.

I was on my notebook system, Win 7 also, at work when I posted those screen shots and didn't have any camera with me. But normally even without a memory card inserted the LR import dialog displays all drives and folders on each drive in the Source area. Today it didn't until I clicked the actual drive letter at the top of the source area. Just checked on my desktop as I'm home from work and all drives and all folders on each drive showed up.

7) That might be because you don't have "Show Parent Folder" selected and or you don't have "Show Subfolders" checked.

7B) That is done in the import dialog window in the Destination area.

I know you said you have been using LR since version 3 but it sure doesn't sound like you actually know how the program works. I suggest you view some of the many and very good online tutorials on importing images into LR. And maybe buy a book on LR.