9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 4:07 PM by MrJoshameeGibbs

Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?

MrJoshameeGibbs

Okay, so I shot my video in full screen HD, and when I export it, the quality is poor and it fits half the screen. I had no idea when I started of what settings to choose, so that's probably the problem. But now, I deseperately hope that someone tells me there's something to do, because I've worked on this project for 3 years now and I cannot start over again.

The settings of the project are DV NTSC.

The videos I'm using are in .MTS and .MOV

I'm not sure what information you may need, but feel free to ask.

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 1. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJoshameeGibbs

Premiere Elements 9 on what computer operating system? Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program?

If not and you are having problems other than aspect ratio, please download it from the following location and not in the project under Help Menu/Updates.

For Windows - Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

For Mac - Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Macintosh : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

From the sounds of this, you started this as a new project with the default which is NTSC DV Standard, a 4:3 project preset with a 4:3 space in the Edit area monitor where you do your editing. High definition video is characterized by 16:9. But, it is unclear how you did not notice this sooner since this is a 3 year old project. Let us do this

1. In the opened project, go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

2. What are the properties of those movie files - are they 1920 x 1080 or something else and what is the frame rate? Does the description of the movies include 1080i30 or 1080p30 or both?

3. When you went to export your Timeline content what export setting did you want and select in the Share Area? Did you go with all default settings for the export?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
            MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll go in order.

I downloaded the update, I was still with the old version.

I'm working on Windows 10.

Editing Mode: DV NTSC

Timebase: 29,97 images/s

Frame Size: 720 (horizontally), 480 (vertically)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0,9091)

For the .MTS videos:

1920 x 1080

Frame rate: 59 frame/s

For the .VOB videos: (I know I said .MOV earlier, my mistake)

720 x 480

Frame rate: 29 frame/s

Can you tell me where to look to know if they are 1080p30 or 1080i30? But I think they are 1080p30.

But the .MTS videos are more present in the project, it's just because I started shooting my movie with a different camera (.VOB).

3. I tried a couple, to name a few (sorry it's in french) :

MPEG : Norme NTSC DVD or NTSC DVD Grand Écran, FLV

Adobe Flash Video : Web grande taille, Source NTSC grand écran (Flash 8 et version ultérieure)

AVI : DV NTSC Grand Écran

I changed a bit the settings, but I could never make them full screen...

Thank you,

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 3. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJoshameeGibbs

Thank you for the reply with important troubleshooting information.

What we are going to do is work only with the high definition video first, that is,

.MTS videos:

1920 x 1080

Frame rate: 59 frame/s

This should be 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second

1. Premiere Element 9.0/9.0.1 does not have a 1920 x 1080p60 project preset, but we can use the following. So, please set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

That will give you a 1920 x 1080 space in the Edit area monitor. The frame rate at this point is not a consideration unless you are planning to do frame by frame by frame editing.

2. When you are ready to export your Timeline content, we are going to try the H.264.mp4 export.

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod and iPhone - High Quality

and then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, set the advanced export settings as you see in the following screenshot

pe9settingsthursday.JPG

If that works for you, then we will go onto to the 720 x 480 4:3 which is not 16:9 like the project we just did above.

We want a 16:9 workflow from start to finish, so we need to talk about this 4:3 footage in the 16:9 project if you want to use both kinds in the 16:9 project.

Please consider. If any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
                MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I'm not sure I understand... Can I change the settings of my existing project? Or do I have to start over again? Because I know that using the project settings you said, I get a full screen, but the reason I came here is because I cannot start all over again, giving how much time I put in this project. If it's impossible to make it full screen, I'll let it as it is.

I've never tried the H.264.mp4 export though, is it better than AVI and the rest?

There's something weird about the .VOB files, it's written they are 720 x 480, which you're saying is supposed to be 4:3 files, but they're actually 16:9 as you can see in these screenshots:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

I'm a bit confused with all this, thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJoshameeGibbs

Officially you cannot change the settings of the present project after it has been established. From all that has been written, you appear to have 4:3 project settings for both 16:9 source files.

The hope would be to change the project preset from NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen or some other 16:9 project preset.

But, I have written about a way to do that change in some cases by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed Premiere Elements project file (.prel).

But, editing this Notepad document can be difficult if you have not done it before.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

Note: NTSC DV Standard and NTSC DV Widescreen have the same frame size 720 x 480. The difference is that the widescreen has a 16:9 flag that stretches the video to 872 x 480 for display after encoding. You can tell them apart in properties - the standard has a pixel aspect ratio = 0.9091 and the widescreen has a pixel aspect ratio = 1.2121.

As a desperate move, I am wondering if we could take the 16:9 export (which presents with black borders) into a Premiere Elements project set for NTSC DV Widescreen. Then scale the Timeline video just to fill that space in the Edit mode monitor. Then export with a 16:9 export choice. This may look a little zoomed in, but it might be a way to salvage what you have.

Consider, let me know if you understand the comments. I will re-write wherever needed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
                    MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

Editing the Notepad seems to be the solution, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do that...

I've tried making it full screen by creating another project, but the quality of the video becomes even worse (and it was already poor, even though it's supposed to be HD).

Thank you,

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 7. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJoshameeGibbs

Thank you for the reply and update on your troubleshooting.

When you created the new project, what settings did you use? Did you let the project select the project preset for you automatically or did you set the project preset manually to NTSC DV Widescreen project preset or something else with File Menu/New/Project Change Settings?

We are dealing with two different sources of video formats and frame rates. You need to set priorities.

The settings are going to be for either 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second project or 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second project and fitting one of them into the priority setting. There is only one project preset per Premiere Elements project. There is the risk of pixelation in the project scaling the 720 x 480 16:9 into the 1920 x 1080 project.

To salvage the project with the incorrect project setting (NTSC DV Standard) is via the editing of the Notepad document of the saved closed project file that you have now. If you do not think you can do that, then a new project with the suggested project preset and export settings should be the way. Have you explored all scaling possibilities in the Edit area monitor. Look at Properties Motion Panel expanded and, if necessary, remove the check mark next to Uniform Scale if you need to scale Width separate from Height.

As a side note...the export that I have detailed has a 59.94 progressive frame rate to favor the 1920 x 1080. You could look at the export as 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Please let me know if I am targeting what you need and if we are OK on the details between us. If necessary, I will customize the Notepad document editing details for you.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
                        MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I can't believe it, I tried with the .mp4 export you told me, then I made it full screen in another project and I exported in .mp4 again and it's perfect!

The video is full screen and there is no quality loss whatsoever.

Thank you very very much,

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 9. Re: Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?
                          MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I just noticed that when I export the project with the .mp4 settings you gave me, the .MTS videos are perfect bu the .VOB videos are a bit weird, probably because they have 29 frame/s. Is there some .mp4 advanced export settings that would work for both my .MTS videos and my .VOB videos ?