10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 8:51 AM by ECBowen

Corsair RM

coredvideo Level 1

So i've looking around for mid range PSU, after looking on the web and wasting my time i though why not go to ADKvideoediting web site and check what they been offering in there customized systems huh! they've options for corsair rm 750/850 etc.
      Then i asked a friend for this series and he sent me this
      Why you might not want to buy a Corsair RM PSU

now i'm lost! anyone have used RM750 ?

Regards

• 1. Re: Corsair RM
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

buying any psu can be tricky, almost every one on the market is a rebranded oem, including corsair. the vendors like corsair then step in and request changes to the psu to meet their specific need. sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. corsair made their reputation for quality psu's and parts off the tx series years ago, when they were of high quality, made by seasonic. but corsair has since mostly turned to the lower quality oem's to supply their psu's and turned their back on the quality that got them their reputation.

there are other pc part vendors that do the same, most constantly shift oem's for whatever reason, probably cost savings. so psu's are probably one of the trickier parts to pick and research. usually the corsair top end hx and ax is ok, but even the hx has had problems. the corsair rmx and rmi are getting somewhat good reviews over the rm.

evga's one of the few vendors to offer a good lineup from quality oem's. i think they started with the lower quality oem's and got a bad reputation. so perhaps they are still trying to repair their reputation, or don't want to repeat it. their models, the GS, G2, P2, and T2, have been from the better psu oem's, and getting good reviews to back it. they have several models, the g1 and gq models are made from a lower end oem and the lower ranked reviews reflect that.

seasonic is one of the better oem's and they do sell their own psu's on the market. evga's GS are seasonic, and corsairs AX are seasonic.

• 2. Re: Corsair RM
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

We are looking at different PSU's at this point since the failure rate has been higher on those Corsair RM. I would recommend Coolermaster definitely and suggest looking at EVGA 10 year warranty PSU's.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Corsair RM

which coolermaster model(s) would you recommend? they have lots of models and oem's, some ok, some bad, very few good. they appear to have more bad models than good. like other's, they constantly switch oem's on models...

• 4. Re: Corsair RM

Silent Pro was bullet proof for 8 years. We would still be using them but the availability became far to sporadic a year and half ago. We could source them anywhere for a while.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Corsair RM

looks like the silent pro models from coolermaster, are from Enhance Electronics. do you like that oem?

the really good reviews for coolermaster psu's are on their seasonic models. those are a very select few, and seem to be on their way out. too many other coolermaster models are just bleh, i've never took them as a vendor focusing on quality, so i don't focus on them.

• 6. Re: Corsair RM
                    coredvideo Level 1

Eric, we need to adjust in market capacity as various dealers here don't offer EVGA or CM, So I'm going to buy Thermaltake smart modular 730 for my tiny miny i7 with no over clocking.

What do you think about this model and I have no choice other then Thermaltake smart series lol

Regards

• 7. Re: Corsair RM

if that's your only choice, do they at least have the gold rated models?  most of thermaltake's smart series are made by the same oem as the corsair rm, CWT. they are probably around the same quality level as the corsair RM. there are some highly rated/reviewed CWT psu's, but it appears they offer just as many poor models. ever since the copy cat case scandal from thermaltake, i've questioned their dedication to providing good parts over the easy path of copying and rebranding to turn a quick profit.

• 8. Re: Corsair RM

I don't like Seasonic normally because the failure rate can be all over the place depending on the models. We only went with the Corsair RM because they were so quiet and could not source the Coolermaster. When the Corsair was discussed here back at the switch I warned about the variability in reliability but was overruled due to lack of other options. What I can tell you for sure is those Coolermaster Silent Pro Series were the most reliable PSU series we have ever used and I have dealt with. The failure rate was less than 1 % and the longevity well beyond the 5 year warranty in most cases. So take what you will about the ODM for Coolermaster since those likely change based on pricing and could be behind why the Coolermasters were so hard to get after a year and half ago. At this point EVGA is what we are going to look at currently and see if they are quiet enough to consider and then go from there.  If we could consistently source Coolermaster Silent Pros again we would be using those without question.

Thermaltake PSU's have been about as average as Antec. We used them for a time back atleast 8 years ago on systems and they were solid. Just not as reliable as the Coolermaster. Antec reliability completely depended on the model. Some were great and others were horrible. A 730W PSU should be more than enough.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Corsair RM

i'm somewhat new to the psu oem concept, only learning about it a couple of years ago. seasonic does have varying quality models, all mfg's seem to, but i've noticed them being in many of the very best rated psu's as well. like any other brand, including asus, i would avoid their bottom offerings. seasonic being the oem that gave corsiar their quality reputation and helped launched them into an already populated marketplace, as well as in their top models the AX, also makes me believe in seasonic as an oem. seasonic isn't alone at the top rated psu mfg's, so i don't consider them the go-to mfg, and my next psu purchase won't be limited to seasonic.

i have a silent/hybrid seasonic psu, the fan only turns on when needed. i don't know if it's ever had to turn on since i only use about 45% of the psu's rated watts under full load. i also can't hear much from my silent fractal design case, with its sound dampening material. under full load my video card fans make most of the noise. seasonic offers completely silent models as well, no fan at all.

the reviews i look at only tear apart and rank new units build and part quality, and power testing. they don't/can't speak to reliability after years in use like you are able to.

• 10. Re: Corsair RM

Seasonic is an ODM as far as I am aware. The Manufacturers such as Corsair have a choice based on pricing and MOQ what components are used in the PSU ie origin/quality. EVGA even though Seasonic uses Japanese components atleast on the higher end PSU's. Corsair does not as far as I can find atleast for the RM series which would explain the variability in failure rate. Coolermaster may or may not at this point for the Silent Pro series but even if they were sourcing from elsewhere the reliability was excellent.

Eric

ADK