7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 3:20 AM by Kasyan Servetsky

Reverse engineering old inDesign/PDF file to current standards

GrannyKat Level 1

I am working with a digital publication created by my husband, now deceased. My goal is to re-create the publication as an EPUB so that it can be sold via Amazon, iBooks, or other digital distributors. I have experimented with InDesign to EPUB conversions with fixed layouts, which was marginally successful but preserve the hyperlinks as in the original. I had better success with using Amazon's Kindle Textbook publisher but only some of the hyperlinks worked. I combined all 10 PDFs into one large PDF and used the Textbook publisher -- mostly worked, including the hyperlinks to audio files, but many of the hyperlinks stopped working. My primary questions for the community are:

1. Do I need to change the way that the hyperlinks were created in order to keep the functionality with newer technology, EPUB standards, etc.
      2. Since the complete publication has over 3,000 pages, are there special tools in the latest Acrobat CC to deal with changes in a file that size (and how can I reduce the file size in a combinded PDF?
      3. Is there any action, script, batch process to automate the conversion of hyperlinks where necessary?

Any hints, assistance, or referrals to a person or persons who can help with this project would be greatly appreciated. I can supply a dropbox link to a sample of one of the PDFs if follks are interested.

Thanks, Kate Kleiman

Background on the publication

Given that this was created in 2002, this publication was way ahead of its time in terms of interactive features. Layout  was in InDesign (CS3?), containing 10 InDesign "books" and 74 individual .indd files. The files were exported to 30 PDF files that include images and MP3 files.  I can open in the latest CC and re-export to the current Acrobat with most of the functionality. However, there are 70,000 hyperlinks that allow the user to move between the different PDFs. For example, a word in the text is linked to a map with a hyperlink to a place, which is then linked to another location in either the same or a different PDF. The hyperlinks in the PDF were created in one of three ways:

1. Navigation in the same PDF as shown in below

2. Navigation to another PDF by URL

3.     Navigation via Java Script : GoToName("BB229","../TTCB/TTCB03")