4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 6:19 AM by nethstar

Straight Lines in AE CC2015 are unselectable in viewer.

nethstar Level 1

Hey,

I've been having this problem and wanted to make sure it's a UI/AE bug and not just me missing something.

The main issue that I'm coming up against is the inability to select the shape layer (in the comp viewer) if it's drawn as a vertical or Horizontal Line.

It's otherwise selectable on the standard timeline, but when you're working on moving elements in the viewer, it slows down the process to have to select the line's layer in the timeline, and then figure out means of moving it.

From what I can tell, the Line fails to have a correct bounding box. It does not use what's shown in the shape group as the line's bounding box, but instead you're left with a small dot for it's selection. This still does not really allow for moving the object as it's bugged and leads to the line sometimes disappearing.

Example in the shot below about the blue dot (or whatever colour based on your shape layer's colour scheme). There are two here as I was making a graph, and just duped the Horizontal line and rotated it.

AE ISSUE.jpg

Any assistance?

• 1. Re: Straight Lines in AE CC2015 are unselectable in viewer.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Make the lines fatter so they're easier to select.  If you don't want to do that, then select them in the timeline.

• 2. Re: Straight Lines in AE CC2015 are unselectable in viewer.
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it work as you expect if you open it in CC 2014?

• 3. Re: Straight Lines in AE CC2015 are unselectable in viewer.
              nethstar Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Make the lines fatter so they're easier to select.  If you don't want to do that, then select them in the timeline.

Unfortunately, does not work. (Tried creating a line that was 220px thick). Again, its bounding box was a single square, in the centre of the comp.

Please give it a try yourself and see if you come to the same conclusion so you can better understand what I mean, and if you don't, then, well I know I have the problem.

I'm aware that the alternative is to select it in the timeline (I stated it in the original post), but obviously, it's not very intuitive to be working on moving things via "Transform values" when moving everything else on the viewer is faster.

I just presume , If it works for shapes that are "Fill only", they really should work for shapes that are "Stroke only".

Szalam wrote:

Does it work as you expect if you open it in CC 2014?

At the moment I can't check that, and probably won't be able to until the project I'm on is done. Do you have any other thoughts on what the issue might be before I get to reinstalling 2014?

Cheers

• 4. Re: Straight Lines in AE CC2015 are unselectable in viewer.
                nethstar Level 1

Salam Dave LaRonde

It doesn't look like it's working at all across different versions too.

A little bit more information:

I narrowed it down to simply the bounding box for the layer using the shape's anchor point as it's "selection area". A little confusing, but when you draw a straight line, the shape's anchor point is at  0,0 - even if you drew the line at 100,50 coordinates on the comp, the shape layer will always place a the anchor point at 0,0 if the layer is vertical or horizontal and the main layer parameters will use that as it's default bounding box. (You can notice this because the bounding box of the layer is dead in the centre of the screen. All 8 vertices that would be used to transform the layer are all set to 0,0.)

When you draw a diagonal layer, AE handles this differently. Drawing a single line diagonally, then going into the layer. Contents > Shape > Path, then right clicking "Path" and selecting "Reset", you see it uses a box to define the top and bottom areas of the line. Now do this with a Vertical line and you see that it doesn't use anything to define it's points, which I can only presume leads to AE defaulting the bounding box and Anchor point to 0,0 coordinates.

Can anyone try this and report back their findings? It should only take a few seconds to do so.

Cheers