5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 7:41 AM by Newsgroup_User

Design view empty!

hazebiz
      I'm using Flex Builder 3. While creating a UI within the source view, I occasionally switch over to design view to see how things are looking. At a certain point, all my controls disappear from the design window. Everything's still fine within the source view and the app actually compiles and runs just fine. After a while, the Designer just gets itself into some state where it no longer displays controls (nor can controls be added to the UI using the Design view).
      Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

Many thanks!
        • 1. Re: Design view empty!
          hazebiz Level 1
          And, FWIW, I'm running Flex Builder Standalone 3.0.214193.

Thanks!
          • 2. Re: Design view empty!
            everynerd Level 1
            Personally, I find the design view in Flex Builder to be highly useless. If I want to see what I've got I'll run it and see. Usually, after a while designing UI in Flex, you can "best guess" what it's going to look like.

One spot the design view is quite useful is creating your stylesheet, otherwise, I don't use it.
            • 3. Re: Design view empty!
              amol bhandwale Level 1
              Hi,
              did u try using refresh button in design mode?.This may be cause in background other process is running.
              Thanks,
              Amol

• 4. Re: Design view empty!
                hazebiz Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: amol bhandwale
                Hi,
                did u try using refresh button in design mode?.This may be cause in background other process is running.
                Thanks,
                Amol

Hi. Yes, I did try the refresh button. No effect. Even tried shutting the whole thing down and restarting Flex. Nothing.

Do developers simply not use the Designer (as someone alluded to earlier) and do their UI building in source view? I'm currently in the process of evaluating Flex Builder and Silverlight/Expression for a project and I was initially impressed with the Design view, especially after dealing with the rather awkward and "heavy-feeling" Expression UI builder for Silverlight. However, in Expression's defense, it does *work*. The Design View, on the other hand, has a clean and simple layout and seems to be about 90% of the way "there", but in my short experience with it, has catastrophic flaws. (and the outline view needs just a few minor enhancements that would make it very useful).

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

• 5. Re: Design view empty!
                  Level 7

"hazebiz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:glpshi$rji$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >
                  quote:

Originally posted by: amol bhandwale
                  > Hi,
                  > did u try using refresh button in design mode?.This may be cause in
                  > background
                  > other process is running.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Amol
                  >

>
                  > Hi. Yes, I did try the refresh button. No effect. Even tried shutting the
                  > whole thing down and restarting Flex. Nothing.
                  >
                  > Do developers simply not use the Designer (as someone alluded to earlier)
                  > and
                  > do their UI building in source view? I'm currently in the process of
                  > evaluating Flex Builder and Silverlight/Expression for a project and I was
                  > initially impressed with the Design view, especially after dealing with
                  > the
                  > rather awkward and "heavy-feeling" Expression UI builder for Silverlight.
                  > However, in Expression's defense, it does *work*. The Design View, on the
                  > other hand, has a clean and simple layout and seems to be about 90% of the
                  > way
                  > "there", but in my short experience with it, has catastrophic flaws. (and
                  > the
                  > outline view needs just a few minor enhancements that would make it very
                  > useful).

Most of what Flex does well is work with data. When you're in Design view
                  you don't have access to the data, so you get a very truncated picture of
                  what you're going to get when data is present. Since that's the case, if
                  you're using Flex for what it's intended for, you're not going to find
                  Design view very useful.

That being said, I've heard other developers with similar complaints, and I
                  think it has something to do with the java version in the eclipse part of
                  builder. You might want to try updating eclipse, or uninstalling and
                  reinstalling Builder.