8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 9:23 AM by thedigitaldog

How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?

Wadiest

There doesn't seem to be any options relating to colour profiles in the publishing service's settings, and though my source images are raws and my Lightroom prefs are to use ProPhoto RGB, the uploaded images are sRGB (and not colour-accurate to what I see in Lightroom, as a result).

• 1. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?
          dj_paige Level 9

I think the answer depends on what browser you are using to view the photos on Flickr, some are properly color managed and others are not.

Adobe RGB will not help here.

• 2. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?
            Wadiest Level 1

I'm aware of the issues some browsers have with displaying colours correctly.  That's not the problem here.  Lightroom is exporting the images as sRGB.

• 3. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Probably a bad idea to upload anything expect sRGB to the web and mobile devices. So many are not color managed and an Adobe RGB (1998) image will not preview correctly. So many such devices have a gamut smaller than Adobe RGB (1998) anyway, you gain nothing but headaches.

• 4. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?
                Wadiest Level 1

I don't care about browsers that lack colour profile support, or viewers with gamut-limited monitors.

• 5. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?

Wadiest wrote:

I don't care about browsers that lack colour profile support, or viewers with gamut-limited monitors.

Well maybe you can explain your goal and why you think you need the images in Adobe RGB (1998)? How about ProPhoto RGB?

• 6. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?
                    Wadiest Level 1

ProPhoto RGB might be viable too, but that's not an option either in any case.

Traditionally I've used AdobeRGB (1998) because it's supported by everything (raw converters, photo editors, etc).  And it's not hard to get a display that has ~100% coverage (whereas I'm not aware of any displays that have full ProPhoto RGB coverage yet, though presumably one day).  It's even easier to find displays with greater than sRGB coverage, even if they're still only a subset of AdobeRGB.

• 7. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

This third-party Flickr plugin lets you choose the color profile: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Export to Flickr” Lightroom Plugin. The author's plugins have an excellent reputation and he generally maintains his plugins better than Adobe maintains the built-in plugins.

• 8. Re: How do I use Adobe RGB when publishing to Flickr?

Wadiest wrote:

ProPhoto RGB might be viable too, but that's not an option either in any case.

Why would that be?

Traditionally I've used AdobeRGB (1998) because it's supported by everything (raw converters, photo editors, etc).  And it's not hard to get a display that has ~100% coverage (whereas I'm not aware of any displays that have full ProPhoto RGB coverage yet, though presumably one day).  It's even easier to find displays with greater than sRGB coverage, even if they're still only a subset of AdobeRGB.

I don't know what you mean by supported. Again, there are products that know what Adobe RGB (1998) is, and know where and how to use your display profile for a proper preview. These are color managed app's. And there are lots of applications that don't. They 'assume' sRGB. They simply send the RGB values to the screen and have no clue what a display profile is.  IF you upload data and the later comes into play, the preview will look awful. You can test this yourself if you have Photoshop. Open a document in Adobe RGB (1998) and Assign sRGB; result is an ugly and incorrect preview.

The only main difference between sRGB and the other RGB working space is the size of their color gamut. Considering a huge majority of web and mobil devices have display technology that doesn't exceed sRGB, you gain NOTHING by uploading the data in Adobe RGB (1998). That would not be the case IF the output were to some printer; all exceed sRGB somewhere in color space.

IF you upload sRGB and someone with a wider gamut display views it color managed, fine.

Printing the images? Yes, Adobe RGB (1998) and better ProPhoto are the way to go.