15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 10:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file

robb70678329

Hi, all. Newbie to Premiere Elements, and video editing in general. I'm on Windows 10 on an Asus Zenbook UX31A with Intel graphics (if you need more details, just ask). I've spent the past month in Camtasia Studio, which was much, much more intuitive than PE, so I'm having trouble right off the bat.

I'm editing a 1-hour video file sent to me by a client. Here are the specs of that video:

videodetails.PNG

Edit: I should also add that the source video was compressed when it was sent to me. It's to be uploaded onto Vimeo when it's all said and done, so they were trying to get it under Vimeo's file size limits.

When I start a new project, import this video, and add it to the timeline, it drops the first few minutes of the frame (It's a shot of a screencast presentation that doesn't start until 3:30 in, so it looks like a still frame). PE clips it so it actually appears as if it starts at :57, completely screwing up the audio/ video sync. It also condenses the audio to the point that there's no audio whatsoever after 35 minutes. So it's dropping entire minutes from the video and the audio.

For example, in the original clip, a shot of a presentation slide is up from 4:28 to 5:09. When I add that video to the timeline in a project in PRE 14, that same shot appears from 1:10 to 1:14.

All I want to do is keep the original video file intact while importing and work with that. What can I do?

• 1. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Those are non-standard resolution, frame rate and audio specs -- so I'm not sure how your friend created these videos but we'll need to know more before we can even attempt to work on them.

Open the video in G Spot or Media Info and post the audio and video codecs that are listed. Also, is this an AVI, MOV, MP4 or what?

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

• 2. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
            robb70678329 Level 1

Here you go. (It's a screencast shot on a Macbook)

1.20.2016.PNG

• 3. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file

This is definitely an odd file and may not be editable in Premiere Elements. Codec Status Undetermined is not a good indicator.

What shows when you open the file in Media Info?

• 4. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                robb70678329 Level 1

mediainfo.PNG

Can I use Handbrake to convert the video to a more suitable format? If so, which parameters should I use, and which corresponding preset in PE?

• 5. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file

Well, it's got some weird specs -- but there's no reason I can see that you shouldn't be able to edit it in Premiere Elements -- assuming you've got Quicktime installed, per the program's requirements. The video just isn't going to fit neatly into a video frame. But otherwise, it should work.

I'm not sure why Premiere Elements is clipping the beginning of the video. One solution might be to run the video through Windows MovieMaker by dropping it on the MovieMaker timeline and then select the MP4 HD output option.

That may seem silly, putting and MP4 in just to get an MP4 out, but MovieMaker is a bit more versatile with the types of videos it can work with, and the MP4 it will output will likely be more compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                    Himalaysian Level 1

Definitely try using Handbrake. Use the high profile setting since your source is higher resolution than 720p.

Handbrake should automatically set the resolution to match as well as the audio settings based on the original file.

The settings you need to change are under the video tab are different between PC and Mac. I will read you the settings from the PC version:

Video Codec (leave as H.264)

Framerate (Same as source) I see you have WEIRD FPS in your screenshots. You might have to change this.

Select Constant Framerate

Go for Average Bitrate instead of Constant Quality. Set Avg Bitrate between 4000-5000.

Before you start converting, go into TOOLS OPTIONS OUTPUTFILE and set it to ALWAYS USE MP4

START

Watch a couple movies...rendering can take a while...

Hope it helps...good luck

• 7. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I dont think the resolution is going be the problem but the framerate is: 2 frames per second, hence the audio issue and still appearance.

Also camtasia uses TechSmit codec. Better is to use something like Lagarith and a framerate of at least 12 or 15.

• 8. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Himalaysian

I suspect that the "atypical" aspects of this video can be traced back to someone trying to control the file size of the video for Vimeo purposes- lower bitrate (around 351 kbps) and lower frame rate (around 2 frames/second).

Even if the suggested workflow produces a H.264.mp4 file more compatible with Premiere Elements workflow than the original, the file size will increase which is counterproductive if the original goal was to reduce file size for Vimeo purposes. Compare the original bitrate around 351 kbps (kilobits per second) with the suggested Avg Bitrate "between 4000-5000" (the Handbrake units would be kbps).

So far, I have been just a follower of the discussion in progress. But, I came into this thread now when I saw the suggested workflow. Could you clarify?

If my comment about the origin of the "atypical" aspects of this video are correct, then using any program/workflow (including a Lagarith video codec that would increase the file size) would be counterproductive.

Please consider.

ATR

• 9. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file

It depends on the poster's goals.

Ann and I were under the impression he wanted to edit the video in Premiere Elements before posting it to Vimeo -- in which case re-encoding it makes sense.

But if all he wants to do is reduce the file size in order to post it to Vimeo, then it makes more sense to just post it to Vimeo as is.

• 10. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

robb

I think that we are in agreement that you wanted to edit the video in Premiere Elements before posting it to Vimeo. But, it does not make sense if the file size in the export is going to be a problem at Vimeo.

Suggestions given you so far will increase the file size of the export if you get that far.

Details below for your confirmation and clarification......

I am understanding from what you have written that you were given a file which someone has sent to you for editing in Premiere Elements and this person created and exported that file in as small a file size as possible to meet Vimeo requirements - a priority in this case. Your directive seems to have been to edit that video, maintain the file size and other video properties in the Premiere Elements export.

Next, you go to edit this video in Premiere Elements and run into the serious workflow problems that you describe in your thread introduction. Several solutions seem to have been suggested, all will increase the file size. Is that acceptable to you if you have a Vimeo file size requirement to have to fit into? If so, fine.

Other comments as applicable....your original file is .mp4. If this is an "in edit out same as original", just one of the facts is that there is no 2 frames per second frame rate for exports for MP4. I believe 10 frames per second is the lowest. Under the AVI export, I see frame rates of 1 and 5 and other frames per second. Lots to think about regarding your video editing assignment.

Please clarify so that we can customize the reply to your situation and goals.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                              robb70678329 Level 1

First, thanks so much for the detailed replies. Because of all the issues, the assignment has basically been passed onto someone who could handle it in Camtasia Studio (which handled the raw video with no problems). Going forward, though, I have some concerns.

Is this a common issue with Premiere Elements? As I said at the outset, I'm not a video editor (I'm a writer), but I've been doing a little bit of video editing on the side to help out with a huge backlog. I originally used Camtasia in trial mode, and had no problems. When they jacked up the price from $100 to $300, I went searching for alternatives and landed on APE.

Given my relative inexperience, would I be better served looking for something else? Or is this a rare occurrence that, once I figure out, should be easily avoidable by running problematic videos through Handbrake? The workflow itself seems to be pretty straightforward, so once I'm working with a good video, I see APE as being very capable of what I need it to do.

Long story short, should I look for something more beginner-friendly?

Again, thanks so much helping me tackle this.

• 12. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

robb70678329 wrote:

is this a rare occurrence that, once I figure out, should be easily avoidable by running problematic videos through Handbrake? The workflow itself seems to be pretty straightforward, so once I'm working with a good video, I see APE as being very capable of what I need it to do.

That sounds like a good plan to me.

• 13. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file

I was talking about using lagarith in Camtasia not Vimeo.

• 14. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file

I should also add that the source video was compressed when it was sent to me

You need to ask the client for the original, getting it under Vimeo file size is not the clients job but yours. You need the full resolution/framerate file to edit. Giving you a compressed file is the worst thing they could have done just to make your job impossible. You would not have all those (total unnecessary) weird issues.

These are just guidelines to upload to vimeo. I would do this manually and not using the build in feature.

Compression Guidelines on Vimeo

• 15. Re: Newbie question on corrupted/distorted source file
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

robb

Thanks for your follow up appreciated.

HandBrake has proven a useful program for converting video with certain Premiere Elements problems into a Premiere Elements compatible form. Typically I point a user to it when the original was recorded with a variable frame rate rather than a constant frame rate as in the case of cell phones, iPad, and some screen capture programs. The usual symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. In earlier version of the Premiere Elements, Windows Movie Maker was the go to program for video that had all sorts of problems with Premiere Elements.

I would agree with your consideration

Or is this a rare occurrence that, once I figure out, should be easily avoidable by running problematic videos through Handbrake? The workflow itself seems to be pretty straightforward, so once I'm working with a good video, I see APE as being very capable of what I need it to do.

But, I think one of the keys to moving forward would be to go for the free 30 day tryout of the program before purchase to assure its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals. If you already have Premiere Elements, then explore and experiment as your schedule permits. Principles tend to remain the same from Premiere Elements version to version, but the features do not. Please know that if you have any questions (principles or features related), do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR