4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 12:14 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom and updates to raw photo database

Alex O'D

I'm a first-time Lightroom CC user, and am trying to understand fully how to keep Lightroom sync'd to updates I make to my database of raw photos.

I have about 70,000 (350 GB) of raw photos in a directory tree within the Dropbox folder area on my MacBook Pro. These are split into folders by year. Within each year is a set of subfolders for each shoot -- for example, a folder might be called "2016-01-15 ngorongoro crater". Then within each of these folders are the actual raw image files.

I imported the existing set of raw images to Lightroom this morning. From here on out, I expect to make the following kinds of changes to the directory tree of raw photos:

-- Adding new folders/images going forward as I shoot new pictures.

-- Backfilling by adding folders to older years as I scan prints or locate previously known digital image files.

-- Deleting old folders and/or files if required (two folders might for example be redundant copies of the same raw images).

-- Moving existing folders/files if they are misfiled for some reason.

I imagine that as I shoot new pictures, after I add the folders/files to my directory tree I'll need to go into Lightroom and import each new directory. How do I handle deleting or moving folders/images? Is there a smart way to deal with this?

• 1. Re: Lightroom and updates to raw photo database
          Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yes. You move and delete folders in the folder tree on the left side of the Library module. Drag and drop for move. Right-click (ctrl-click on Mac) and choose Remove or Rename in the context menu. Once you've removed a folder in LR, you'll have to delete it using Explorer or Finder.

Note: if you move or rename or delete folders or images using your OS, Lightroom will lose track of those things and won't be able to work with them until you point it to what it considers missing.

Hal

• 2. Re: Lightroom and updates to raw photo database
            Alex O'D Level 1

Thanks, Hal. So to make sure I understand this correctly:

-- To delete a folder or file, do so in the folder tree on the left side of Lightroom's Library module. Then, I delete it in the OS (Finder or Explorer).

-- To move a folder or file, is this also a two-step process? Make the change first in Lightroom, then in the OS?

• 3. Re: Lightroom and updates to raw photo database
              Hal P Anderson Level 6

1. Folder yes. A file you cab delete several ways, but the easiest is to select it and hit the delete key. You get a dialogue box that asks whether to remove from LR or to delete from disk as well.

2 No. You drag the folder where you want it, and the job is done. For a file, you drag its thumbnail to the appropriate folder in the Folder panel and you're done. Make sure that you drag by the image and not the surrounding frame.

Hal

• 4. Re: Lightroom and updates to raw photo database
                dj_paige Level 9

-- To move a folder or file, is this also a two-step process? Make the change first in Lightroom, then in the OS?

Since you are a first time user, (in my opinion) you should be considering how to use the organizational features of Lightroom, specifically keywords and other metadata, instead of using old fashioned moving files and folders — in addition, the whole topic of moving files and folders seems to be a topic that gets beginners into no end of trouble. Keywords and other metadata eliminates these problems that Lightroom beginners seems to have, and also gives you more powerful organizational tools.