4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 4:15 PM by Just Shoot Me

why am I getting repeated corrupted lightroom catalogs and how can I fix?

jennya4705325

I am currently using Lightroom 6 on an iMac.  I have upgraded from LR 5 (and 4 previously).  LR 5 worked well for me, but now I am having problems with LR6.

I upgraded to LR 6 several months ago.  The first problem I had was it stopped uploading files from my camera cards - so I started copying the photos to my hard drive and then uploading from there.  Other than the extra time that seems to be working.

More recently I have been having problems with LR6 saying my catalog is corrupted.  I have repaired it and it has re-corrupted several times over the last few weeks.

Can you please provide any information on how I might fix this? 

I have a large number of photos (200,000+) in the catalog - is there an upper limit I might be reaching?

Should I uninstall and reinstall the software?  Anything I need to do first to make sure I don't lose anything?

Thank you,

Jenny

• 1. Re: why am I getting repeated corrupted lightroom catalogs and how can I fix?
          dj_paige Level 9

There is no upper limit to the number of photos. People report larger catalogs.

My guess is that your hard drive is starting to fail, causing the corruption. You ought to run diagnostics on your hard drive.

• 2. Re: why am I getting repeated corrupted lightroom catalogs and how can I fix?
            jennya4705325 Level 1

I don't think the catalog is saving to the hard drive - looks to me like it's going to one of my external drives - I don't see how to change it to my hard drive - do you know how?  I went to catalog preferences but it doesn't allow me to change it there.  Also, can you please clarify - does it keep the catalog in two spots or just one?  (I can't seem to find where it is saving a primary copy and backing up a separate location) - thanks!!

• 3. Re: why am I getting repeated corrupted lightroom catalogs and how can I fix?
              dj_paige Level 9

The only way to move the catalog file to a different drive is to use your operating system to do the move, then double-click on the catalog file to open it.

Your catalog file is stored only one time. You have to turn on the backup feature in Lightroom to make backups (and you'd also need to make backups of your photos, which has to be done outside of Lightroom)

• 4. Re: why am I getting repeated corrupted lightroom catalogs and how can I fix?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

jennya4705325 wrote:

I don't think the catalog is saving to the hard drive - looks to me like it's going to one of my external drives - I don't see how to change it to my hard drive - do you know how?  I went to catalog preferences but it doesn't allow me to change it there.  Also, can you please clarify - does it keep the catalog in two spots or just one?  (I can't seem to find where it is saving a primary copy and backing up a separate location) - thanks!!

Copy the LR catalog file from your external drive to your internal drive then Open that catalog file in LR. Then go to the LR preferences and on the General tab in the Default Catalog area select the drive/folder where you have copied your catalog or the option "Load most resent catalog". Then close and reopen LR.

But if the catalog file has become corrupted several times in the last few weeks you have a problem with that external drive. If after you copy the catalog file to your internal drive and you still get a corrupted catalog file then you have a problem with the hardware in your computer.