10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 2:22 PM by ABC_Digital

"Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.

ABC_Digital

The quote above is contained within a purple banner across the preview screen. As the title says, clicked on the "Stabilize" button and it gives me the choices I had before, I reselect my choice and nothing happens.

I keep splitting the clip into smaller and smaller segments to reduce resources required.

Hardware is not weak: I7 x980 3.33GHz, 24 GB RAM, 24 GB page file, 32 GB Readyboost USB 3.0.

I clear the media cache (set to 10 GB) after each attempt, I clear the memory and the file cache from memory after each attempt.

Video segments are from a GoPro camera and I'm attempting to remove the motion from hiking, so there is movement, but nothing dramatic.

Any idea?

ABC

• 1. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ABC_Digital

What version of Premiere Elements (13/13.1?) and what computer operating system?

When are you getting this message...with or without customizing the settings under Detailed?

Do you get the same message for the choice of Quick versus Detailed?

Just in case, point of reference

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/shake-stabilizer.html

Please consider and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
            ABC_Digital Level 1

Yup, as soon as I posted, I realized I had not stated the version.  Premiere Elements 14, the latest with all current updates.  Windows 10 with all updates and optimized.

I'm getting the message within a few minutes after starting the process.  I haven't tried "Quick" on this particular small clip.  With other small clips, PE would freeze with the banner saying "in progress" or words to that effect.  I gave up after several hours and little processor activity.  I've kept reducing the sizes of the clips in order to get shake reduction to work or at least not freeze.  I'm customizing the detailed settings only under Stabilize and I'm selecting "Stabilize, Synthesize Edges."  The rest remain the defaults.

Some clips work well with Quick, some quite long clips (20 minutes or more) of hiking.  Others I tried splitting into quite short segments (<5 minutes) to try to get it to work. And they fail in Quick or Detailed, either nothing happening after hours or it seemed to finish, but not effect observed, especially compared to other successful clips.

Thanks!

ABC

• 3. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ABC

How is your troubleshooting progressing?

I have not run across the "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize" before in Premiere Elements. So, I have been researching it.

I came across an interesting solution for a similar problem in Premiere Pro which I am wondering if we could "borrow". What seemed to work for some is removing any files above or below the video clip which you are trying to stabilize.

Have you tried that? Does that work for you?

Still thinking about this.

ABC

• 4. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Even 5 minutes is too long imo.

You could go into Gopro Studio and convert them to Cineform avi's or mov's and try again.

What resolution are the gopro files?

On a side note stabilize can do wonders it cannot perform miracles.

Not every clip is suited to be stabilized.

• 5. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                  ABC_Digital Level 1

Well, so far, it looks like I'm just asking too much of PE with the resources available.  By splitting the segments into 2 minute bites, or thereabouts, it looks like PE can complete the job.  However, even after clearing the file cache and memory, I then have to render the video to watch the results and that takes forever (literally hours).  But, this does remove so much movement and adds a surreal quality to a hike in Yosemite, it just might be worth it.

I guess I need a Supercomputer or a multi-processor Xeon Workstation with 100 GB RAM and 500 GB SSD.  And, no, I didn't win the lottery.

Thank you, ATR.

• 6. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                    ABC_Digital Level 1

I think you're correct about length of clips too long.  I'm now down to about 2 minutes and it seems to work, but I do have to clean the memory and file cache after each treatment, render, then I can watch the results.  Resolution is high as is the frame rate,  The results are worth it, however, as the realism is eerie and you're right there with me.  Shake reduction is need for the pendulum motion induced in the GoPro by the location of the camera on my backpack.  SR removes it nicely.  That's really all I'm concerned about.

Thank you, Ann.

• 7. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ABC

Thanks for the update. Appreciated.

Did you get the same results with and without content above and below the file being stabilized?

Good troubleshooting implicating the duration of the clip as a factor even when less than 5 minutes. Was the resolution of the clip 1280 x 960 (Fisheye) or 1920 x 1080 or 4K 3840 x 2160? How high is the frame rate? But, if all is same video format from same camera, some work/some do not/ that would point to the degree of shake and the resources need to reduce it.

Would a free ccleaner Mac merit any consideration for optimizing the computer?

CCleaner for Mac - Piriform

How many of these clips do you have to process to get the job done using the conditions that you defined to work for you?

Best wishes. You have done well troubleshooting and defining your situation.

ATR

• 8. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                        ABC_Digital Level 1

Thank you, ATR.  I didn't try that (above/below) as I seemed to be on the right track with smaller and smaller clips.  I also don't see how a prior or subsequent clip would affect shake reduction, unless that is a mechanical way of having memory clean prior to SR.

Clip resolution is high,  1080 HD, 60 fps. The first 10 minute clip worked fine with just "Quick" and that contains mostly the rocking of hiking itself.  I guess the next 10 minute clip contains much more movement and that's what overloading the resources, so smaller clips required, even though I don't really need SR for that motion.  Unfortunately, it is clear when SR ends and natural movement starts, so I need to treat the entire video for continuity of feel and effect.  The entire video is about 75 minutes, so quite a lengthy process. Even after the 2 minute treatment, I must render to view, even after clearing memory.  Then start the next 2 minute segment, render and view.  Still takes over an hour to render each time.

I'm not sure CCleaner would help.  (I have a PC, not a Mac, but I know they make one for PC, too.  I'm an IT geek so I watch like a hawk to see what's processes are running and what is unnecessary.)

As I said to Ann above, very time consuming, but the results are worth it.  The hike comes alive and SR even makes the trees and trail a bit "alive" as it slightly moves sections around to minimize the overall movement.

I guess the original message froze on the screen as there were no more resources to give an error message or some indication of a problem.  Horsepower has never been a problem with this PC until now.  I knew video was resource intense, but had no idea how intense.

Thank you, ATR, for your help and handholding.  Old (very old) hand at computers, experienced Photoshop user, but only a step above neophyte, oops, newbie, with video and PE.

• 9. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ABC

Thanks for the reply. Not sure where I picked up on the idea that you had Mac instead of Windows computer. Sorry about that. If you ever needed free ccleaner for Windows link, it is

CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform

I use the free one only.

Stabilizing a clip typically results in dramatically high Timeline rendering time for the stabilized clip. Are you seeing that for the 2 minutes clips to which you are applying Shake Reduction?

The exciting news is the artistic impact of applying Shake Reduction to your files.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits. You need not reply to questions in this post until then unless you have time.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: "Frames not analyzed for stabilization; click stabilize." Clicked stabilize, nothing happens.
                            ABC_Digital Level 1

Again, thank you, ATR, for the follow-up.

Dramatically increased rendering time?  You betcha, Kemosabe!  Literally hours now after treating a 2 minute clip.  Ram, pagefile and Readyboost usage is up and all 12 (effective) cores are usually maxed out.  I start a render and come back hours later.

I will eagerly respond to any and all comments and suggestions because of all the kind and knowledgeable people helping less-knowledgeable people, such as myself, in the occult and arcane art of video.

Thank you!