3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 8:42 PM by Laubender

Cannot open .idml file in InDesign CS5

Dezignguy81

I have had two different designers and printers save down two different InDesign CC files to an idml so I can open it in my CS5.  Both times I try to open it, and it gets stuck on trying to "open 1 documents" with the progress bar.  Just freezes and doesn't move.  I checked and all my programs are up to date.  I'm guessing that the issue is on my end. I used to open the idml files fine a few months ago.  HELP!

• 1. Re: Cannot open .idml file in InDesign CS5
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Did you update to the latest version of ID CS5?

BTW: I recommend to upgrade to CC too as workflows between several versions is always causing damage and huge problems. Working between CS5 and CC2015 is a step between 5 (CS5.5, CS6, CC, CC2014 and CC2015) full versions which is impossible to perform without problems.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot open .idml file in InDesign CS5
            Dezignguy81 Level 1

Thanks so much Willi.  Unfortunately my company will not upgrade at the moment.  Yes, it is the latest version is ID CS5, checked for updates etc.  *sigh*

Ideally I would love to upgrade and not have any problems, but in the mean time, I don't know what to do, or why they would make it that the basic idml file can no longer be opened on older versions (other than always making everyone go to CC).

• 3. Re: Cannot open .idml file in InDesign CS5
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Dezignguy,

you say: "Just freezes and doesn't move."

How long do you wait until you end the process?

Sometimes it takes a few minutes until an IDML file is reconstructed to an InDesign document.

With complex IDML files this could take its time. Had one, that took 15 to 20 minutes.

Also: How do you get the IDML?
              Maybe it is corrupted through the transmission process?

I would recommend, that your client should zip up the file before handing it over to you.

And the client should open the IDML in the version of InDesign that created the file. Maybe something went wrong by exporting to IDML.

Uwe