6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 9:34 AM by katherine.mary

EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS

katherine.mary Level 1

since learning Fireworks is no longer supported Ive been desparately looking for an alternative. And while Ive found one fantastic program the one thing it cant do, no other application is allowed to do, and as far as I know, no other adobe applications can do, is open a fireworks PNG and maintain the editability of the vectors. Everything gets flattened.

It not that its not possible for an application developer to use that information which is stored within a fireworks file, its that its not permitted. So all you get is a flat file.

I realize a lot of people are clinging to the hope that fireworks can be maintained but mine has already begun breaking down to a degree that its too difficult to work with. Hence the desparate search for something that will make the transition away from fireworks less painful.

is there ANYthing out there that does not negate the editability of the fireworks vectors? I did find if I copy and pasted into illustrator I could grab the styles. but as those could not be saved out in anyway other than .ai they are also useless in any other program including adobe.

Man, did they bother to think about what they were doing to us when they abandoned fireworks with not a single other option?

Im not just having to port out PAGES and PAGES into another format. Im finding that many programs are not allowed to maintain the editability of a layered PNG.

Thats really really utterly mindless. I really am stuck having to recreate EVERYTHING in order to keep it editable and have styles and swatches intact.

OMG so buried under the sheer load of what I am having to deal with.

• 1. Re: EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS
          Herbert2001 Level 4

That is how it works when dealing with native source files: even PSD files are problematic in other image editors, and will throw away and/or flatten layers. Most will not load smart objects for example (the latest Photoline beta being one of the exceptions).

Why do you need to convert all your older files? When I left Fireworks behind, I only converted whatever I needed as I continued working on new projects in other applications. Keep an old installation of Fireworks around to convert files when you need them. Perhaps even install the Windows version in a virtual machine on your Mac. Or on an old Windows machine.

Anyway, if you need to keep your vectors editable, save your work as SVG - which is an open format, and compatible with many design applications. Affinity loads SVG.

http://firetuts.com/export-svg-with-fireworks/

I think exporting your artwork as SVG is your best bet.

• 2. Re: EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS
            Herbert2001 Level 4

Btw, that extension also exports your pages and states to nicely numbered files. And styles are converted to css.

• 3. Re: EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS
              katherine.mary Level 1

Ill check out SVG again. what I read yesterday suggested it did not save out with the results as compared the FXG. Id love to skip a step. so Ill get the extension and give it a whirl.

as for CSS...as far as I know affinity does not import css. so thats not an option Im interested in. I have always preferred to write my own CSS anyway. Less bloated than any tool Ive used and that includes fireworks.

Thanks for the feedback guys. totally appreciated!

• 4. Re: EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS
                katherine.mary Level 1

update: tested suggestions to export as PSD and as SVG

I tested with a fireworks file containing 2 pages, numerous layers. One page contained only the layers of an apple I had created. The apple contained feathered edges and gradients. The second page contained editable vectors also with gradients and no feathering. In addition the second page contained editable text with gradients.

Results are as seen in the attached image. Click to view larger

I think you can see by the original image why Im finding the loss of Fireworks so painful. It IS my creation tool of choice. Creating the same apple in Illustrator was too tedious and not at all as delicious. I chose to leave out the text samples only because they had to be converted to vectors to save them out as PSD. And the results were the same. Only FXG to Illustrator retained the editability of the text.

I AM a fireworks diva. Defo not my choice to leave it.

testing conversions from FW.png

• 5. Re: EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS
                  Herbert2001 Level 4

Your results match mine. My workflow is as follows:

1) inspect the original file in Fireworks, and jot down the feathering applied to strokes/objects.

2) export to SVG

3) import into Photoline.

4) select each vector layer and apply a live Gaussian blur effect with the same or slightly increased radius.

Here is a quick example. The first one is the converted version in Photoline (vector layers, with a live Gaussian blur applied - identical values). The second one is the Fireworks version. They look pretty much identical. I do find I need to increase the strength of the blur a tad in Photoline.

sample.png

Which proves the "feathering" edge option is merely a live Gaussian blur filter applied.

You will be glad to learn that Affinity Designer also offers a Gaussian live effect. Yes, it is a bit of a pain to manually repair the feathering, but it can be done relatively easily and quickly.

• 6. Re: EDITABILIT: what else can open and edit fireworks VECTORS
                    katherine.mary Level 1

we need an alternative because on newer computers the older fireworks no longer functions.