1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 8:35 AM by robgendreau

Folders Missing from Catalog

jimg44314 Level 1

Recently, I noticed that 18 folders containing images captured over the last half of 2015 were absent from my catalog.  All of my images are placed in a single catalog.  These folders, and the images placed within them, are present in in the master folder on my hard drive where all of my images are stored, in catalog backups that I created after every significant use of Lightroom, and in my trash folder.  I can say, with certainty, that I did not delete these folders and images accidentally or intentionally.  I suspect that these images can be imported again but probably without settings and, perhaps, metadata.  I know that I can revert to the last catalog backup that contains these images but I would lose a substantial amount of work performed in the last couple of weeks tagging hundreds of images with keywords and adjusting development settings.

Oh do I hope that someone can explain this situation and help me with a resolution.

• 1. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
          dj_paige Level 9

Find the last catalog backup that has these folders, select the desired folders/photos and then File->Export as Catalog.

Then in your master catalog, import this exported catalog.

• 2. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
            jimg44314 Level 1

Hi dj,

Thank you for the prompt reply.  I followed your instructions but the

missing folders and files were not restored to the master catalog.  A couple

of points:

When importing the exported catalog there were were some options that you

did not mention.  The attached screen shot displays the options that I

selected.

When I imported the exported catalog, I imported the catalog file and not

the data file.  Should I have imported both?  The catalog file is 5 MB and

the data file is 79 MB.

I also have some issues regarding missing photos.  Perhaps we can talk about

that when we resolve the missing folders/files.

Jim

• 3. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
              dj_paige Level 9

No screen capture is attached. You have to use the web interface in order to attach a screen capture. Please read this regarding these options: How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto

You only need to import the catalog file. No importing of photos is needed.

• 4. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                jimg44314 Level 1

I thought I had attached it.  Hopefully this will reach you.

• 5. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

No attachment. Did you read the link I provided?

• 6. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                    jimg44314 Level 1

I read your message more carefully and understand that I can¹t send a screen

shot to you directly.  I read the instructions in linked article but didn¹t

get very far.  When I imported the exported catalog I got the message:

³There is nothing to import from the catalog you have selected.  All of the

catalog's photos are up to date in the current catalog.²

I exported the backup catalog a second time giving it another name but the

subsequent import gave me the same message.

I optimized the current Catalog but that did not help.  The folders and

images are still absent.  I got the message:

"Your catalog was last optimized 1/18/16 @ 10:30 AM. If it has been running

slowly and you haven't optimized it recently, optimizing it again may

improve performance.  Optimization may take several minutes. You will be

unable to use Lightroom during this time.²

BTW, I am using, and have always used, version 4.4.

Jim

• 7. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                      dj_paige Level 9

³There is nothing to import from the catalog you have selected.  All of the catalog's photos are up to date in the current catalog.²

Then your photos are not missing, they are in your catalog, if you did things properly.

Search for one of the allegedly missing photos by file name. First, click on All PHotographs, then turn off filters (Ctrl-L or Cmd-L once or twice) and then perform the filter bar search to find the photos.

• 8. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                        jimg44314 Level 1

Yes, that’s what it sounded like but these folders and images did not appear

to be included in the Folders list of the Library Module.  However, in

looking at the Folders List more carefully, I find the missing folders and

images in a new collapsed folder for 2015 "Users/Jim/Desktop/Lightroom

Catalog/2015.”  No doubt this reflects the fact that I exported the backup

catalog to Desktop and imported it from there.  I have imported images from

memory cards and all over my hard drive and they land in “Users/Jim/Photo

Library/Photos Go Here/2015.

Is the final step simply to drag the folders from Desktop to Photos Go Here

using the Folders list in the Library Module?  Since these folders and

images are already present in Photos Go Here, do I need to delete the

existing folders Photos Go Here before dragging those from Desktop or will

the existing folders and files be overwritten?

• 9. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                          dj_paige Level 9

Since I am not sitting at your computer, I cannot answer these questions directly.

I believe you can drag the photos (not the folders) to the desired new folder.

• 10. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                            jimg44314 Level 1

Dragging the photos did not work.  Right clicking on a subfolder in the

Desktop catalog and selecting ³Update Folder Location and then choosing same

folder in ³Photos Go Here² did the trick.  If I had exported the backup

catalog to the location of the main catalog would I have avoided this

problem?

While I much appreciate your help, I have trouble declaring a problem solved

until I know its cause.  I am fairly meticulous in the way I use Lightroom

(not managing any image or folder outside of Lightroom) and am puzzled by

this problem.  Any thoughts on the cause of this problem?

Do you have the time to address my problem with files that can not be found?

Jim

• 11. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                              dj_paige Level 9

If I had exported the backup catalog to the location of the main catalog would I have avoided this problem?

I don't know.

Do you have the time to address my problem with files that can not be found?

Sure, but you might want to read this article first, it covers the issue of missing file in detail, with pictures

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 12. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                jimg44314 Level 1

Thanks dj,

I went through the article re missing files and, honestly, it was not very

helpful.  Here is a description of my process and situation.

I import almost all images from memory cards.  Occasionally, I import from

my hard drive if the images were catalogued by another application before I

started using Lightroom.  Most of the time I am importing images of plants.

I make many exposures to account for wind, exposure settings, natural

lighting, etc.  They are imported into subfolders untitled but indicating

the month and day of the capture date and a sequence.

After importing these images, I rename the subfolder adding a description

that locates the shoot.  Next, I delete (from the hard disk) about half of

the images keeping only the best.  Next, I rename the images giving them a

custom name.  Their date is unchanged but the sequence is modified to

account for the images that were deleted.

Following that from the Library or Map Module I add the name of the plant

(if I know it) in the caption and from the Map Module I will add and

location information based on GPS coordinates.

Lastly, I add keywords for the scientific name of the plant, the general

location of the plant, and the color of the blossom (or foliage if not

blooming).

I rarely move or copy images and I don¹t not use any other application to

view or modify images.

Right now, I have 7 subfolders containing a total of 47 images that are

marked with the question mark logo indicating a missing file.  At the same

time, in the Catalog Panel Missing Photographs total 1,053.  Thats more than

1/3 of the total images in the catalog.  If I select the missing photographs

in Catalog Panel 1,053 images are displayed each showing the question mark

logo.

I addition to this I am getting messages that metadata is not in agreement.

I will find an example of that in the morning and give you the exact

message.

Jim

• 13. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Right now, I have 7 subfolders containing a total of 47 images that are

marked with the question mark logo indicating a missing file.  At the same

time, in the Catalog Panel Missing Photographs total 1,053.  Thats more than

1/3 of the total images in the catalog.  If I select the missing photographs

in Catalog Panel 1,053 images are displayed each showing the question mark

logo.

This is exactly the situation that is solved by the method in the article I supplied.

I addition to this I am getting messages that metadata is not in agreement. I will find an example of that in the morning and give you the exact message.

You have to choose whether you want to use the metadata in Lightroom or the metadata in the photo file (or sidecar .xmp file). 

• 14. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                    jimg44314 Level 1

OK.  Bear with me.

To start, I removed 2 subfolders showing the ³?² badge, because the photos

were unimportant, leaving 5 subfolders showing the ³?² badge.  Since I have

missing photos in multiple folders I started with the instructions just

above Fig. 3. 

1.  In the Folders Panel, I highlighted the top level folder "Photos Go

Here."  This folders contains all of my images and nothing else.  Catalogs

are in another folder.)

2.  To open the Folder "context² menu, I right clicked, separately, on each

of the 5 subfolders showing the ³?" badge and chose "Find Missing Folder."

Using the Finder window, I navigated to each missing folder, selected these

folders, and clicked the "Choose button.²

Returning to Folders Panel, the ³?² badge had been removed from each of the

5 subfolders indicating that Lightroom had reconnected to the five folders.

However, ³?² badges attached to the individual photos within the 5 folders

were not removed indicating that the folder had not reconnected to

Lightroom.  In the Catalog Panel, the number of "Missing Photographs² was

reduced from 1053 to 1048, perhaps indicating that one missing photo in each

subfolder had been found.

The article, above Figure 7, states "Once the missing folder has been

reconnected the ? badge will be removed from the photos.²  This is not

happening with my system.

Looking at Figures 3, 5 and 7 in the Article, I find it strange that the

subfolder ³Zion, etc." is ranked below the folder ³TIF Edited Photos² in

Figures 3 and 5 but is ranked equal to the folder "Photo Library" in Figure

Jim

• 15. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                      dj_paige Level 9

Have the photos been renamed at any point?

When you used Find Missing Folder on one of these example folders with a ? icon, are you sure you selected the right folder THAT INCLUDES THE PHOTOS?

If you are sure, then we need to see a screen capture of your Lightroom Folders Panel, and also a screen capture of the folder that includes the photos (so we can see the full folder path and existence of the photos) as seen in your operating system.

• 16. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                        jimg44314 Level 1

Yes, I often rename photos, as I delete as many as 1/4 of all my images.  I

realize that naming is not really necessary but I do try to keep it clean

and simple.

During import of images, names assigned to the images are typically

³untitledYYMMDD-xxx.jpg" and the images are placed in subfolders

"YYYY/MM-DD."  I think this is generated by Lightroom based on presets and

image metadata.   When the import has finished, I typically rename the

subfolder by adding a short location description (right click/renameŠ).

After development, I delete unwanted/unneeded images (Photo/Delete PhotoŠ)

and then I rename the remaining images (Library/Rename PhotoŠ) using Custom

Name Date Sequence File Naming.  The Custom Name is usually the same

name added to the subfolder.  I sometime delete photos later, if I find

additional images that are not needed and I rename the remaining ones again.

I think that I am selecting the correct folder by carefully positioning the

curser as I right click.  I think this in confirmed by the removal of the ?

Badge from that folder.

I will post a screen shot of my Folders Panel with a folder selected and

image in grid mode.  This folder previously had a ? Badge that I corrected

earlier today.  You will notice that most of the images still carry the ?

Badge.  The only path that I could partially display was for the top level

folder.

Jim

• 17. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                          jimg44314 Level 1

Here is the screen shot.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 2.00.49 PM.png

• 18. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                            robgendreau Level 3

jimg44314 wrote:

Looking at Figures 3, 5 and 7 in the Article, I find it strange that the

subfolder ³Zion, etc." is ranked below the folder ³TIF Edited Photos² in

Figures 3 and 5 but is ranked equal to the folder "Photo Library" in Figure

The answer is simple: if you follow the sequence Lr initially had the folder in the wrong place, within "DNG edited...", and hence couldn't find it.

We go out to the Finder, and lo, it is actually above that, under "Photo Library." We tell Lr that, and then, in Fig. 7, Lr shows the correct location, under "Photo Library."

If this isn't what is happening with your attempts to re-find folders, then you're doing something wrong.

In your screen shot, what is in the Finder folder ~/Photos Go Here.../2013/07-17 Regional Park Botanic Garden? could you have moved them with something besides Lr? Also, if you moved them when the folder was showing a ? sometimes things get really jumbled up. What happens when you search in the Finder for one of the missing photos in the Botanic Garden folder?

• 19. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                              dj_paige Level 9

I also want to see the file names in Lightroom. Could you re-do the screen capture to show file names?

I also need to see the equivalent screen capture of the exact same folder,  as seen by your operating system, so we can see the file names in the folder that correspond to the photos seen in the Lightroom screen capture.

• 20. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                jimg44314 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Rob,

Well, you probably know a lot more about this than I, but it appears to me

that the ³Zion ³ folder was originally placed in the TIF Edited Photos

folder (Figures 1 and 2) and ended up under Mac Pro HD4 (Figure 7).

Another odd thing is that both the instructions and Figure 4 indicate that

the top level folder should be selected and that the folder with the ? patch

(Zion) should receive a right click only while the top level folder remains

selected.  Figure 5 contradicts that.  I found that the Find Missing Folder

option was not available if the subfolder was selected or if the subfolder

did not show the ? patch.  I don¹t have any folders with the ? patch at this

time so I can¹t replicate my experience.

My problem is not with a misplaced folder it is with missing photos.  The

article claimed that by reconnecting Lightroom to a folder with the ? patch

one could remove the ? patch from all missing photos in that folder.  In

other words, the photos would be found.  Directly above Figure 7, the

Article states "Once the missing folder has been reconnected the ? badge

will be removed from the photos.²  This did not work for me.

In the screen shot, the Photos Go Here folder is my top level folder for

photos.  It is under the Photo Library folder which in turn is under my Home

Folder.  The Photo Library folder also holds the Lightroom Catalogs folder

where my catalogs reside.  I really only have one catalog.  Under Photos Go

Here I have a subfolder for each year and under each year I have a subfolder

for the date of each shoot (MM-DD).  Regional Park Botanic Garden was a

modification of the MM-DD folder to give me an idea of the shoot location.

There are several ways to locate photos and shoots short of using a

complicated folder structure but i keep this as insurance in there event

that keywords goes crazy.

I don¹t use any applications other than Lightroom to manage my photos.

Generally, I move photos by dragging them one at a time or in a group within

the Folders Panel.  And i don¹t do that very often.  I thought that this was

a safe procedure but now that 1/3 of my photographs are missing (according

to the Catalog Pane) I may have been wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

• 21. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                  robgendreau Level 3

Jim, you need to distinguish between where the folder is in Lr and where it is in the Finder.

In Fig 1 in Lr the folder Zion is in volume Mac Pro HD3, folder Photo Library, subfolder DNG Edited Photos according to Lr, and that's what the popup box says too. That's where Lr THOUGHT it was. But it was NOT there, hence Lr can't find it.

Why is it not there? because it got moved, probably in the Finder, to Volume Mac Pro HD3/Photo Library/Zion. See Fig 6; that's where it IS. The Finder always trumps Lr. It essentially went up a level. There is nothing there, in any figure, to indicate that in either Lr or the Finder it was ever on a different volume.

Step 1 says to click on the folder; it doesn't say anything about the parent folder. (Ignore Fig 4; he's just citing a different example, where Photo Library got lost; that's a DIFFERENT case than Zion.)

The article is perfectly correct in every way, and internally consistent. That's how it works.

And you have only partially solved your problem. Finding the FOLDER only connects the PHOTOS within if, and only if, they are within that folder. You have to think in paths; Lr will find everything at the end of a path (Macintosh HD/User/Me/Pictures/2016/New Year's Day if in fact New Year's Day has the lost photos in it. Hence why I asked about what you see in the FINDER.

Where your catalog resides doesn't matter at all.

We can't help you any further just talking in general; if you want to find those photos the best way is to search in the FINDER them at this point. Using Lr only gets you so far. There are numerous ways it could still be fouled up, but without info about what's going on in Finder (like fig 6) it's really difficult to help.

• 22. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                    jimg44314 Level 1

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 9.30.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 9.32.53 AM.png

Hi dj,

I have attached the screenshots that you requested, I think.  I could find no way to show the file names in the Folder Panel but the Metadata Panel shows the file name for the photo selected.  The second screenshot is of a Finder window.

Jim

• 23. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                      robgendreau Level 3

That helps.

Try connecting a file with a file instead of the folder, which isn't working. If you click one of the ?s in the grid view cell it should present a box that will have the path that Lr previously used for the photo; one of the figures in the linked article showed this. That can give a clue to whether they expected those in another folder or had different names, etc.

I note that the one jpg it did find has an indication that Lr detected some other application changed its metadata, and notice the "changed  on disk" listing in the metadata panel under metadata status? And note that Lr has a different original filename. If these got renamed elsewhere Lr wouldn't know that until you reconnect them.

You didn't by chance use a different Lr catalog to access these same photos? or rename them?

I'd try reconnecting one, and then seeing if Lr recognizes it, and whether it gives you that same status warning.

• 24. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                        dj_paige Level 9

I still don't see the file names in your first screen capture. However, the question mark icons indicate that the files cannot be found. The first thought I have is that the files are named differently in Lightroom and in your Mac Finder. Can you  re-do the first screen capture so I can see the file name in Lightroom?

Now, since I'm not a MAC expert, let me ask the following question: Your MAC Finder screen capture shows the folder: \Photo Library\Photos Go Here\2013\07-17 Regional Parks Botanic Garden

while Lightroom seems to be showing the folder: \Macintosh HD\Photos Go Here\2013\07-17 Regional Parks Botanic Garden. Are these the same folder? Yes or No?

• 25. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                          robgendreau Level 3

The Macintosh HD is the volume, not a folder.

The Finder shot is showing part of the path, Photo Library/Photos Go Here/2013/07-17 Regional Parks Botanic Garden. In the sidebar in the Finder it shows Photo Library as a favorite; we can't see its parent folder.

But on closer inspection they differ; under the volume name in Lr the name is "Photos Go Here-Users/Jim/Photo Library/P..." Frankly, I'm not sure what that is. Note that in Lr the subfolders for years 2006, 2007 and 2008 are missing. Perhaps never imported though.

So I'm not sure the Finder folder Photos Go Here is the same as the one showing in his Lr catalog. I don't think it is, but that's strange to have the path in the folder name like that.

• 26. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                            jimg44314 Level 1

In reply to your question, yes they are in the same folder. 

I have attached a new screen shots that display all parent folders in the Lightroom Folders Panel and Lightroom file names for each photo in the grid.  It took me a while to figure out how to display these file names. I also have a new screen shot of the Finder window showing the full path.   Comparing the two screenshots it appears that the file structures are identical.

It is also apparent that the file names are different in that the Lightroom file names have no hyphens between the custom names, the dates and the sequence numbers while in Finder the file names have these hyphens.  I believe that I may have renamed the photos in some folders more than once.  For this folder, the photos were originally (during import) named "untitledyymmdd-xxx.jpg."  I may have initially renamed them "Anza Borrego-yymmdd-xxx.jpg" and later changed that to "Anza Borrego yymmdd xxx.jpg."  I always use Lightroom to rename photos and believed that Lightroom would accordingly rename the files on the disk.  Perhaps Lightroom is not making a distinction between hyphens and spaces when rewriting the file names on disk.  Perhaps Lightroom limitas the number of name changes that can be made.  Unfortunately, Lightroom can not rename a photo that is missing so it is necessary to find the missing poto first.  That will be a very tedious and time consuming process for more than 1,000 photos.  By the way, I did find the 30 missing photos in the Regional Parks Botanic Garden and the ? badges disappeared, however, the number of missing photos in the Catalog Pane did not change.  Still showing 1048.

My other problem is with the warning message "The metadata for this photo has been changed by another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?" 

First of all, I do not use any application to manage photos other than Lightroom.  I add a little metadata after importing to most photos via the caption field and the location information under the "Image" group.  Very rarely, I correct GPS locations by dragging photos around in the Map Module.  Camera GPS devices are not particularly accurate and sometimes I see a photo that is way out of place.  I had the impression that Lightroom did not modify original images.  If that is true why is the default choice for this message "Overwrite Disk Settings."

Thanks for your continuing help.

Jim

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 12.16.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.52.11 AM.png

• 27. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                              jimg44314 Level 1

Rob,

Have a look at my newer screenshots.  The file structure is now complete and consistent. I think.  The subfolders for 2006, 2007 and 2008 are not missing.  I contracted the year folders for clarity.

Jim

• 28. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                dj_paige Level 9

In this screen capture of Lightroom, there are no question marks on the photos like there were in the screen capture of the folder 07-17 Regional Parks Botanic Garden. You shouldn't have any problems using these photos in Lightroom.

Can you show us the equivalent screen captures for the folder 07-17 Regional Parks Botanic Garden?

• 29. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                  jimg44314 Level 1

The current screenshot of Regional Parks Botanic Garden is attached.  I manually found, selected and confirmed each photo in this folder eliminating all 30 of the ? patches.  All of those photos then showed a patch indicating a conflict with metadata.  To resolve this I selected all photo in the folder and then select the option to "overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog."  I still don't know the consequence of this action but the patch was removed from each photo.  All seems well with the photos in this folder.

I am anxious to know what you think of my guess as to the cause for the missing photos.Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.41.32 PM.png

• 30. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                    robgendreau Level 3

Something changed the metadata in those files.

Have you ever used another Lr catalog to access these photos?

Also, at some point you added photos from your root folder. Hence the oddness of the Photos to Go folder name, if that was indeed a named. Normally Photo Library should be just beneath Macintosh HD in the Folders pane; here's how to fix that problem: Volumes and drives display as folders in Lightoom

Whether that could have led to losing photos, I'm not sure. I do know that some people have had problems, usually because volume show up more than once (long story, but in the root directory there's a folder called "volumes" that's hidden under normal circumstances with the mount points for volumes inside, which could lead to Lr listing it twice and getting itself confused).

• 31. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                      jimg44314 Level 1

Thanks Rob,

robgendreau wrote:

Something changed the metadata in those files.  I suppose, but the only indication of that is the warning message itself.  It would be helpful in identifying the source of the problem if we knew what particular metadata was changed.  I don't understand how the metadata added via Lightroom is handled.

Have you ever used another Lr catalog to access these photos?  No, although some photos in this catalog were previously in another catalog.  Those photos are now located in 20 subfolders under the  2012 folder.  They were imported from the other catalog.  It is my goal to have all my photos in a single catalog.

Also, at some point you added photos from your root folder. Hence the oddness of the Photos to Go folder name, if that was indeed a named. Normally Photo Library should be just beneath Macintosh HD in the Folders pane; here's how to fix that problem: Volumes and drives display as folders in LightoomI don't recall adding any photos from the Root Folder.  The filename, Photos Go Here, was suggested by Laura Shoe in one of her videos.  She also suggested a separate folder for the catalog(s) and I took her advice.  The Temp Photos folder is where I hold exported photos before uploading the other websites like alPhoto.

Whether that could have led to losing photos, I'm not sure. I do know that some people have had problems, usually because volume show up more than once (long story, but in the root directory there's a folder called "volumes" that's hidden under normal circumstances with the mount points for volumes inside, which could lead to Lr listing it twice and getting itself confused).

Jim

• 32. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                        dj_paige Level 9

These photos do not show the "missing" indicator, therefore they are not missing

• 33. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                          jimg44314 Level 1

Yes, I agree that the photos is this particular folder are no longer missing.  Each of them were restored by my finding, selecting, and confirming them individually.  I'm glad to have them back but we do not have answers to several important questions as follows:

1. It appears that the photos went missing, as you suspected, because the file names in Lightroom were not the same as the file names in my computer system, the difference being that hyphens were replaced by white spaces.  Initially, I thought that OSX might not allow white spaces in file names but that is not the case and many of my photo file names contain white spaces and those files are not missing.  Since I have always renamed photos within Lightroom, why are the system file names different than those in Lightroom?  If Lightroom is not renaming system files then how do I rename files?
                                                                          2. After finding and restoring the 30 photos in the Tilden Botanical Garden folder, the Missing Photographs in the Catalog Pane still total 1048.  I opened that catalog(?) and found that the 30 photos are still included in the catalog although the photos in the Tilden Botanical Garden folder do not show the ? badge.  See attached screen shot.  Is there a process to refresh the Missing Photographs catalog to show the missing photographs correctly?
                                                                          3. With all the attention given to the missing photos, we have not returned to my original problem, the unexplained disappearance of 15 subfolders from the 2015 subfolder.  Yesterday, I noticed that at the same time (based on a review of catalog backups) subfolders for 2006, 2007 and 2008 (containing about 800 photos) also disappeared. I regret that I did not notice this earlier. These subfolders, lower level subfolders, and photos still remain in my computer system under Photos Go Here.  Although your suggestions to restore the 2015 subfolder worked well, I would like to understand what caused this problem so that I can avoid a recurrence and restore my confidence in Lightroom.  Can we turn our attention back to this at some time?

I know that you may be able to answer all of these questions and I do appreciate all of the help that you have provided.  Is it possible that all of this is due to bugs in Version 4 and would you recommend that I update to a more current version?

Jim

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 10.14.02 AM.png

• 34. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                            dj_paige Level 9
                                                                            1. At the moment you do the rename in Lightroom, the file is also renamed in your operating system, so they will have the same file name. Thereafter, actions taken in the operating system could cause the names to differ.
                                                                            2. This collection is static. At the moment it is created, it shows the "missing" files, and the count. After you reconnect some of the file, the collection is static, so it still shows the same number of files, including the ones that you have just reconnected.
                                                                            3. I have only guesses, not facts, about this. Perhaps these folders were accidentally moved or deleted. We have all clicked on the wrong thing and wound up performing an action we didn't want to perform.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                              jimg44314 Level 1

dj_paige wrote:

1. At the moment you do the rename in Lightroom, the file is also renamed in your operating system, so they will have the same file name. Thereafter, actions taken in the operating system could cause the names to differ.  I don't take actions in the operating system to move, copy, or rename files or folders or anything else for that matter.  It is all done in Lightroom.  Maybe I am not reading you correctly.  Are you saying that renaming files in Lightroom can only be done once?  Could you clarify?
                                                                              2. This collection is static. At the moment it is created, it shows the "missing" files, and the count. After you reconnect some of the file, the collection is static, so it still shows the same number of files, including the ones that you have just reconnected. Is there a way to refresh the collection?  In a conversation you had with another user, you suggested removing a file from a static (regular) collection.  I am unable to find a command in the Menu Bar to do this.
                                                                              3. I have only guesses, not facts, about this. Perhaps these folders were accidentally moved or deleted. We have all clicked on the wrong thing and wound up performing an action we didn't want to perform.  I certainly have made blunders but deleting a photo unintentionally in Lightroom is not one of them due to the need to confirm that action.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                                robgendreau Level 3

It would be very helpful if you submitted a picture of your complete folder tree in the Finder.

And from Lr.

I'd still fix the problem I'd outlined above. Somehow you seem to have added photos from the root level of your Macintosh HD, and that causes me to fear you have done other things to duplicate folders, catalogs, or files.

1. Somehow you changed the filenames. Did you accidentally run a pre-set? another utlity? You never answered my question about those other Lr catalogs you may have and whether they had ever been open and or accessed these files. Files can be renamed ad infinitum. When Lr renames it, it changes in BOTH Lr AND in the FINDER. When the Finder renames it, it changes ONLY in the FINDER.

2. Static collections are regular collections; dynamic collections are smart collections, in that they change depending on matching a set of criteria. To "refresh" the collection of missing photos simply run the command again from the Library menu.

3. There are tons of ways to end up where you did. You said you always renamed them in Lr and that should have been reflected in the filenames in the Finder. But that would NOT have happened if, for instance, you renamed them at the time that Lr had lost the folder. Since it couldn't find the files it couldn't rename them EXCEPT within Lr. But it normally throws a fit when you try to do that and refuses the name change. Maybe you renamed them from a different Lr catalog. You can check file metadata dates and so on and maybe get a handle on when it happened, but operator error is the usual source of something like this occuring. I'm always forgetting I have more stuff selected than I do and apply changes to batches I didn't intend. Happens.

• 37. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                                  jimg44314 Level 1

Rob,

I appreciate your persistence in helping me solve this problem.  MY replies to the questions your last post are in a bold font below.

robgendreau wrote:

It would be very helpful if you submitted a picture of your complete folder tree in the Finder.  See screenshot #1 attached below.

And from Lr.  I thought that I had done this already.  See screenshot #2 attached below.  Screenshots #1 and #2 extend to a folder and photo that has an original name that is unchanged.

I'd still fix the problem I'd outlined above. Somehow you seem to have added photos from the root level of your Macintosh HD, and that causes me to fear you have done other things to duplicate folders, catalogs, or files. I have reviewed the article attached to your last post.  I do not understand the problem that the article addresses.  I have imported photos into Lightroom in two different ways.  Usually, I am importing from a camera memory card.  The setup for that is shown at screenshot #3.  Occasionally, I import photos from my hard drive that were originally imported to an another photo management, iView Media Pro.  This setup is shown ain screenshot #4.  I have not used Media Pro since I started using Lightroom.  These are the only ways that i have imported into photos into Lightroom.  I have never encountered the root level of my Macintosh HD.

1. Somehow you changed the filenames. Did you accidentally run a pre-set?  I have one preset related to development that is applied during an import.  That is all.  another utlity? I have not used other utilities.  You never answered my question about those other Lr catalogs you may have and whether they had ever been open and or accessed these files. I have three catalogs "plants & animals", "people and places" and "trips"  See screenshot #5.  "Plants and animals" is my primary catalog and the one the I am having problems with.  "People and Places" and "Trips" were created long ago and I have never used either of them to access the photos in "Plants and Animals".  There would be no reason to do that. I have imported photos to "Plants and Animals" that were previously imported to "Trips."  I am doing this so that I can have all of my photos in "Plants and Animals."  Files can be renamed ad infinitum. When Lr renames it, it changes in BOTH Lr AND in the FINDER. When the Finder renames it, it changes ONLY in the FINDER.

2. Static collections are regular collections; dynamic collections are smart collections, in that they change depending on matching a set of criteria. To "refresh" the collection of missing photos simply run the command again from the Library menu.  Run what command?

3. There are tons of ways to end up where you did. I am beginning to realize that.  You said you always renamed them in Lr and that should have been reflected in the filenames in the Finder. But that would NOT have happened if, for instance, you renamed them at the time that Lr had lost the folder. I realize that now but can't say whether that occurred or not.  Since it couldn't find the files it couldn't rename them EXCEPT within Lr. But it normally throws a fit when you try to do that and refuses the name change. Maybe you renamed them from a different Lr catalog. I dont think so.  You can check file metadata dates and so on and maybe get a handle on when it happened, I know when it happened, 12/13/2015, based on my catalog backups.  but operator error is the usual source of something like this occuring. I'm always forgetting I have more stuff selected than I do and apply changes to batches I didn't intend. Happens.

Screenshot #1

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 6.00.47 PM.png

Screenshot #2

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 6.05.58 PM.png

Screenshot #3

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.12.29 PM.png

Screenshot #4

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.31.32 PM.png

Screenshot #5

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.41.54 PM.png

• 38. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                                    dj_paige Level 9
                                                                                    1. No, I cannot clarify. I stated the way Lightroom is supposed to work, and as far as I know, this is how Lightroom does work.
                                                                                    2. Create the collection again.
                                                                                    3. Since I was not sitting at your computer watching whatever happened as it was happening, I choose not to speculate further on what happened. However, your response ignores my speculation that somehow you accidentally moved the folders to somewhere else, and it would be helpful if you searched Lightroom for a photo in one of the missing folders.      
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Folders Missing from Catalog
                                                                                      robgendreau Level 3

You should NOT have "/" in your folder list in Lr. It can cause problems. Review the article more carefully. Nor should you have "Library" "System" or any of those other folders. No. Not good. It's not just a matter of personal prefs, it can cause some problems with duplicate locations, esp. with other volumes. I'll restrain myself about the nature of that folder organization; I can see how someone might misplace photos in that, but presumably it makes sense to you. Or not. Furthermore, you do have other Lr catalogs, so it is not unlikely you changed names in one, but not the other, which could easily have resulted in the symptoms you have. Have you checked???

You HAVE "encountered" the root level of Macintosh HD. That's what "/" is. You moved, added, or copied from there. This, like other errors, may have been something you did inadvertently. It's unlikely elves came in the night and did stuff to your computer; more likely you made a mistake. My car keys were, I was sure, in my coat. But they weren't. I never leave them in the car. But I did. This is all most likely the result of operator error; sorry.

Command = Library>Find All Missing Photos. You ran that to find that collection. Run it again to refresh it. (Elves again? )

I'd suggest you duck out of Lr and try to diagnose your mistake in other ways. A right click on a missing file reveals it's former name and path; note it, search for it in Spotlight and try to see how it got there. Look in the other catalog to see if you accessed the same files. Look in backups of catalogs to see what you may have changed. Look in your Time Machine backups (or whatever you use) around the date things went missing and see where things were, and/or search for the renamed files there.

And focus on the future. Using folders and filenames to organize stuff is horrible IMHO, and leads to just this sort of mess. If your photos where never renamed or moved after intial copying from SD card, and just put in date based folders, and then left there, this would be so much easier to fix. You have tons of redundant information that is in fact confusing (adding a filename or putting in a folder is adding info to an image); thus "Pictures," "Photos Go Here," "Photo Library," "Temp Photos," "My Pictures" and probably more. I'd submit those could be just "Pictures." Same with most of the other folder names. And the folder names repeat info in the file names, like "Anza Borrego." All that info is more easily managed in photo metadata, which has spots for dates, descriptions, keywords (especially useful for anyone into plants or animals), locations, etc etc. Ditto for people. Then the info is written into the file's internal data, so it's easy to find with Lr, Spotlight, etc even if the filename or path gets corrupted to 89w4nnoaj/aidj830464.jpg. I take pictures in the same places you do, but all my regiional parks are under an EBRPD keywords, plants with hierarchies like tree>redwood>coastal, and so on. It's much easier to use and more robust in the event of problems.

1 2 Previous Next