8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 2:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?

jimh59 Level 1

Can you elaborate on specifically what is new for 4K that is not in Elements 13? Your "What's New" web info on Elements 14 says "NEW Go beyond HD with 4K. Edit and view high-resolution 4K movies for the ultimate cinematic experience". However, Premier Elements 13 already handles 14 Video with XAVCS format. I use a Sony FDR-AX33 camcorder and am able to edit and generate 4K XAVCS video files. If you can tell me what is really new that would be great.

Thanks, Jim

• 1. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Are you talking about 4K as in 3840 x 2160 or 4090 x 2160?

Premiere Elements 12 through 14 have project presets and export settings for 4K 3840 x 2160. The export bears titles ranging from export Format =  MP4 - XAVC-S to H.264.

There are no 4K 4090 x 2160 project presets for Premiere Elements 12 through 14. So far we are the "same" for the answer. But,

In 14, you can export as 4090 x 2160 using Export & Share/Devices/Custom - advanced settings Format = H.264 including Profile = 5.2 which will enable you to set the 4090 x 2160 frame size. In 13's Publish+Share/Computer/XAVC-S, the advanced settngs Profile goes only to 5.1. So I see no way of exporting 4090 x 2160 from 13.

There may be advances "under the hook", but I cannot elaborate on them.

Have you done a comparison with your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 14 from Adobe to explore potential "under the hood" advances?

I will think about this some more. The above is what first comes to mind.

ATR

• 2. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
            jimh59 Level 1

Hi ATR.

Yea, I should have been specific with the format. My camcorder uses 3840 x 2160 which Elements 13 supports. So I think you answered my question - what's new for Elements 14 is the  4090 x 2160 format - which is not my requirement. So I'll stick with Elements 13 until there is a significant feature upgrade for my use.

BTW, here is a feature that would make me upgrade: With my 3840 x 2160 format, I found I use the Detailed Shake Stabilizer a lot, as minute camera movement is much more noticeable than with my previous HD video. And Elements detailed stabilizer has very good results - I am quite impressed, although it takes a long time to process. Right now Elements 13 only allows me to trigger stabilization on one clip at a time. It would be very nice to select multiple clips and tell Elements to stabilize them all - one at a time. That way I could walk away and let it do its thing without coming back every 5 minutes to have it process the next clip.

Much appreciated,

Jim

• 3. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the reply.

As for the 13's Shake Stabilizer (Shake Reduction in 14), I do not find your preferred scenario to work. But please evaluate the following in 13 to determine it is doable.

The Adjust Tab/Adjustment Palette/Shake Stabilizer route is not going to let you in with more than one Timeline file selected or Group applied to multiple Timeline clips.

Determine if the following has any merit since I cannot suggest the scenario that you would prefer.

Apply the Shake Stabilizer to first image. Right click the stabilized image, select Copy. Select all the rest of the files, all at one time, right click anywhere in the selection and select Paste Effects and Adjustments.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
                whsprague Level 4

jimh59 wrote:

..... If you can tell me what is really new that would be great.

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

I've been shooting 4K with a Panasonic LX100 for over a year and started using Premier Elements at version 9.   When I got the camera I thought I would have to abandon the Premier Elements 13 I was using at the time because there was no mention of 4K in any of the marketing literature and specifications.  Through trial and error, I found everything in 13 works fine with 4K.  It was like the the programming engineers and the marketing folks forgot to talk about it!  It was all there, but nobody was bragging about it!

When 14 came out last fall, I was eager to upgrade because of advertised improvements.  I could not find any that would be useful to me.   At the time, I pressed a major contributor here and he said he thought he could feel a slight performance improvement but could not measure it.  

A good summary of 13 to 14 differences can be seen here:  http://muvipix.com/stevepe14/learning_pdf.php?preview=WhatsNewInPrEl14   Some of the new tools might have use, but nothing unique to the 4K clips that come from Sony or Panasonic cameras.  If you happen to have a Samsung camera that uses H.265, Premier Elements does not have that capability. 

Bill

• 5. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
                  jimh59 Level 1

Hi ATR.

Thanks for your suggestion. I gave it a try (copy stabilized clip, then paste effects & adjustments across multiple clips), but it still doesn't do the stabilization on the multiple clips.It does apply the Stabilize effect, but each clip says "Frame not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize". I then have to click the Stabilize button on each clip one at a time for it to process the stabilization. Maybe you can forward this requirement to your product development team to include in a future release?

Bill, thanks for your reply and link to a detailed review. Good info.

Jim

• 6. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up on that Shake Stabiizer effect on multiple clips.

l am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway. Just a frequent visitor to the Premiere Elements Forum to help others troubleshoot by sharing my own views and what worked for me or from what I have read. You might consider filing one of those Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Forms to comment to Adobe about features.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

The frequency of appearance of the Adobe presence in this forum is undefined. From time to time Adobe Staff and Premiere Elements Help Team will post (usual for current version issue).

Does your work with 4K video take you to burn to AVCHD or Blu-ray ISO Image? Version 13 has a serious flaw in ISO Image feature....file size of the generated .iso file (over 1 GB) results in player recognition problem when the iso is taken to disc. The problem was resolved in 14.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
                      jimh59 Level 1

Hi ATR.

Funny - I assumed you were with Adobe due to your frequent replies to this and some other posts, although I was suspicious your name didn't reference Adobe. Thanks for your replies as it is much appreciated. And I will try filling out a Feature Request form with the link you provided.

For your other question, I have burned Blu-Ray from my 4K video which down-grades it to HD to give away, as most people don't have 4K TV's yet. For myself, I use Elements 13 to generate XAVCS 4K video files which I then transfer over to my 4K TV to view - and looks very good. I found with 4K that I need to hold the camcorder as still as possible (be much more conscious of that) and also be much slower in panning so the 4K quality comes through with the movement. HD wasn't as sensitive.

For ISO images, I use freeware IMG Burrn for that - to create an image from a Blu-Ray I burned from Elements, also to burn BDR copies from the ISO. Nice to know Elements 14 covers that for when I upgrade in the future.

FYI, in the recent past I have used freeware Handbrake to rip video files from my old DVD's. Now that storage is so cheap, I have playable video files of all my old video creations.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 8. Re: Whats new with Elements 14 for 4K Video?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

JIm

Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to make sure we were Ok on one point...

You can create an AVCHD ISO Image or a Blu-ray ISO Image in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 from your Timeline content, but, if the file size of the .iso file produced is over 1 GB, major problem exists. After you take that .iso to disc with a program such as IMGBurn, the format on the disc produced is not recognized by the player. Details are in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

This problem does not exist in Premiere Elements 14/14.1.

Best wishes. Very interesting questions.

ATR