5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 11:03 PM by echolocation

Is there a way to scale a shape layer while scaling its border radius?

echolocation

Right now, the original border radius remains fixed, so it doesn't scale proportionally with the shape layer.

Otherwise, are there workarounds people recommend that don't involve importing a bitmap?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to scale a shape layer while scaling its border radius?
          Arbi Level 1

Try adding an expression and pick whip the size to the Roundness maybe?

• 2. Re: Is there a way to scale a shape layer while scaling its border radius?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. Here are my thoughts on a few possible scenarios. It sounds like you are animating the size of Rectangle 1 (default name for shape layer with a rounded rectangle).

1. If you are trying to animate the size of a rounded rectangle and have the radius of the corners change proportionally with the size then you can simply animate the Transform>Scale of the shape layer or animate the Rectangle 1>Transform Rectangle 1>Scale and the roundness will scale up proportionally
            2. If you are trying to animate the size of Rectangle 1 and have the roundness of the corners change proportionally then you need to set up a relationship between the size of the original radius and the size of the rectangle so that the ratio is 100% at the original size using an expression. This is rather complex and the expression you would add to roundness looks like this:

or = value; // original roundness

s = content("Rectangle 1").content("Rectangle Path 1").size[0]; // using the X value

r = .1 * s/or; // converts ratio to a percentage

newR = value * r

Using an expression is more difficult and doesn't gain you anything in functionality or speed over using scale. It also requires that you set original value of the roundness property before you enable the expression. Using the expression method could also foul up things if you wanted to add a repeater and use scale as an option.

If that doesn't answer your question please explain further and show us a screenshot with the modified properties of the layer giving you problems revealed so we can figure out exactly what you are trying to do. Reveal all modified properties of a selected layer by pressing the U key twice. Add a screenshot by pressing the return key in the reply field of this forum and then drag the full size screenshot to the form.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to scale a shape layer while scaling its border radius?
              echolocation Level 1

If I use the Rounded Rectangle Tool (shortcut key Q), and then resize the rect shape, the corner radius gets stretched (the shape on the right side in the screenshot). I saw that the "Roundness" value is still 20 for both shapes though. My goal is to resize rect shapes while preventing this radius stretching.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 1.19.00 AM.png

• 4. Re: Is there a way to scale a shape layer while scaling its border radius?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I said in my first post change the size not the scale and the roundness will stay the same.

Use scale and the roundness value will stay the same but everything including the radius will scale up.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to scale a shape layer while scaling its border radius?
                  echolocation Level 1

I see, that worked!

Yeah, when I first read your response, it sounded like a solution for animating size after the initial state had been set up. But it sounds like the way to even set up the initial sizes is by changing the values of the size property in the composition panel, instead of any of the point-dragging techniques from Photoshop.

Thanks!