27 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 5:59 PM by harrym62494194

Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

Esferobite

I'm working with After Effects 13.6.1.6 and experimenting problems with real time previews.
      I am working with OSX 10.11.2 on an iMac 5K with 24GB Ram and SSD disc 2GB videoRAM.

Even working in a tiny composition with a solid moving up and down, the preview doesn't work properly, and only reaches 15-17 fps.

The only way to get a perfect real time preview is avoiding the playhead to be visible on the timeline, scaling it as much as possible.

Any idea about this'

thanks in advance

Juan

• 1. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Google search or search this forum and you'll find dozens of threads on the problem. It's common and a bug. I'd also install CC 2014. Preview works in that version if you system meets the minimum requirements.

• 2. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
            simon Deshon

Hi Rick ...any idea how to install AE 2014? i don't see it available on Adobe's Cloud?

Best Simon

• 3. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
              iestynx Level 1

Please fix this Adobe. This is meant to be a professional application.

Will incorperating 'Metal' improve the situation? Adobe After Effects and Illustrator on Metal (Demonstration at WWDC 2015 by David McGavran) - YouTube

• 4. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

simon Deshon wrote:

...any idea how to install AE 2014? i don't see it available on Adobe's Cloud?

It's there; you just need to know where to look! It's anoyingly tucked away. How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

• 5. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

iestynx wrote:

Will incorperating 'Metal' improve the situation?

No. Metal was demonstrated as a way to accelerate effects. That is, to render them more quickly. The issue that this thread is discussing is playing the already rendered parts of the composition back from RAM/Cache. Metal (or any other way to accelerate the rendering of effects) would only make it be ready to preview more quickly. The playback of the preview is the big problem.

Apple changed something in their OS that messes with AE's new previewing architecture. From what I've heard from the Adobe people, they are working to try to fix the issue.

• 6. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                    Esferobite Level 1

Today was lauched the 13.7 update, but after install it, the problem is NOT solved for my.
                    This is really crazy.

• 7. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                      StephaneA_AfterEffects Level 1

Yes and this bug is still there too:

"Audio is no longer silent for the first 2 seconds of previews after the composition has been fully cached, if the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time preference is enabled."

What make me crazy is that update after update Adobe keep saying that it is fixed while it is not.

These RAM preview bugs are not tolerable in a professional software !!!

• 8. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                        antoinelp

Same here on 13.7.

I can't believe it's still not fixed. How could we use After Effects without real time preview ?

In my case I'm back on CC 2014...

• 9. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                          jakehawley

Hi,

Same problem. 13.7 Seems the composition is not updating like normal. After making changes, you have to scrub/click in the timeline to update the composition. very frustrating and slowing me way down.

• 10. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

Me too I went back to CC 2014.

Witch OSX system are you running ? Yosemite or El Capitan ?

• 11. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                              simon Deshon Level 1

guys where can I download 2014? when I follow steps to 'Previous Apps' in the Adobe Cloud I get tow or three Apps only NOT AE 2014?

• 12. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                antoinelp Level 1

El Capitan since last week, and I think it was a little bit better on Yosemite with CC 2015 for real time preview.

Now it's barely 16 frames instead of 25.

• 14. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                  antoinelp Level 1

You click on "Previous version" (or something similar because mine is not in english) and then "All apps" and you should see the previous versions of the suite.

Are you on a full plan or only AE ? Full suite in my case.

• 15. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                    jakehawley Level 1

Apparently you can't drag files into the project window either. Adobe has done a real number on this update. Quick fix Pleeeeeaasssse.

• 16. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

I don't know if it's what you mean but draging a file from the finder into the project window of AE does import the footage.

It does work.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5 btw

• 17. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                        jakehawley Level 1

I'm on 10.11.2 El Capitan. AE 13.7.0.124 and drag/importing not working for me.

• 18. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

I wonder what they are doing.

They are really casual about what they do. I can't understand how an update can be released pretending solving problems witch is so obviously not.

Is there nobody at Adobe who can just create a comp, put a footage in the timline and do a RAM preview ? Is it too much complicated ?  It's a job an intern can do.

Right now I'm learning Nuke and Fusion because I get sick and  tired of the Adobe's lousy support.

[moderator removed inappropriate language]

• 19. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

One fix that's worked for people is to move all your panels to your main monitor. That will often result in real-time playback. Give it a try!

• 20. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

Szalam,

Thank you but all the panels are already in my main monitor, I use an other monitor for video preview (mercury transmit). Switching on/off mercury transmit doesn't fix anything.

The problem is that AE can't stabilizes the fps rate right after the RAM preview. As long as a stable 25 or 30 fps (or what ever you choose as your comp fps setting) is reached the audio doesn't play.

The first play right after the RAM preview the audio never starts because AE never reach the proper fps. In the info panel there is this message: "Mixing audio for preview", witch is odd.

I have to stop and hit again "0" to relaunch a RAM preview and these time during the first 2 seconds there is no audio because AE still doesn't play realtime but after these two seconds the fps stabilzes, AE plays the timeline in realtime and the preview with audio synch runs ok.

Don't you have this kind of problem ?

Capture.jpg

• 21. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are looking for audio previews try setting SKIP to 1 frame. It's a bandaid but it may work.

• 22. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

StephaneA_AfterEffects wrote:

Thank you but all the panels are already in my main monitor, I use an other monitor for video preview (mercury transmit). Switching on/off mercury transmit doesn't fix anything.

Darn! That worked for some people.

Making sure Mercury Transmit is off, turn your other monitor off so that your Mac only sees the one (double-check that it doesn't see it in your system preferences). Try running the preview again.

Also, try unchecking the "Mute Audio if Preview is not Realtime" preference.

If that doesn't work, try moving stuff around so that you don't see the playhead (AKA preview time indicator) and run a preview. Some people said that having it out of view got them realtime previews. Annoying, but if it works...

You don't have any kind of AJA, Kona, Blackmagic, etc. preview hardware hooked into your system do you?

Also, try turning off (or on) the hardware acceleration for UI panels (or whatever the actual wording is) option.

If you don't use the cache before playback option, does it get up to real time once it loops back around?

Don't you have this kind of problem ?

No. I run AE on Windows 7 computers and on Mac with OSX Mavericks - this lack of realtime issue seems to be primarily affecting folks with Yosemite or El Capitan (and I refused to upgrade to either one). I had a few little preview issues with earlier versions of CC 2015 on both Windows 7 and Mavericks, but those bugs got fixed and 13.6.1 has been working really well. I haven't had much time to test 13.7 on my systems.

I have seen people here (and on Reddit) mention the missing audio bug has been fixed with 13.7 - however, their issue (the bug that Adobe fixed in 13.7) seems different from your issue. They weren't getting audio even when it previewed realtime. Your issue seems to be more related to the fact that it's not giving stable full frame rate playback. While this is definitely a serious bug (you can file a bug report here, by the way, so that Adobe can see it - they don't monitor the forums full time, but they do read and file every bug report - the more, the better), I'm hoping I can help you figure out a workaround that at least gets you going. Most folks who went back to CC 2014 have been able to use 13.6.1 or 13.7 and I'd like to help you be one of them!

• 23. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

Szalam, you at Adobe (as obviously you are an Adobe community manager), you should stop to fool around people and start to seriously fix this bug ok ?

1/ "Making sure Mercury Transmit is off" It is not  to your customers to adapt their workflow to your new crappy code ok ? I want to use Mercury transmit because I need it when I work with my clients. But even so, turning on/off mercury doesn't solves the problem.

2/ I don't want to uncheck "Mute Audio if Preview is not Realtime" in preferences because when I do a RAM preview I need that audio and video play synch AT REALTIME. It is one of the main purpose of RAM preview: checking video with the audio at a given fps at realtime. Get it ? ok ? This "Mute audio" option is stupid and obviously made by a guy who doesn't use AE for a living.

3/ "try moving stuff around so that you don't see the playhead (AKA preview time indicator) and run a preview" Yes like prewing full screen using the ` key is a work around. But it is not usefull because when you watch your preview you need to watch the timeline in the same to check what's going on. When you are full screen you are "blind".

The question is rather why don't you fix the problem if you know what it is ? Obviously there is a probleme with the display of the timeline panel witch cause RAM preview not playing at realtime at some point. This is what you have to solve.

4/ "I have seen people here (and on Reddit) mention the missing audio bug has been fixed with 13.7" Well here (Adobe forum), there are people who are not so pleased Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124 I know, I know you are about to telling me that it is not the same issue. I disagree, I think it is. But, what ever, it doesn't matter, what does matter is the fact that after three releases the RAM preview is still disfunctional. Just tell to the dev to fix it.

We professional users we need to work with stable and reliable softwares. I don't have time to complain about things that should had been fixed long time ago. It is the third version since Adobe switched to this new RAM preview code and it is still disfunctional. IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

• 24. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

Szalam, you at Adobe (as obviously you are an Adobe community manager), you should stop to fool around people and start to seriously fix this bug ok ?

I'm sorry you're mad, but I can't help you in the way that you're asking because I don't work for Adobe. I'm just a user who likes to help other users in the forums. My full-time job is mostly Cinema 4D and AE work, but I also do some shooting and editing. I pop here into the forums when I'm waiting for renders, on lunch, or whatnot to try to help.

All of the steps I suggested were troubleshooting or workaround ideas to see if I could help you get working more smoothly until Adobe solves the problem. I was not suggesting long-term solutions. I was also not intending to imply that any of those workarounds were a reasonable replacement for Adobe actually fixing the bug.

This "Mute audio" option is stupid and obviously made by a guy who doesn't use AE for a living.

The "Mute Audio if Preview is not Realtime" option is there because people found it irritating to hear the audio playing in bits and pieces. Some people like to hear the audio no matter what, others only want to hear it when it is playing realtime. There was quite a bit of discussion about it when Adobe first introduced the new previewing architecture in version 13.5.0 and previews weren't playing in realtime, so rather than pick one way or the other, Adobe let us pick what works for us.

Just tell to the dev to fix it.

We professional users we need to work with stable and reliable softwares. I don't have time to complain about things that should had been fixed long time ago. It is the third version since Adobe switched to this new RAM preview code and it is still disfunctional. IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I would love to be able to "just go tell the dev to fix it", but I don't work for Adobe, so I can't. I agree with you that it's unacceptable for this issue to continue. I'm amazed the bug is still around too! I did not intend to upset you; I was just trying to help you as best I can.

• 25. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                                        iestynx Level 1

Just noting that the real time preview and audio is still an issue for me too, using 13.7 on 10.11.3

• 26. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6

Yes, that bug is still present. A workaround is to hide the timeline panel (or, more specifically, to hide the preview time indicator). The easiest and quickest way to do that is the ` (tilde key) keyboard shortcut to make the composition panel full screen.

The next update to AE is targeted to fix the issue as Todd explains in this post: Re: After Effects 2015 won't preview in real time after El Capitan update.

• 27. Re: Real Time preview not working in 13.6.1.6
                                                            harrym62494194

Click on the Comp window then ` (tilde Key) and hit spacebar and magically audio plays in RealTime!

` (tilde key) keyboard shortcut works as a bandaid for now thanks for the tip!