11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 2:39 PM by ECBowen

Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation

jonathanweber Level 1

Hello!

It is not that I am unable to use Google, or ask other people - it is just that I can't find a good solution for this particular question (at least none, where someone else said "but"). The market is constantly changing, and you clearly see this on changing opinions on which card manufacturer is better or worse. It seems like Adobes software support for cards is also constantly changing, and that doesn't make the whole topic easier.

To make a long story short: I am searching for a graphics card between 400 - 1000$ to complete a 4K workstation with the following specs: Intel Core i7 5820K, 4 x 8GB DDR4 Ram as Quad-Channel, 500GB SSD, monitor: 1x4K, 1x1080p. It should work as best as possible with Adobe Products (Premiere Pro, After Effects, SpeedGrade) - be it OpenCL or CUDA. It should not be a bottleneck for the system, also the system should not be a bottleneck for the graphics card. The whole system will be used for pure video editing and effects in a small business.

Can one of you give me a tipp which card could be suited for my needs? I would be really thankful!
      Greetings

• 1. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

for premiere, the gtx 970 would be the generic recommended card to that cpu. it will depend on how much the video card is used in your projects. lumetri color correction and gpu accelerated effects will place more workload on the video card. if you plan on using a lot of those, and/or a plugin like neat video, which is very demanding, the 980 ti would be a better choice.

if you are using speedgrade, it can be demanding on the gpu, so you may want to go with the 980 ti. i don't think it supports multiple video cards, and may never as its being ignored by adobe and may even be dropped as they move its functions into premiere. for speedgrade, its kinda hard to compete against better and free, davinci resolve... .

AE's ray tracing didn't support the 900/maxwell series for a long time, but a recent update note says they have finally updated AE's optix library to allow ray tracing to work with these new cards. i haven't heard or seen any post where its been reported to work, but i don't read the AE forums much either. adobe seems to be favoring C4D in place of ray tracing. AE will be the least demanding on the video card, until they start adding more and more gpu accelerated functions in the future.

if you go with the 980 ti, it's somewhat power hungry, so make sure your power supply has enough watts for it.

• 2. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
            jonathanweber Level 1

Thank you for the in-detail information! I think I will go with the gtx 980 ti. Unfortunately, I found many different "versions" - produced by ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ... Can you tell me the differences between these cards and which one to choose?

• 3. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
              cc_merchant Level 4

For the system outlined above, you are better off with a 970 and using the rest of your savings for additional SSD's. The 980Ti is overkill on this system for PR. For Resolve it is a great card, but not on this budget system for PR.

• 4. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation

asus and gigabyte usually lead stats for reliability for pc parts, so you may want to choose one of those. according to the others here, these new 900 series do not overclock with cuda and adobe apps. so the only thing these overclock edition cards can offer is slightly better quality. there are some cards with two or three fans on them, vs the reference design with one fan. they can be somewhat quieter than the single fan, but they also exhaust air inside the case. the reference design with a single fan exhausts air out of the back of the case. one of the asus cards, the matrix (a silver and orange card), says it handles 5k monitors. most others stats say 4k monitor support.

• 5. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
                  jonathanweber Level 1

Thank you for the clearification on the different manufacturers! You said, that overclocked cards offer better quality - is this visible in the rendered images? I have read that gaming cards are made for FPS while professional cards aim for highest quality, but does that mean that using a gaming card (gtx series) result in lower image quality overall?

• 6. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation

i was speaking to quality on a hardware level. they will often tweak the video card, adding parts, changing the quality of those parts, and layout from the reference design from nvidia, to better handle the stress and demands of overclocking. if needing a card that's very reliable, the quadro's are supposedly built better. they also cost 3-8x as much as the gtx versions. overclocking gtx/gaming cards does get them more fps, while quadro's are often underclocked for reliability. im not sure where the average premium game card thats built for the extreme stress of overclocking lines up, if its any more reliable than the quadro or less.

quality of rendered image would be different than what i was referring to. the quadro's have extra features to prevent errors in rendered images and calculations, but beyond errors there shouldn't be any difference. adobe's software doesn't use most of the features exclusive to the quadro's, thats why the gtx/gamer cards are recommended here. AE's team claimed gpu's weren't good enough for final images, and that's why there is almost no gpu accelerated features in AE. AE did announce recently they are going to start adding in gpu accelerated functions, so i guess they have changed their mind and gpu cards are now good enough for quality images.

• 7. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
                      crevitch

I am interested in this information.  From the adobe site none of the gt(x) 9xx series is listed. I only see gt(x) 6xx and 7xx. How do I know if premier will work with a specific card?  Is there and updated list of supported cards? is either

GTX 970 Graphics or GTX 960 supported.

• 8. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No but the 900 series cards work fine. The updated list are simply the cards Adobe has tested in the past. Any Geforce card with 1GB of vram or more will work with the GPU acceleration.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
                          crevitch Level 1

how about gtx745?

Thanks

• 11. Re: Graphics card for medium-budget desktop workstation
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would not suggest that card since the performance would be poor. I would suggest a 960GTX card. Just make sure you have a 700W or higher PSU.

Eric

ADK