8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 2:38 PM by john beardsworth

How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile

jonb32327351

I synced Lightroom Mobile to my Macbook and it moved them fine, but when I tried to sync with my IMAC it removed them from my Mobile devices.

I would like to know how to restore them to the Cloud and get them back on my IPad.

I believe my trouble began when prompted on the IMAC, I checked the wrong box and wiped out the Catalog on Lightroom Mobile (is this catalog in the Cloud?)

I suspect that if I can restore the Mobile Catalog I will be able to see my pictures and edits on the IPad again.

• 1. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jonb,

Do you have the Images on your Macbook, if yes you can sync it back to the Lightroom Mobile on your android platform.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile
            jonb32327351 Level 1

Yes I do have the images on my Macbook. I've clicked sync but nothing happens? How do I make it sync?  (BTW, my mobile devices are Apple, not Android)

• 3. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

In order to sync to Lightroom mobile from the desktop application, you need to create a collection and then add you images to the collection which you want to sync.

And then do the sync.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 4. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you synced from your iMac, you would have seen a message that tried to warn you that Sync was already connected to another catalogue. So yes, syncing from the iMac would have wiped out anything already uploaded.

So now you need to choose the catalogue that you want to sync to LrMobile. Assuming that's on the MacBook, go to Preferences and choose Delete All Data on the Mobile tab. Then in the Identity Plate set the catalogue to sync. You can now set individual collections to sync.

• 5. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The Sync between the Real LR on a computer and LR Mobile on an iOS or Android device is restricted to one computer LR install and One Catalog on that One computer.

You can Sync up multiple iOS and Android devices but only to one computer and one catalog on that one computer.

• 6. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile

Shootistbond007 wrote:

The Sync between the Real LR on a computer and LR Mobile on an iOS or Android device is restricted to one computer LR install and One Catalog on that One computer.

Better to say one catalogue rather than one computer. It can work if the catalogue is on an external hard drive or Dropbox, though there are other complications, of course.

• 7. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

John in my experience that is not true. I tried copying my catalog from my desktop to my notebook and then syncing with the mobile LR and it did not work.

It disconnected my desktop catalog, which was the exact same catalog file as was now on my notebook, and synced up with the notebook.

Every time the catalog, The Same Catalog, is opened by a different install of LR it get s Different Unique Identifier number which is what LR Mobile is looking for. Doesn't matter whether the catalog is on an external drive or uploaded to one of the Online storage services. Once you open that catalog from a different computer it get a different Unique Identifier number and will not sync up with LR Mobile on both computers.

LR Mobile is not for syncing up catalogs or collection in a catalog with multiple Computer installs of LR. It is for Syncing Collections from One Catalog Unique Identifier on one computer to multiple Mobile devices.

If that has now changed I have not seen any reports of it. My use of LR mobile was back near when it first became available and I haven't used it since.

I have multiple computers and only 1 Mobile device, my Android phone.

• 8. Re: How can I restore photos (or Catalog) to Lightroom Mobile

That's my "there are other complications, of course." But the main point was about one catalogue, not one computer. For example, imagine someone with more than one catalogue.

I move my catalogue onto my laptop when I'm doing a trip, and then resume syncing from the laptop. But it doesn't work as smoothly as it should. I believe that in theory syncing should eventually happen once it's checked a lot of paths, but I think one can speed this up (ie make it look like something is happening) by deleting a hidden cache called sync.lrdata. On Mac it's in User/Library/Cache, while in Windows it's in user/appdata/local/ - at least in Windows 7. You might look at this and see if it resolves your issues.