9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 1:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD

Chris@Badgers Level 1

I usually have no problems burning to DVD on my iMac ( El Capitan). But making a new new video won't work. I have used the workaround recommended by Steve G. This works fine, even using PE to burn the folder in a new project. But this doesn't seem to burn the menu screen, I just get the Timeline. So I add this to the new video, simple standard menu template with my own resized background, which is also used elsewhere in the video. It then breaks. It encodes OK but fails to put anything on disc, failing at same place at 4% of Burn, with same internal software error, whether its the original version of the video or the folder. So it looks like it doesn't like the menu. Chris

• 1. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

What are you using now - Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Mac (El Capitan) or something else?

When you are doing a project to which you have applied a movie menu, do your get through the phase of Encoding Menus without error? Is the only error, later

afterward when you get to Burning Disc in the sequence

Encoding Menus

Encoding Media

Compiling Media

Burning Disc?

How many menu markers, how many menu pages? Do you have a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline? What is the exact wording of the internal software error that you are getting?

Have you gone through

a. Checking the placement and spacing for Timeline markers?

b. Looking for overlapping buttons in the movie maker customization area?

When you are in the burn dialog, what are the readings for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
            Chris@Badgers Level 1

HI ATR

See embedded responses below, and more...

When you are doing a project to which you have applied a movie menu, do your get through the phase of Encoding Menus without error? Is the only error, later

afterward when you get to Burning Disc in the sequence

Encoding Menus............OK

Encoding Media.............OK

Compiling Media............OK

Burning Disc?.................Fails at 4%, starts up DVD player, tries nothing and rejects DVD

How many menu markers, how many menu pages?.......One Main menu Marker, One stop marker

Do you have a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline? ...yes

What is the exact wording of the internal software error that you are getting?.....

Internal software err:/premiere/elements/molecules/pre-mediacore/External/AuthorScrpit/Source/???      cannot see rest, it won't scroll

Have you gone through

a. Checking the placement and spacing for Timeline markers?.....Have move start and end markers in slightly from beginning/end of timeline

b. Looking for overlapping buttons in the movie maker customization area?.......no

When you are in the burn dialog, what are the readings for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space?......Space 994MB, Bitrate 8.00MPs

I have done further test.

Test 1...New media dvd..........still failed

Test 2  Different template, music and background pic.....still failed

Test 3    Removed all menu , and said I wanted to burn with no menu.....All ok

So still a mystery. Will continue to investigate.

Chris

PS Should the menu be saved when I save to folder. It isn't , so this route is not assumable workaround.

Chris

• 3. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
              Chris@Badgers Level 1

HI ATR See embedded responses below, and more... When you are doing a project to which you have applied a movie menu, do your get through the phase of Encoding Menus without error? Is the only error, later afterward when you get to Burning Disc in the sequence Encoding Menus............OK Encoding Media.............OK Compiling Media............OK Burning Disc?.................Fails at 4%, starts up DVD player, tries nothing and rejects DVD How many menu markers, how many menu pages?.......One Main menu Marker, One stop marker Do you have a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline? ...yes What is the exact wording of the internal software error that you are getting?..... Internal software err:/premiere/elements/molecules/pre-mediacore/External/AuthorScrpit/Source/???      cannot see rest, it won't scroll Have you gone through a. Checking the placement and spacing for Timeline markers?.....Have move start and end markers in slightly from beginning/end of timeline b. Looking for overlapping buttons in the movie maker customization area?.......no When you are in the burn dialog, what are the readings for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space?......Space 994MB, Bitrate 8.00MPs I have done further test. Test 1...New media dvd..........still failed Test 2  Different template, music and background pic.....still failed Test 3    Removed all menu , and said I wanted to burn with no menu.....All ok So still a mystery. Will continue to investigate. Chris PS Should the menu be saved when I save to folder. It isn't , so this route is not assumable workaround. Chris

• 4. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the replies.

I see one flag waving at us in the details. Classically the stop marker at the end of the last Timeline file (or very near the end of the last Timeline file) causes burn to failures. It is not need there. If you have not already, please remove it and let us know the outcome. Adobe claims to have eliminated that long standing problem in Premiere Elements 14.1.

If you have a project to which you have applied a disc menu and you burn to disc or folder, the disc menu should be there.

For DVD-VIDEO, look in the VIDEO_TS Folder and find the file named VTS_01_0.VOB. That should relate to the disc menus. The DVD video file itself typically starts with VTS_01_1.VOB.

Are you getting error message related to "Royalty Activation" and the ara folder?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris,

Add On to post 4....

Please confirm if you are using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Mac (El Capitan) or something else.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
                    Chris@Badgers Level 1

Hi ATR That's quick. Sorry about the mess in reply. Finger trouble. 1  Will try without the stop marker. thought I usually did use stop marker and it has worked, but will certainly try 2  Re burning to folder, I now do not actually get folder option, it says to computer and I chose AVCHD 3  I remembered that this is the first video under El Capitan! Will get back to you soon with next test results. Thanks again for help Chris

• 7. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

We will be watching for your results as your time permits.

But, what version of Premiere Elements on your Mac El Capitan?

When you wrote

Re burning to folder, I now do not actually get folder option, it says to computer and I chose AVCHD 3

That sounds like you are at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD, a route for export to file saved to the computer hard drive.

If that is the case, the export to file ways do not allow you to use a movie menu to navigate the export file.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
                        Chris@Badgers Level 1

Wow so much good stuff. 1    Removed STOP marker....It worked. Excellent Thanks. 2    How did it work before.... By accident, on most recent video the stop marker was just beyond the media , in the final version, so I assume it would not have been seen. 3  So if I have scenes , I use stop markers at the end of scenes? or just use Scene markers. I usually have scenes. 4  Yes I am using 10.1 and El Capitan, but now we know that is OK 5  Yes I was going via.. Publish and Share/computer/ AVCHD  Whats the correct way in this version to save to file..from File menu? Thanks again for excellent work. Chris. PS ..again! Why don't I get email alert form forum that I have a reply. I used to?

• 9. Re: Why does adding a menu to movie stop me burning to DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Major great news. Thanks for the follow up. Well done.

If you are doing Publish + Share/Computer/AVCHD, stop markers serve no purpose and offer the potential for problems. Movie menus are not offered in export to file. And, Timeline markers in the export to file will not act for navigation of the file without menu..

If you are doing Publish + Share/Disc/DVD or AVCHD or Blu-ray....remember stop markers do not function in the playback of AVCHD on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc choice (never have). The stop markers do function in playback of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus. In any case, do not place a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline. Otherwise burn to failures are to be expected.

As for email alerts, please check your Adobe Forum profile preferences. Look to the top right of the forum page. The place where you see your logo Sign In. Click on that tiny triangle there to get a drop down list which includes Preferences. Click on Preferences where you will set your email notification choices.

Please consider and let us know if that worked for you.

Best wishes. Sounding good.

ATR.