Some time ago after a LR update, it stopped detecting a certain lens that it had in the past detected flawlessly.
I am on the latest Lightroom CC, Mac El Capitan (did this on Yosemite also), Nikon D7200, Tamron 16-300mm macro zoom lens. It will detect my Nikkor lenses just fine.
If I enable profile correction and select the make, it will fill in the model and profile automatically from there.
When editing a lot of photos, I was always able to just enable lens correction on all the photos and it would default to whichever lens, even if I changed lenses in the middle of the shoot, which I sometimes do.