9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 11:41 AM by Szalam

After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly

csherreit12 Level 1

I'm trying to open .mov files in After Effects on my PC, but the files keep displaying incorrectly.  When I open them in Quicktime or in Premiere, they open correctly.  They also open correctly when I open them on AE on a Mac.  My guess is there must be some plugin I'm missing, but nothing I've tried has worked.  Has anyone had this issue before?

TB Sh05.png

• 1. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly
          csherreit12 Level 1

I've tried opening the file on my PC in AE CC 2014 and AE CC 2015 and neither of them have worked.

• 2. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What codec are these .mov files encoded with? .MOV is just a wrapper. You can have all kinds of codecs in it. Photo-JPEG, PNG, Animation - heck, you can even have h.264 in there (although that's a bit buggy).

What version of QuickTime do you have installed?

• 3. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly
              csherreit12 Level 1

It's an Apple ProRes (apcn) codec.

Quicktime 7.7.9

I'm most confused about the fact that the video files work in Quicktime, but not in AE

• 4. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This looks like AVCHD  MPEG compression errors to me. If the Adobe media encoder or Premiere Pro will open the files I would transcode them to an image sequence or a suitable visually lossless production format.

• 5. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly

Not so odd that it would work in QuickTime, but not AE. I've seen that sort of thing before. However, it is rather odd that it works in Premiere, but not AE.

Today I had a JPEG that wouldn't import to AE and Photoshop wouldn't open it either. I could see the image in Bridge, it opened in Windows Picture Viewer, and it would open in Paint. So I simply resaved it out of Windows' Paint program and voila! It worked in AE and Photoshop.

What does that file look like when it isn't screwing up?

I'm with Rick that trying to transcode them to a different codec and see if that helps. But if it's a ProRes codec, you shouldn't be getting compression errors like that...

This could be a fun one to track down.

What actual version numbers are the CC 2014 and CC 2015 versions you tried to use? Your screenshot shows an out-of-date version of CC 2014 or something even earlier.

• 6. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly
                    csherreit12 Level 1

When it's not screwing up it's a normal video with actors on a green screen.

CC 2014.2   13.2.0.49

CC 2015.0    13.5.0.347

I tried opening it in Premiere and importing it into AE from Premiere, but then it just gives me a black screen.

• 7. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly

That screenshot isn't from 13.2 though. Blue highlights, not orange were introduced in the 13.1 update, so that screenshot was done in something older than 13.1. So you can understand my confusion.

Also, CC 2015 is now on version 13.6.1, so try it in that if you can. (Remember, don't let CC remove your old versions when/if you update.)

csherreit12 wrote:

I tried opening it in Premiere and importing it into AE from Premiere, but then it just gives me a black screen.

Did you use the Import Premiere Pro Project option which brings in your full sequence with each edit on its own layer or did you use the regular import that uses Dynamic Link so the whole Premiere sequence is on one layer in AE?

I still agree with you that it's weird that it works in Premiere, but not AE. Can you transcode it in AME to something like QuickTime with the PNG codec?

• 8. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly
                        csherreit12 Level 1

Wow, you know a crazy amount of obscure AE history!  I took the screen shot at some point during the troubleshooting process, so I guess I must have updated again afterwards.

In Premiere, I added the footage to the sequence and then right-clicked and selected "Replace with After Effects Composition."

However, just now I tried to reimport the files into Premiere and it said the file has no audio or video streams.  So now Premiere won't recognize the file either.

Szalam wrote:

I still agree with you that it's weird that it works in Premiere, but not AE. Can you transcode it in AME to something like QuickTime with the PNG codec?

I'm working as part of a larger visual effects department, so I'm hesitant to transcode anything on my end which might screw up the workflow for everyone else.

• 9. Re: After Effects on PC not displaying .mov files correctly

csherreit12 wrote:

Wow, you know a crazy amount of obscure AE history!

I learned my AE basics from VHS tapes featuring Brian Maffit, but that's not how I know this lol

There was a big stink on these forums when the blue was introduced from people who had issues seeing it, so it stuck in my head. I, personally, prefer the blue, but I don't have visual impairment issues with colors.

csherreit12 wrote

I'm working as part of a larger visual effects department, so I'm hesitant to transcode anything on my end which might screw up the workflow for everyone else.

QuickTime with the PNG codec shouldn't bother anybody. It can be read in Final Cut, Avid, and Premiere Pro.

csherreit12 wrote:

However, just now I tried to reimport the files into Premiere and it said the file has no audio or video streams.  So now Premiere won't recognize the file either.

What version of QuickTime do you have installed? AE should be able to read ProRes files if the appropriate QuickTime is installed (but you can't encode back into ProRes without some third-party solution).

You want some flavor of QuickTime 7. I don't have forum-appropriate words for the product referred to as QuickTime X. Although, I've heard that the X stands for "excrement".