7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 7:46 AM by shalo54

Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)

shalo54 Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering to know what programs can be used to create something like this.

البيت في حلته الجديدة على قناة دبي الأولى - YouTube

Thanks

Alex

• 1. Re: Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To create that from scratch would take a team of people several weeks - if they're working really fast. Just so you know.

You need lighting, cameras, and a green screen for the guy standing there. You would need some nice camera rigs to shoot the car driving. You would need a team to do 3d modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering, etc. on the fish, horses, lamp, and other 3d elements. After all of that was produced, you could use After Effects to composite it all together, motion track the graphic elements, add particle effects, and other things.

So, yes, you could use AE, but you would also use have to use some 3d software. Now, you can fake a lot of stuff using Element 3d, but if you wanted to produce EXACTLY this piece, you would need to use a dedicated 3d app for the modeling at least.

The most important part though is art direction. This piece undoubtedly took a long time in pre-production planning. You need to make storyboards, mood boards, and a lot of other things in addition to a basic script before you shoot your first shot or create your first composition.

• 2. Re: Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)
            shalo54 Level 1

Thank you very much Szalam,

This was just a video I found on youtube that I thought was great.

let me see if I got this right , So to have similar animals that were made from words I will need a 3D model of the animal and some text to create a texture over it and a  program( what program?) to animate them?

• 3. Re: Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

shalo54 wrote:

So to have similar animals that were made from words I will need a 3D model of the animal and some text to create a texture over it and a  program( what program?) to animate them?

You could do all of that in Cinema 4D. You could create the model and texture in the version that comes for free with After Effects, but rigging them for animation would require a full version of C4D.

• 4. Re: Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)
                shalo54 Level 1

Thank you very much for your info.

• 6. Re: Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's a list of the AE skills you would need to reproduce that video:

1. Motion tracking
                  2. Camera tracking
                  3. Stabilization
                  4. Masking
                  5. Rotoscope (Roto brush)
                  6. Keying
                  7. Compositing
                  8. Blend modes
                  9. Thorough knowledge of Trapcode Particular
                  10. Color grading
                  Here's a list of the 3-D skills you will need to master:
                  1. Modeling
                  2. Rigging
                  3. 3-D particle systems
                  4. Integrating 3-D cameras with aftereffects cameras
                  5. Multi pass rendering options
                  6. Texturing
                  7. Reflection mapping and ray-tracing

Add to that a thorough knowledge of  production planning for visual effects and a thorough knowledge of the use of professional video cameras.

If someone were to ask me to produce that video we would be talking at least six figures And 30 to 45 days minimum production time. Throw more money at the project and more people and you could probably knock it out in two weeks not including several days of preproduction planning and storyboarding.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but that video would make a good full semester of hard work for a class of 30 at the college of your choice.

To give you some perspective I spent an hour and 45 minutes this morning tracking 215 frames of a poorly shot service truck driving down the street and replacing the logo on the side. The hard parts were the tracking because the  cinematographer was not very careful about reflections and shadows and obstructions, and the layering process required to makeit believable by adding back the natural reflections and shadows on the side of the truck. The shot was 60 fps so that works out to an hour and 45 minutes work for 3 1/2 seconds of video just to replace a logo.

• 7. Re: Is this possible with After Effect?( youtube video attached)
                    shalo54 Level 1

Thank you very much Rick for your detail response,

I was just amazed when I first watched this video, but I couldn't imagine how much time and effort spent to create it .

I personally have very high respect to all professionals , I am waaaaay far from creating anything even remotely close to this .

When you mentioned that it took you1:45 to swap a logo on a 3.5sec.  video  now I have deeper appreciation for those who create those commercial and intros.

It took me couple of days to figure out how to do a cheesy animation of a Pipe-vise.(I will attach it here as soon as I figure out how to attach a video)

Thank you again