11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 4:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Still photos in Elements 13 video edit

rj52847757

Hi,

I imported a number of still photos into my new video project in Premiere Elements 13. I did not reduce the resolution before I imported, so a number of the photo files are large (around 6 MB).

Is there a simple or easy way to "dow-rez" these still photos after the fact within the project edit?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest way is to use the batch photo resizer in Photoshop Elements.

You'll find it listed as Process Multiple Files under the Photoshop Elements File menu.

• 2. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rj

From what I have read of what you wrote, you are not asking about resizing photos for import into Premiere Elements project. Rather, you are asking about downsizing the photos after they have been imported into the project. The logistics of that need to be examined.

When you import files into the Premiere Elements project, all you get are copies of the originals which remain saved to their computer hard drive. The project's copies need to trace back to the exact originals where they were when they were first imported into the project.

I need to do a mini test run to show that, if I change the file size of the originals on the hard drive, it will be reflected in the photos copies in the project.

If you do not want to get involved in clean up from media disconnects these details need to be looked at closer in mini test run.

How many photos are involved in this pixel dimensions reduction matter?

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
              rj52847757 Level 1

Hi A.T.R. - there are 22 photos in the video. Not all of them are high resolution, though.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rj52847757 wrote:

Hi,

I imported a number of still photos into my new video project in Premiere Elements 13. I did not reduce the resolution before I imported, so a number of the photo files are large (around 6 MB).

Is there a simple or easy way to "dow-rez" these still photos after the fact within the project edit?

Thanks.

Best is to do what Steve suggested, down sizing them before import. (Elements actually does not import files but rather makes links to the assets on the hard drive)

Once the stills are loaded into the project and dropped on the timeline they are default set tot Scale to Frame Size which means the stills are set to 100% in relation to the frame size. Which in itself is a kind of down rezzing but it does not reduce file size on your HardDrive.

You can turn off the Scale to Frame Size off in the Preference (prior to import) then the still will keep there original dimension.

• 5. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rj

Thanks for the reply.

Have you marked the thread as answered/correct as indicated by the thread marking of Correct Answer post 1?

I ask since, if not, I can go into further details and expand upon what I wrote.

Depending on your computer resources, you might not see any impact on your project performance with high resolution photos numbering less than 22

(referring to your detail "there are 22 photos in the video. Not all of them are high resolution, though".

Best wishes

ATR

"

• 6. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
                    rj52847757 Level 1

A.T. - I did mark your original post as "correct", as you were correctly referring to my question about re-sizing photos once they have already been imported into a Premiere Elements project.

My sense is that the size of the photos is slowing down the performance of Elements 13 while I am editing, but not enough to disable the function of the program drastically.

I would like to try and re-size the photos in the edit that are above the recommended 2000x1500 pixels recommended for an HD project. I am guessing I could use Photoshop to re-size the photos in my original source files. But I am not sure if that will necessitate re-linking the placeholders in the edit timeline (I am fairly new to the digital editing game so I am not confident about knowing how much hassle re-linking might end up being.) \

Any further advice would be much appreciated. As an aside, I re-saved the project in an updated version, so I can still go back the edit that uses the large still photos in case my "down-res" experiment goes awry.

Thanks again,

Rod.   

• 7. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit

If you have already edited your photo that is alright.

Re-size your originals to a smaller size and put them in a separate folder.

Go into the Project Assets

right click on a still and Replace Footage by same down sized still.

Timeline will be updated.

• 9. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit

Dont know if I am clear on this but Dont overwrite the originals.

After resizing you should have a folder with the originals and a folder with the resized ones.

• 10. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

rj

Thanks for the follow up. This would be my first suggestion for dealing with your oversized photos once they have been imported into your project. This first suggestion assumes that you have Photoshop Elements 13 on the same computer as Premiere Element 13. The way the following is setup and depending on whether or not you have Photoshop Elements 13, you could even use Edit Original instead of Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements to work through this.

1. Wherever the originals are on the hard drive, please go to that location and copy them, and put the copies in a folder created especially for them.

So, now you are free to work with "originals:project source media" where the project knows where they are and still have your "originals" safe in that folder and out of the way.

2. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace, and go to the first photo whose resolution that you want to change. Right click it and select Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements 13 will open to its Editor. In the Editor, go to Image Menu/Resize/Image Size, Image Resize dialog change to your new photo resolution. OK out of there.

2. Go to File Menu/Save As/make sure you have maintained the same file name. Save answering yes to Do you want to replace the file that you brought into Photoshop Elements. 13.

Then File Menu/Exit to close out of there and automatically have Premiere Elements 13 open with your photo resolution changed. Since you have less than 22 photos involved, this should not be too bad as a one by one operation.

Please consider. Lots of variations depend on how widespread these photos are on the hard drive.

Thanks for exploring the above.

ATR

Add On...my reply was delayed, done earlier, but I wanted to road test it first.

Add On 2 hours after post, for correction where I typed 14 instead of 13 in one spot at beginning of this reply.

• 11. Re: Still photos in Elements 13 video edit
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rj

Add On to my post 10...please consider the following on Premiere Elements/Photo Do Not Exceed Suggestions

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: About Recommended Photo "Do Not Exceed" Pixel Dimensions

Thanks.

ATR