12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 4:58 AM by Jim Wilde

Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos

kristins68598882

I'm running Lightroom CC 2015.3 on Mac OS 10.10.5. I have a series of folders which contained .nef files that I edited in Lightroom. It was the first thing I did in Lightroom, and I later decided to restructure my folder system and somewhere along the way I lost the connection to these images. Currently this is my situation:

I can see all the folders and images in Finder

I can see all the folders in my Folders panel in Lightroom. The directory structure matches exactly.

Each folder has '. . .' next to it, rather than the number of images

If I click on the folder name, Lightroom displays "No photo selected" and no photos can be seen

The photos are not in the 'Missing Images' section

If I try to synchronize the folder using the Library menu, I get the Synchronize dialog box, but after each option it says (counting) and the Synchronize button is greyed out

If I try to reimport the photos, the import dialog displays them grayed out, and says that they have already been imported (even if the 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates' button is unchecked)

I am able to copy the photos to a different directory, and then import them, but all my edits are lost. This is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to lose all my edits. How can I get Lightroom to re-recognize these photos?

I've been through the forums and have found questions describing similar problems, but none of the solutions which have been described have worked for me. I'd appreciate any other thoughts anyone has. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi kristins,

Do you have any filter turned on by any chance?

The best way to change folder organization is through within Lightroom instead of doing it outside Lightroom.

Since, you have done it outside Lightroom, best way for you would be to relocate the missing images.

Also, check if you have a backup Catalog and relocate missing images from there if you have all the images here.

Refer this article : How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
            dj_paige Level 9

Are there question mark icons on your folders? Are there exclamation point icons on your photos?

Since the photos have already been imported, then importing again (or synchronizing the folder) will not help and would make things worse if you actually were able to do this. You need to find the photos in your Lightroom. How to do this depends on the answers to the questions above.

it would also help if you showed us a screen capture of the problem.

• 3. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
              kristins68598882 Level 1

There are no question mark icons on the folders. The folder name is grayed out and next to it is an elipse - '...' - which I understand is Adobe's way of indicating that the process is working or counting. When I click on the folder name no photos display.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 3.19.56 PM.png

There is no exclamation point on the photos because they won't display in Library. The only place they do display is on the Import screen, but there they are grayed out:

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 3.22.10 PM.png

Please let me know if I can provide any more info, and thanks again for your help.

• 4. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                dj_paige Level 9

I want to see the Library Grid view, are there exclamation points there?

What happens if you go to Grid View, click on All Photographs, turn off all filters (Cmd-L once or twice) and then scroll all the way up and down, do you see your photos then?

• 5. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                  kristins68598882 Level 1

Yes! I do see them in the All Photos view. So how do I figure out where they are? And get them to be recognized in the right folder?

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 3.49.07 PM.png

• 6. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                    dj_paige Level 9

Well that's good news. To find the folder they are in, you can right-click on the photo (I think on a Mac it is Ctrl-click), and select Go To Folder In Library.

This will highlight in the Lightroom Folder Panel the folder that this specific photo is in. You may have to scroll up or down to see the highlighted folder. With any luck, your folders will still be intact, with all desired photos, just in a different drive/folder location than you thought.

From there, you could move the photos back to the desired folder, or ... if you don't mind me making a suggestion ... don't use folders any more to classify and organize and search, use keywords and other metadata to organize and search, and then you won't have to worry about the photo being in the "wrong" folder because there are no "wrong" folders.

• 7. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                      kristins68598882 Level 1

After right-clicking and selecting 'Go To Folder' the navigation panel on the left jumped around, but no folder was highlighted. Knowing which folder it belonged in, I tried to move it anyway, and I got this error message. Any thoughts as to what to do about that?

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 4.10.47 PM.png

• 8. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                        dj_paige Level 9

Okay, right-click (Cntrl-Clik) on a photo and select Show in Finder. That will also tell you what folder Lightroom thinks the photo is in.

Based on your last screen capture, there are likely two copies of this photo, one in the folder YOU think it is in, and one in the folder Lightroom thinks it is in.

If that is the case, you'd have to delete the copy in the folder YOU think it is in (using your operating system) before you can do the move in Lightroom. (Try this on one photo first to see if it works, in fact don't delete the one photo from the folder YOU think it is in, but instead move it to your desktop until we are sure this will work).

• 9. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                          kristins68598882 Level 1

Lightroom and I both think the file is in the same folder, but it seems that somewhere along the way I managed to create the folders twice in Lightroom - once with the parent folder listed and once without it. On the top left of the screen below you can see the folder "Alaska" under the directory '07 July', and it is all the subdirectories under 'Alaska' that have the photos that I can't see. Toward the lower part of the pane, you can see the 'Alaska' directory again, with the same subdirectory structure under it. However, when I right-clicked on the lower 'Alaska' folder and tried to show the parent folder, I got the error message that you see. Lightroom won't let me remove either one of the duplicate folders, and I can't delete the files inside because I can't see them. Do you think there is any way out of this mess?

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 5.42.48 PM.png

• 10. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                            dj_paige Level 9

Okay, so I think I have seen this problem or a similar problem reported for Mac computers before, where the folder appears twice in the Folder panel, corresponding to a single actual folder. Since I am not a Mac person, I do not know the answer (if there is one). I hope someone else will come along with ideas.

Again, I state my advice that if you organize and search by keywords and other metadata, then there is no problem. it ddoesn't matter what folder you or Lightroom thinks the photo is in, because you are no longer using folders to find your photos.

• 11. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                              kristins68598882 Level 1

Thanks for trying to help. I'll keep searching . . .

• 12. Re: Lightroom keeps counting but won't display my photos
                                Jim Wilde Level 5

Could you change the folder display option, so that it might make it a little easier to see what's going on? Click on the "+" sign at the right-hand side of the Folders Panel header, then in the resulting context menu change the Root Folder Display to "Folder Name Only", then repeat the screenshot of the Folders Panel (so that both of the "Alaska" entries are showing).