7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 11:55 PM by Gwyn D Morgan

How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.

Gwyn D Morgan

How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.

• 1. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can download the latest DNG Converter from here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

The DNG Converter is not a plug-in.  It is a standalone program you run to convert your new camera’s raws into DNGs that are compatible with an older version of Adobe software.

If you want to work with the CR2s from your 5Ds directly in LR without having to convert to DNG, then you'll need to pay for an upgrade to LR 6/2015 as that camera was first supported in LR 6.0.

• 2. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.
            Gwyn D Morgan Level 1

Thanks that works although is a little inconvenient.

Can I upgrade my Lightroom so it will handle the RAW files directly - like it does for my old Canon?

I run Lightroom on two computers - my desktop which I use when at home and a laptop when I'm travelling.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.
              Gwyn D Morgan Level 1

Thanks that works although is a little inconvenient.

Can I upgrade my Lightroom so it will handle the RAW files directly - like

it does for my old Canon?

I run Lightroom on two computers - my desktop which I use when at home and a

laptop when I'm travelling.

Thanks

• 4. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.

According to Adobe's Supported Camera's list, the 5Ds needs LR 6.0 or newer...the current version at the moment is LR 6.3:

Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw

LR comes in two licensing models:  LR 6 and LR 2015.  Both are the same program but LR 6 is licensed by a serial number like LR 5 and before, whereas LR 2015 is licensed by having a current CC subscription, the cheapest being the Photography Plan including both LR and PS for US $120-annual billed at US $10/month.  LR 6 has the features LR 2015.0 had, but LR 2015.1 included the Dehaze function that the serial-number-licensed version won't get until LR 7, if there is a LR 7.  Personally I have the LR + PS CC plan for US $10/month.

You can get LR 6 (serial-number-licensed, no Dehaze) by clicking on the Products link on any non-forum adobe.com page, then clicking the Buy button next to LR and change the Full to Upgrade.  Make sure you have your serial number for LR 4 because it'll be required for registering LR 6.   The upgrade of LR 6 costs a one-time-fee of US $80.

If you can LR CC (and PS CC) then you can get that from the same place, the Products page:  http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software.html  If your subscription lapses, then you'll still be able to run LR but won't be able to get into the Develop module to make adjustments, so you can get at your current photos, just not make more adjustments to them.

LR 6/2015 has a minimum OS requirement newer than LR 4 and also requires a 64-bit OS, so before buying either of these, I'd suggest downloading and installing LR CC and running it as a trial.  if you then decide to get LR 6 you can license that LR CC trial any time to convert it to LR 6 (and lose Dehaze).  The LR 6/2015 installers can be found, here:  Install Photoshop Lightroom

• 5. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.
                  Gwyn D Morgan Level 1

Thanks for this.

I¹ll have a think about which way I go.

One question on the monthly subscription route if I decide to stop, can I

then purchase a one time upgrade so I can still play with what photos I

have?

• 6. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.

Assuming Adobe still sells a serial-number-licensed version in the future and the upgrade policy is the same as it is, now, then you could upgrade from LR 4 to whatever that future serial-number-licensed version is.

So far there has been nothing about transferred a CC license to a serial-number license, or vice versa with credit for one license type given to go to the other, but if you don't want to pay $120/year and also get PS which alone would have cost $300+ for an upgrade on top of LR's $80 for an upgrade, then yeah, you can downgrade the CC license to just LR for $80.  It would seem more cost effective to do that at either the beginning of the LR 7 cycle (if LR 7 comes out) or at the end of a CC subscription annual period, at least if Adobe charges an early cancellation fee like they've done in the past.

• 7. Re: How do i update my DNG Plugin for a Canon 5DS - I'm using Lightroom 4.
                      Gwyn D Morgan Level 1

Thanks for this.

My photo processing needs are pretty simple LR 4 does everything I want

and frankly I probably only use and/or understand about a quarter of what

it¹s capable of. And I¹m very happy with that quarter.

As you will see from my Adobe account, I¹ve bought many versions of LR all

of which coincide with either the acquisition of a new additional computer

or camera. I¹ve still not even got into PS. I¹ll wait until I retire and

have time to do a course.

Your information has been very helpful I¹ll contemplate some more but it

seems most software vendors are going down the route of subscription fees

rather than outright sales I guess it¹s better for cashflow management.

As for me I like simple if it works buy it and keep it. The mismatch is

there is always the next camera!!

Cheers

Gwyn