5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 6:59 PM by gregoryr68490848

I currently own LR 2015 CC vs LR 2015 compatibility question.

gregoryr68490848

I was debating whether I should buy LR CC or simply upgrade my LR 2015 to LR 2016.  During a chat session one of the Adobe Staff advised me to try Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.  They said if I did not like it, I could go back to LR 2015 and or upgrade to LR 2016.  After playing the the tools, not sure I want to switch to LR CC.  I do not see me using Photoshop CC very often.  When I tried to open my Catalog with my version of LR 2015, I was told I could no longer do so because the Catalog was a newer format.  I do not want to buy LR 2016 only to find the same issue.  Does anyone know? 

• 1. Re: I currently own LR 2015 CC vs LR 2015 compatibility question.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you talking about?  LR 2015 is LR CC. 

LR 6.x is the serial-number-licensed version with less features but equivalent camera support to LR 2015.x, and LR 2015 is the LR CC subscription-licensed version that comes with PS CC.

If you do Help / System Info, what version of LR is listed at the top?

• 2. Re: I currently own LR 2015 CC vs LR 2015 compatibility question.
            gregoryr68490848 Level 1

I own LR 2015.  Current version that is on the computer is 5.7.1 64 Bit.  I downloaded the trail version of LR & PS CC to see if I wanted to transition to monthly subscription or simply upgrade to LR 2016.  LR CC on top.  Wanted to make sure that if I decided to just upgrade to LR 2016 vice sticking with trial version, I would not be locked out of my Catalog. 

Under System Info:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]

License: Trial

Operating system: Windows 7

Version: 6.1

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.1 GHz

Built-in memory: 16328.5 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16328.5 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 613.7 MB (3.7%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 607.8 MB

Memory cache size: 251.4 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.10750 Core Profile Context

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.10

GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS (actual = 32, minimum = 48)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Users\Gregory\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Gregory\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Canon Tether Plugin

2) Facebook

3) Flickr

4) Leica Tether Plugin

5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 1002

D

• 3. Re: I currently own LR 2015 CC vs LR 2015 compatibility question.
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

When you upgrade major versions (5.x to 6.x), LR migrates your data from the old format catalog to a new format catalog. Your new catalog is not backwards compatible with the old software. However, your old catalog is still on the hard drive unchanged. If you later choose to go back to LR5, you will just lose the edits done in LR6, although writing the XMP files can help a little with that backwards move.

• 4. Re: I currently own LR 2015 CC vs LR 2015 compatibility question.
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

There is no LR 2016, not yet any way. Right now there is LR 2015.3 and the stand alone version LR 6.3.

What you now own is LR 5.7.1 which actually came out in 2013 and has been updated through 2014 and the start of 2015. Until LR CC 2015/6 came out in April 2015.

If you actually have LR 2015.3 installed on your system it is either the trial version or you already have a subscription.

If you have a subscription you don't have to buy another or buy whatever Adobe comes out with in the future. It is all covered by the subscription plan.

• 5. Re: I currently own LR 2015 CC vs LR 2015 compatibility question.
                  gregoryr68490848 Level 1

Thank you.  Realize I was confusing LR 5 & 6 with 2015 and 2016.  Appreciate the help.