12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 12:07 AM by Marcel__

Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors

Chunick Level 3
      There have been a lot of problems with the D11 icon. Apparently, developers have been reporting issues with icon in Hot Fix 3 even though these issues were supposed to have been fixed... but they didn't address or fix other issues that were brought to their attention by myself. Anyways, I had created a utility as a hack-ish fix that could replace the default icon in the .skl file used in publishing a projector... I have since finished developing a utility that will work on a projector. It allows a developer to:

1. Change the Version information in the resource:
      a) Fixed FileVersion and ProductVersion information
      b) String Version Information:
      - Company Name
      - Product Name
      - Product Version
      - Internal Name
      - Legal Copyright
      - Legal Trademarks
      - Original Filename
      - File Description
      - File Version

2. Add a custom icon, including a proper Vista icon in the icon resource.

This file can be downloaded here:
      http://collab.directorforum.com/Resource_and_Icon_Editor

*Note: do not add a custom icon during the publishing process if you're going to use the utility to add your custom icon properly (yes, D11 does mess up your custom icon during publishing).

You can send me an email if you're having problems or have a good/bad comment about the utility: jchunick [at] gmail [dot] com

Josh Chunick
        • 1. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
          isInWorld
          Thank you so much for this handy tool.
          I used to change the icons with Axialis IconWorkshop directly on the projector file. That was the only way it worked.
          My question:
          In a standard projector (hotfix3) there are 9 icons (256x256/32, 48x48/32, 32x32/32, 16x16/32, 48x48/8, 32x32/8, 16x16/8, 32x32/4, 16x16/4) The 48x48/4 is missing. Should it be in the projector or not?

Thanks in advance!
          • 2. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
            Applied CD Level 1
            Thanks Josh.

I just released a D11 project with custom icons inserted into the slk using IconWorkshop (same as above). I included the full set of icons, including the 48x48/4 which wasn’t in the default slk. It seemed to work fine during our testing on XP-SP2 and Vista, is there anything I should be worried about?

Btw… it will be nice not to have to juggle slk’s anymore. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve hit the publish button only to see the wrong icon on the wrong projector. Thanks for the utility.
            • 3. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
              Chunick Level 3
              quote:

Originally posted by: isInWorld
              My question:
              In a standard projector (hotfix3) there are 9 icons (256x256/32, 48x48/32, 32x32/32, 16x16/32, 48x48/8, 32x32/8, 16x16/8, 32x32/4, 16x16/4) The 48x48/4 is missing. Should it be in the projector or not?

I don't know why it wasn't added, however it's not absolutely necessary. The only times the 48x48-4bit image would be used is if you downgraded the colour quality to 4-bit in the Display Properties (which can't be done on LCD monitors, afaik) or booted up in Safe Mode, in which case you likely wouldn't be running a projector, or someone is using an older monitor or version of windows running in 4-bit mode (highly unlikely)... and then it would only use the 48x48 icon if the explorer was set to display icons at that size.
              • 4. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors

This worked great accept I haven't been able to get the custom icon to show up.  I am using an export utility directly in photoshop to export the ico file.  Could this be my problem?  Is there a better utility for turning my graphic into an icon that works specifically with this resource editor. 

I work on mac mostly so I am not familiar with all this jazz. 

Jason

I also tried rebooting to refresh the cached icon in Vista.

• 5. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                  Chunick Level 3

No, a reboot of Vista will not refresh the icon cache in Vista... I actually give instructions within RiEditor on how to rebuild the icon cache in Vista by killing the explorer.exe process and then restarting it... here's the instructions:

"Icon not showing up in Vista? Go to 'Task Manger' and end process on explorer.exe then start it back up again (File --> New Task and type: explorere)."

However, there's an easier way, from the Start --> Start Search input field type this:

cmd

then hit ENTER key.

that will bring up a command line console window... from there type:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe

then hit ENTER key.

then type:

explorer.exe

then hit ENTER key to relaunch windows file manager, explorer.

... and you're done.

I'm going to be adding a clickable button to perform this task in the next dot-release for RiEditor.

• 6. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                    rafa@mediatech Level 1

Thanks man! This is great! Its amazing that developers like you have to go out of your way to solve an issue on the software (and are nice enough to share the fix with the rest of the commnunity), and the Adobe team cant even fix it. I wonder if little things like this is their way of saying "screw you guys!"

Rafa.

• 7. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                      juzerneem1

Hi,

I get the "Unable to load movie playlist. Does the .INI file exist? It must contain a section '[Movies]' with an entry ' Movie01=Pathname.dir'." error when I use the Resource and Icon editor with an Director 11.5 projector on Windows 7 64bit.

The pathname isn't too long (as I have read this could be the source of this message)

It happens only after editing the .exe with the RiEditor, so I assume it deletes/changes more of the executable than it should.

Is Joshua Chunick still active on this forum ?

Can you help me with this ?

• 8. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                        Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

He will no doubt appear eventually. Meantime you might reach him at: jchunick at gmail dot com

• 9. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                          jchunick Level 2

juzerneem1 wrote:

Hi,

I get the "Unable to load movie playlist. Does the .INI file exist? It must contain a section '[Movies]' with an entry ' Movie01=Pathname.dir'." error when I use the Resource and Icon editor with an Director 11.5 projector on Windows 7 64bit.

The pathname isn't too long (as I have read this could be the source of this message)

It happens only after editing the .exe with the RiEditor, so I assume it deletes/changes more of the executable than it should.

Is Joshua Chunick still active on this forum ?

Can you help me with this ?

Hi,

I haven't tested RiEditor yet on Windows 7 64-bit. However, that's a common error which means that the process of adding your new icon or file/version information is failing at a certain point before the data component of your executable gets "glued" back onto the skeleton resource file in the Director folder, projec32.skl, that's used to build your executable when you publish your project.

A Director executable kind of looks like this:

[ skeleton resource file, projec32.skl][ Director data from your project at the time of publishing]

in other words, the code and assets from your project is compiled and glued onto the end of that .skl file at the time of publishing. This is legitimate enough to do with the Portable Executable format to create a standalone, single file executable, but by no means is it normal. In fact, many programs that allow you to alter an executable will strip off the glued data and leave the resource (projec32.skl) part of the file. Some of these are: executable compressors, code signing and resource editors that allow you to edit the file/version information in an executable after compiling.

the projec32.skl file located in the Director folder is really the resource part of an PE file, aka an executable. In fact, you can rename projec32.skl to projec32.exe and launch it, at which point you will see the same error message you are reporting now because the publishing process hasn't added that bit of information (some offset value) telling the skeleton file where the code/data part of the executable starts.

With my editor I'm using Valentin's Shell Xtra to interface with several command line utilities which allow me access to that file/version information and the icon resource. They all will strip the code/data part off the executable, leaving just the resource part. So, I have to beat them to it and strip off the code/data part first and let them do their stuff and then glue it back on again.

Long story short, I'm guessing one of these utilities is throwing an error I'm not trapping and interrupting the process, thus it never really finishes and you're left with the resource skeleton file again. I will have to investigate further, but first I have to see if I can get a hold of a laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.

Josh Chunick

• 10. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                            juzerneem1 Level 1

OK, I understand the glu-ing and stripping but the strange thing is that the the original and the modified .exe are the exact same size (4.687.476 bytes).

So the Director data should be there, it just isn't found.

If there is anything I can do to help you solve this I gladly will, I can send you the original and modified executables if you want ?

Wilbert

• 11. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                              Chunick Level 3
                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

juzerneem1 wrote:

OK, I understand the glu-ing and stripping but the strange thing is that the the original and the modified .exe are the exact same size (4.687.476 bytes).

So the Director data should be there, it just isn't found.

If there is anything I can do to help you solve this I gladly will, I can send you the original and modified executables if you want ?

Wilbert

That is different than what I described.... but I do have some ideas so if you could send me an email with your original and modified executables along with the file/version info and icon file if you were adding that too. My email is jchunick_ [at] _gmail_ [dot] _com.

Edit: I should say, what you are experiencing is different so I would definitely like to look into this further and get it fixed ASAP.

• 12. Re: Resource and Icon Editor Utility for Projectors
                                Marcel__

I am encountering the same error trying to edit the resource of an 11.5.9 projector with RiEditor.  Was a resolution to this issue ever found?  I am on Win7 Pro x64, but I know that on the same machine in the past I used RiEditor successfully on a D11.0 projector, so I doubt the OS version has anything to do with it and rather it's something about 11.5 projectors.  I am publishing a "Shockwave projector".  I also tried editing the same projector with ResHacker and got the same results, and that too used to work fine on D11.0 projectors iirc.

Edit: I was able to use RiEditor on Projec32.skl to work around the issue - not an ideal solution since this means that I have to edit that file directly every time I want to modify the version strings on a new projector but it does the trick for now.