1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 4:44 PM by Chetna Srivastava

Moving from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom CC & my photo library on 2 Macs?

Ileneh Level 1

Back Story: I keep my imported Lightroom photos in a separate folder called Lightroom_Photos on an external disk. I create Smart Previews for everything imported. Currently, I use Lightroom 5 on OS X 10.8.5 on my late 2012 iMac and my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I copy the Lightroom 5 Catalog onto my MacBook Pro and use the Smart Previews function to view photos. On my iMac I access the original files and do all my editing & saving there (into my Lightroom_Photos folder).

I have installed OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) on my iMac and do not plan to update the OS on my MacBook Pro.

Question1: IF I upgrade to the Cloud version of Lightroom (CC2105) on my iMac, will I still be able to use the smart previews in my LR catalog on my MacBook running Lightroom 5?

In short, the iMac will have a newer operating system AND a newer version of Lightroom. What will that do to me or my files when trying to access them on an older OS and older version of LR on my laptop?

Question2: If I decide I can no longer keep the Cloud version of LR, will my Lightroom Catalog still be useable in LR 6 (assuming I buy that upgrade)?

All of these questions also apply to Photoshop….  boy, am I hating software updates ! ! ! !

Thank you for your assistance.

• 1. Re: Moving from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom CC & my photo library on 2 Macs?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Ileneh,

No, you would not be able to access Lightroom 6 Catalog and Smart Previews from iMac to Lightroom 5 catalog on Macbook as the downgrade of the catalog is not supported.

Once you will install Lightroom CC on iMac, you will get an option to upgrade your Lightroom 5 Catalog to CC version and it will keep both catalogs intact (Lightroom 5 and CC).

You can keep both versions of Lightroom installed on your iMac if you want.

Yes, you will be able to access Lightroom CC Catalog in Lightroom 6 if you choose to upgrade to standalone Lightroom 6.

Regards,

Chetna