8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 11:08 AM by Geoff the kiwi

where's my catalog?

10smallthings

I got a new computer and had problems with the install (pc) and deactivaton of the old computer (mac).  I finally had to uninstall on my pc and reinstall it but now it won't read my catalog.  How can I get my pictures to be read again?

• 1. Re: where's my catalog?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

You need three things-

1. Lightroom installed within your computer.

2. Your image files/photos stored in a suitable folder system on a 'local' hard-drive. (Internal, External, or connected NAS.- External or NAS must be connected))

3. Your Catalog file. A file that is of the type- xxx.LRCAT  (This is the database file that Lightroom creates to reference all your photos)

Do you have all three?

And where are they in your system?

What error messages do you get when it "Won't read my catalog."  ?

• 2. Re: where's my catalog?
            10smallthings Level 1

I do have it installed, photos are in Lightroom catalog (lrcat) and in backups.  The problem I think is when I started it on my pc it was with a trial version because I had to deactivate from a computer that I no longer had (long story).  So when I finally got lightroom worked out on my pc, it won't read my LR files and says "cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom."  Which is strange because it's the same version.

• 3. Re: where's my catalog?
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

10smallthings wrote:

I do have it installed, photos are in Lightroom catalog (lrcat) and in backups.  The problem I think is when I started it on my pc it was with a trial version because I had to deactivate from a computer that I no longer had (long story).  So when I finally got lightroom worked out on my pc, it won't read my LR files and says "cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom."  Which is strange because it's the same version.

if you are getting the "too new" message the Lightroom version you have installed is not current.

Which version of Lightroom is installed?? I'm not sure how to check on Windows but under Properties I guess...

• 4. Re: where's my catalog?
                elie-d Level 4

Which version of Lightroom is installed?? I'm not sure how to check on Windows but under Properties I guess...

Help/System Info

• 5. Re: where's my catalog?
                  10smallthings Level 1

Lightroom 5.7 is installed but when I went to updates, it says that I'm all up to date.

• 6. Re: where's my catalog?

Which version have you paid for?? 5 or 6 or are you on CC which seems unlikely??

If you have Lightroom 5 installed and are trying to open catalogs from a previously used Lightroom 6 version (trial or not) you will get that message when trying to open the new catalogs.

How many catalogs do you have?? You can find them be searching for files ending with .lrcat....

• 7. Re: where's my catalog?
                      10smallthings Level 1

I paid for 5.  I only have one catalog on this pc and it's fairly small compared to my mac.  I bet your right that it's because the trial was 6 and my bought version is 5.  Would CC be a better way to go?

• 8. Re: where's my catalog?

You will need to research that. Sorry I can't help but I'm working on my phone in the middle of Africa right now...