My user story looks something like this:
1. User selects 10 words from client email, each word is on a new line
2. User selects pre-designed InDesign document with 10 text frames, each with specific formatting applied
3. User runs "place text" script in InDesign
Dialog box pops up, user pastes 10 words into dialog box
Indesign takes the contents of the clipboard
4. Each word from the original client email is assigned to a separate text frame
5. the imported words inherit the styles applied to the text frames
It sounds so simple, but I haven't been able to find anything which provides this kind of import process. I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction - I've seen some great solutions to other kinds of (more complicated) problems in this forum.
I'm using CC 2015 on a Mac running the latest version of OSX.
Taking stuff one at the time:
1) to get the contents of the clipboard, the easiest way:
create a new text frame, paste into, get the text and remove the frame
2) inserting a word inside a textframe while preserving the formatting. Since you don't specify how you match the textframes with the words i'll just assume an array of textframes and an array of words:
Problems left for you to solve:
Matching the textframes with the words. For this you would need to provide more information.
Let me try those suggestions - really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.