5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 5:17 AM by Chunick

Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today.

Allen_Partridge-1MiBZx Adobe Employee
      Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today. It is a simple update that includes no changes in features or functionality. Some small elements of the plugin, which in no way affect the multimedia engine, installations, or other performance aspects, have been updated. We anticipate no change whatsoever in plugin performance. This version of the plugin was extensively tested to ensure reliability by the Adobe Director / Shockwave Quality Engineering team.

The next release of the plugin will include new features, and changes and is currently being thoroughly tested by an experienced group of more than 150 independent and third party developers along with the Adobe Director Quality Engineering team. Third party developers with business critical dependencies on Shockwave should contact Adobe Director Shockwave Technology Evangelist Allen Partridge, allenp at adobe dot com, in order to apply for enrollment in Shockwave pre-release testing.

Dr. Allen Partridge
      Technology Evangelist
      Adobe Director – Shockwave
      Adobe Software Inc.
      Indiana, PA USA
        • 1. Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today.
          Nanomedia Level 1
          Now in c:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\ there are 5 similar executables:
          SwHelper_1100429.exe
          SwHelper_1100458.exe
          SwHelper_1100465.exe
          SwHelper_1100470.exe
          SwHelper_1103472.exe
          Only the last one is used.
          Do we have to manually delete the previous versions?
          You said something about the Shockwave Quality Engineering team...
          • 2. Re: Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today.
            ShortSchoolBus
            I was very disappointed when I learned that Norton Security Scan was installed in a bundle with Adobe Shockwave 11.
            Although Norton Security Scan is optional, the option is selected by default and people (like my child) will unwittingly install it when they download Shockwave.
            This is a marketing strategy which amounts to spam!
            Worse yet is that Norton Security Scan automatically reinstalls itself when the system boots. Even after being uninstalled through Windows Program Manager, Norton Security Scan will automatically reinstall upon system boot.

I literally had to go through my system and manually remove the Norton Security Scan files to stop this from happening!

Anyone else with this problem on Windows Vista 32-bit can stop Norton Security Scan from reinstalling by doing the following -

Delete C:\Windows\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\nssstub.exe from your system.

Also in C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Temp
            Remove or quarantine all of the files with Norton in the name.
            Also in the same folder, Remove or quarantine NSSstub.txt

This is a nuisance! This optional software bundle should not be selected and installed by default.
            • 3. Re: Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today.
              mziskandar Level 1
              Agreed with ShortSchoolBus! Most PC/Laptops already have Anti-virus especially when those machines wants/able to go online. I already experience much trouble with Norton. Thanks for the solution given - removing the pest/spam - and I consider it as a virus too..

Having 2 Anti-virus in one machine will give optimum security right? - or may be cause conflict in ones machine - fighting for authority - causing system to hog and crash..

This kind of strategy reminds me of Microsoft Updates - Installing those Firefox plug-ins without permission (I wonder what Microsoft got to do with Firefox?)

I am the master of my machine. I will install what I want, when I want and where I want.
              • 4. Re: Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today.
                cath88

Hi ShortSchoolBus,

I having a similar problem but my message says 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shockwave’

I was just wondering with your comment below:

How do i find C:\Windows\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\nssstub.exe and C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Temp . I am using Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

• 5. Re: Shockwave version 11.0.3.472, releases today.
                  Chunick Level 3
                  I literally had to go through my system and manually remove the Norton Security Scan files to stop this from happening!

Anyone else with this problem on Windows Vista 32-bit can stop Norton Security Scan from reinstalling by doing the following -

This is a nuisance! This optional software bundle should not be selected and installed by default.

Yes, I believe that it hurts the product and brand in the long run that they have opt-out 3rd party software, but they're by far not the only large company that does this with their software.

Anyways, DO NOT uninstall Norton's manually. To clean most Norton's products from your system as fully as you can, use their removal tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

And for those of you who are still paranoid about using their removal tool to remove their software - this tool came about because of customer complaints, so it does what it says.