5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 1:23 PM by Richard M Knight

How to merge many hard drives into a single big one?

nasogalattico Level 1

Hi guys!

I work with different big projects every month (1TB and approx 2.000 files of media for each project).

When i start a project I put all files into one hard drive (D:) and work on that. When the project is over, i move everything into other hard drives that i use for archive.

I always try to keep consistent paths, so, for instance, if the project is under:

D:\videos projects\racebooking\2016\event 1\all media here

when i archive it i move it into

E:\videos projects\racebooking\2016\event 1\all media here

This way, if i re-open it, Premiere Pro automatically re-links media. Btw It's in another drive, so if i open it Premiere Pro has to re-link all media and, considering the size of the project, it usually takes 1-2 hours.

Also, having 10+ hard drives connected to my pc, has another problem. I keep forgetting where each project is!

Is there any way to virtually keep all the projects and all the files under the same address? Something that looks like one single BIG hard drive where i can expand the space whenever i want by just adding more drives?

Of course Raid 0 is a solution, but you know it's very dangerous and i don't wanna loose all my stuff.

Thanks for help!

[moved to Hardware Forum by mod]

• 1. Re: How to merge many hard drives into a single big one?
          cc_merchant Level 4

Start reading To Raid or not to Raid

One can think of putting 10 disks in a raid3 with 1 hot-spare, giving redundancy with up to 2 disk failures and ending up with 8x the storage capacity of a single disk and around 6.5 times the performance.

• 2. Re: How to merge many hard drives into a single big one?
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you are going to put all the disks into a traditional raid with a controller card, raid 5 should be used over 3 for better protection, but with that many disks raid 6 should be used.

if you are just looking to get all the archive drives into one drive letter, and don't need performance or cost of raid controller, then you could look at software storage pools. stablebit storage pool and fexraid are some of the several software programs available. windows 8 and 10 have refs/storage spaces available but im not sure it can do the same as the other software, which allow disks to be added without reformatting and loosing the data, or removing a single drive and retaining its data. i also don't trust refs, its had a long history of problems as microsoft has been trying to clone zfs for over a decade.

if you plan on adding more and more drives, and could end up with over 20, another option is an expandable nas system. a problem with a nas might be a slow network connection, unless you have/get a 10gbe network. if you have really old projects you want to keep around but don't plan on accessing much, a 1gb network nas could hold the really old projects while keeping more recent in the computer.

no matter which option, you need multiple copies of your data for it to be considered safe. it could be on separate external usb drives, another separate nas, or even cloud backup.

• 3. Re: How to merge many hard drives into a single big one?
              cc_merchant Level 4

if you are going to put all the disks into a traditional raid with a controller card, raid 5 should be used over 3 for better protection, but with that many disks raid 6 should be used.

FYI, raid5 gives no better or worse protection than raid3 since both have single parity, only worse performance than raid3 for video editing.

Raid6 has double parity, but that gives no more protection than raid3 with a hot-spare, which effectively doubles parity.

Rebuild times of raid5 are generally slower than raid3, because of its distributed parity.

• 4. Re: How to merge many hard drives into a single big one?
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

OP says he has 10+ drives, to even consider raid 3 or 5 is foolish. raid 6 is minimum for any kind of safety for that many drives, with or without hot-spare. if using a raid 3 + hot-spare, might as well put it to use in raid 6 to have the extra parity in place. if a second drive failed before the hot-spare finished replacing the first, raid 3 would be lost, where as putting it to active use in raid 6 would save the raid in the same situation.

• 5. Re: How to merge many hard drives into a single big one?
                  Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For backup I use a Drobo, my older version is not very fast but it is very flexible in the way it uses drives and it allows for easier HDD upgrade without having to rebuild the array.