5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 2:57 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign crashes

DerFremde
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 MHz, 4 Kern(e), 8 logische(r) Prozessor(en)
      • 24 GB RAM
      • NVidia Quadro K620
      • Latest versions of CC2015 apps

This happend a few times now with increasing frequency after updating CC in - I think it was - November 2015:

I start !InDesign and open a file. The file opens and then InDesign freezes. I have to close it using the Windows Task Manager. I start InDesign again, it recovers the file and freezes again. I end it using the Task Manager. I start it again, dump the recovery, open another file, it freezes again. I restart my system and sometimes that helps and InDesign works again. Today that didn't help but now Photoshop freezes along with InDesign.

I have deleted the preference file, tried things I read in your forum - nothing helps. Everything was smooth before the 2015.2 update.

It is really annoying that with every update one has to face new and worse problems than before. Don't roll out an update if you haven't tested it properly.

• 1. Re: InDesign crashes
          Derek Cross Level 6

This is a user-to-user forum, not Adobe.

You state you have deleted your preferences, are you sure you did!

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and accept Yes to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences.

You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

As Peter Spier has mentioned in an earlier reply: "If something is causing the preferences to become corrupt on a regular basis you need to look at what else is running that could be causing the problem".

• 2. Re: InDesign crashes
            DerFremde Level 1

Derek Cross schrieb:

This is a user-to-user forum, not Adobe.

Sorry, I must have ended up in the wrong forum. Thanks for the heads up. Will copy/paste it to the correct forum (there is one official adobe, is there?).

You state you have deleted your preferences, are you sure you did!

Yeah, I'm sure. I'm deleting preference files since 1996 or something, by now I know how to do it.

• 3. Re: InDesign crashes
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like you deleted only half of the preference set. The open recent list is stored in the InDesign SavedData file, and that is giving many users problems with trying to access files located on an unavailable network location. Setting the recent list to 0 should solve that. There are also reports of hangs (and it sounds more like a hang than a crash) with trying to synch the CC libraries.

• 4. Re: InDesign crashes
                DerFremde Level 1

Peter Spier schrieb:

Sounds like you deleted only half of the preference set. The open recent list is stored in the InDesign SavedData file, and that is giving many users problems with trying to access files located on an unavailable network location.

All my files are stored locally but I'll try removing this list as well. Thanks.

Peter Spier schrieb:

There are also reports of hangs (and it sounds more like a hang than a crash) with trying to synch the CC libraries.

I'll try to disable libraries as well. Is that in the InDesign preferences or somewhere else?

• 5. Re: InDesign crashes
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've never paid much attention to how to disable them (I don't use CC versions for production), but there are a number of threads here about it if you search.

And these are the official Adobe forums, no longer called user-to-user as, in theory, there is now some staff involvement too, though it is much more likely you will get help from a knowledgeable volunteer..