10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 6:35 PM by A.T. Romano

Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.

Sparkoparkes

I need to create a vertical 'scrolling credits' page in my movie, but I can't use the standard 'credits' tools, as the wording has to be a certain size, font, colour and style to match other images within the film.   I have created a long, vertical 'page' of the credits in a Publisher programme and I've imported it into my movie's assets.   However, when I try to insert it into my movie, it first appears very small - fitting itself all within the HEIGHT of the screen.   I then have to use the 'Applied Effects > Motion' tool to enlarge it up to fit the WIDTH of the screen, and position it so that the top of the 'page' is visible at the 'start' position.   I've then been using 'fx effects > Vertical Image Pans' to attempt to make it pan down my 'page' so as to make the words appear to scroll upwards.

After three attempts so far, I've been getting (a) very poor resolution lettering,  (b) jerky and erratic scrolling movement, and  (c) not starting or stopping in the right position.   Not only that, it seems to be draining a lot of processing capacity from Adobe Premiere Elements, so that it keeps stalling and I have to keep waiting for every command to settle and take effect before I can hit the next key..!

Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this annoying problem that's holding up my entire project?

• 1. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sparkoparkes

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

What is the project preset that you are setting for Premiere Elements project? Have you (manually) or the project (automatically) been setting the project preset to match the properties of your import.

That would seem to address much of the problems - that is, creating your import to have the same resolution as that of the project setting.

As for applying a roll effect to your credits document created outside the project, are you using fx Effects = Presets and scrolling to the Vertical Image Pans?

Instead, please consider keyframing the Position property found Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and Position property.

Please consider and give more information. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have Photoshop make your credits there and use Motion keyframes in Elements to scroll.

Make your PS document the same size in the width as your project.

• 3. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sparkoparkes

If you need further how to with the troubleshooting suggestions that I have already made in post 1 regarding source sizing/project sizing, and the use of keyframing of Motion Position instead of presets, please do not hesitate to ask. I will post the information in this thread.

If you have Photoshop Elements and you want to explore another program to create your credits page, Photoshop Elements should be considered.

Thank you for exploring the comments and suggestions.

ATR

• 4. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                Sparkoparkes Level 1

Thank you for your interesting, if bewildering, suggestions.

Firstly, although I have purchased Premiere Elements 14 for my new, Windows Ten PC, I am actually doing my project on my older, more familiar, Windows 7 computer, on which is Elements 11.

I am completely self-taught in the use of Premiere Elements - based upon my previous experience using Windows Movie-Maker, and the similarities in use have been striking.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by my 'Preset' for my project?

What I have done is to import an existing, Blu-Ray, HD, 2-hour, silent film from the 1920s - one with 'intertitles' to show speech, etc.   These intertitles were not in English, so I am creating new, English ones that I am applying to the time frame to override and REPLACE the foreign ones.

I have been creating each of these new intertitles using Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Photoshop, and saving as .PNG image files.   Each one is imported into the film as a static image, which I manually position on the Video 2 Timeline, then stretch or reduce to exactly fit over the same number of frames that its original, foreign one occupied.   So far, that has been successful and straightforward.

There are, however, three of these intertitles which are NOT static, but scroll either upwards or downwards.   I have been struggling to find a way to replace the foreign originals with my own, specially-created, English ones.

I do not quite understand what you mean by 'keyframing'?   I have even looked it up on Adobe's website and I'm still rather vague about its precise meaning, though I seem to have succeeded, in part, with the first of the 'scrolling intertitles' by working on instinct alone.  Having said that, the sharpness of the typeface has been compromised on the scrolling images.   Only slightly, I have to say, but I did not want ANY deterioration of sharpness in the fished result.

Your description of how I should go about using these 'keyframes' does not seem to correspond with what I see on my own computer screen and I am left rather baffled and confused, to say the least.   You use a lot of terminology that goes completely over my head, I'm afraid.

Have I explained what I am doing any better to you now?   Do you understand my problem any better?

I'm also finding that Premiere Elements is really misbehaving and not replaying smoothly after this first scrolling section.   Should I 'render' it?   Would that help, or will it still revert to the same jerkiness when I get to the next one?   Rendering a 2-hour movie will take hours of waiting while it does it. 

• 5. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sparkoparkes

Comments made up to now are applicable to Premiere Elements 11 to 14/14.1 so not to worry that you are only now mentioning that you are using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit).

At this point, I have asked for answers from you more than I have told you what to do. Are you working in the Quick workspace or Expert workspace of your program? Before we get into the specifics of your project, allow me to point to where the features are that I referred to in trying to draw information from you on what you were doing and how you were doing it. I was particularly concerned when you wrote

Your description of how I should go about using these 'keyframes' does not seem to correspond with what I see on my own computer screen and I am left rather baffled and confused, to say the least.

Let us focus on this one first

As for applying a roll effect to your credits document created outside the project, are you using fx Effects = Presets and scrolling to the Vertical Image Pans?

Instead, please consider keyframing the Position property found Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and Position property.

fx Effects/Presets/Vertical Image Pans....I am not recommending this, just asking since you mentioned

"I've then been using 'fx effects > Vertical Image Pans' to attempt to make it pan down my 'page' so as to make the words appear to scroll upwards".

Presets-21.jpg

And, the Vertical Image Pans choices that you see after hitting fx Effects/Presets and scroll down to Vertical Image Pans

Pan and Zoom 2.JPG

As for Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Position property there

(keyframing focus)

applied effects.JPG

If you apply an effect to your clip, the effect applies to the whole clip equally.

With the keyframing technique, you can apply that effect and have it vary across the duration of the whole clip.

You can "keyframe" using presets or have more control using features under the Applied Effects.

If you are going to create your own rolling credits, you would vary the position of the text upward or downward by keyframing the Position property of the clip.

Please consider and let me know if the above is understood.

Thank you. We want you to succeed. In the morning morning I will get into your workflow specifics as you described in post 4

ATR

• 6. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                    Sparkoparkes Level 1

Hello A.T.Romano.Thank you for patiently trying to help me through this, though I am seriously despairing now that it is ever going to be possible to get this (apparently) simple effect to look even remotely good enough.   I always thought Adobe Premiere was the best movie editor you could get - so why am I struggling so hard, with such poor results still?Yes, I am using Windows 7 and Premiere Elements 11 and it's 64 bit.I am working in Expert workspace.After what you told me before, I am NOT trying to use the fx Effects/Presets/Vertical Image Pans anymore.  It was obvious they were not going to give me the desired result.I was trying to do it using the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel, but your words: "Expanded and Position Property" left me wondering what you meant?I tried clicking on this, third link you gave me, but got annoyed to find a totally non-specific menu page came up, that led me nowhere.   So, instead of clicking on it, I copied and pasted it into my browser's address panel, and then it showed me the screen you wanted me to use, except my Premier would not show the part with the words "Animate by adding keyframes to parameters and changing them over time" - so, again I started getting angry as to why your screen was different to mine.Then, by chance, I clicked on the tiny arrows in the top, right corner of the Effects panel and it expanded out to show those missing words and made it look like the screen shown in your link.I then STILL didn't know what I was supposed to do next!   All those strange numbers and slider controls..??   And what was that new panel for on the right side of the Effects panel?   What was I supposed to DO?So, again, I just stabbed at it in the dark, not really knowing what I was doing and trying to work by guesswork and instinct.   I'd already imported my newly-created second, scrolling, long, thin title page into my movie and dropped it into position on the Video 2 timeline.   I positioned the (cursor?)(position pointer?)(slider?) at the beginning of the scrolling clip and clicked on the screen with my mouse, which created a white outline around it (is this the "keyframe"?).   I then manually expanded and enlarged it with my mouse cursor up to the correct width on the movie screen.   I then positioned it at the bottom of the scroll, where the wording begins to move downwards.   I did not know if I was supposed to set anything else at this point to 'fix' this as the start point, so I just left it at that.I then slid the (cursor?) along the timeline to the end of the scrolling clip.   Then I manually moved the (image?)(property)(long, thin title page?) downwards until I got to the top of it, where the last of the words had scrolled down just off the edge of the screen.   Again, I did not know if I had to click on anything else to 'fix' its end position, so I left it at that.I then tried to play the clip on Premiere, but it was clumsy, jerky and the lettering was very ill-defined after I'd enlarged it up from its original, tiny size (fitted into the HEIGHT of the screen, even though it was a very large image outside of AP when I created it, and the words were crisp and clear then.So I 'rendered' the clip.   This made it play smoothly, scrolling correctly, but the lettering is still unacceptably rough and indistinct, as though I have enlarged a very poor, tiny original.WHY can't I get a better result than this?   DAYS I have wasted on this - why is it so difficult???

• 7. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its all guesswork here. What you need to do is upload a short clip so we can see what it is you actually want done.

(a picture says more than a thousand words)

In Premiere Pro you can do nearly everything. Elements is limited but with a bit of improve you get a long way.

You can use Wetransfer, upload the clip to yourself and post the download link from the email here on the forum.

• 8. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Sparkoparkes

Thanks for the reply. Do not despair. Creating a rolling credit on your own without preset is very doable in Premiere Elements.  And, it sounds like you may be deeper into this than you know and may be not seeing the forest for the trees. But, wherever you do the project, the removal or hiding of the existing rolling titles may not be possible.

Want to give it a try? You spelled out what you want to do when you wrote

I have been creating each of these new intertitles using Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Photoshop, and saving as .PNG image files.   Each one is imported into the film as a static image, which I manually position on the Video 2 Timeline, then stretch or reduce to exactly fit over the same number of frames that its original, foreign one occupied.   So far, that has been successful and straightforward.

There are, however, three of these intertitles which are NOT static, but scroll either upwards or downwards.   I have been struggling to find a way to replace the foreign originals with my own, specially-created, English ones.

So, we will go forward with those guidelines.

This appears to be a two phase operation....getting rid of the existing rolling credits and replacing them with your own.

Making your rolling credits page for a Premiere Elements 1920 x 1080 project....

You are in Photoshop Editor, you go to File Menu/New/ and the New dialog and set Preset = Film & Video, Size - HDTV 1080p/29.97; and Background Color = Transparent..and then see the following..

New.JPG

Click OK to get into the Photoshop Editor to create your Credits page.

When it is finished and saved as psd, it should appear as your text in English on a Transparent Background.

Is the above what you have been doing so far?

Now to Premiere Elements with its 1920 x 1080 project settings and keyframing the Motion Position property so that the text starts from bottom off screen and exits from top off screen/

1. Select the credits page file on the Timeline.

2. Go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded to see its Position property.

3. Click on the monitor screen to bring up the bounding box for the credits page image.Drag the credit page down to the point where the top of it is just no longer seen in the bottom of the monitor screen.

4. Click the Toggle Animation button - once only.

5. At the Timeline level, move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the credits page clip. With the mouse cursor, drag the credit page displaying in the monitor upward so that its bottom is just no longer seen in the top of the monitor screen.

7. Then Render the Timeline content by pressing the Enter key of the computer keyboard.

There are techniques for refining the movement of the Position changes - right clicking the keyframe and selecting one of the interpolation methods (Bezier). We could even add some manual keyframes to get the credit page to stop in the middle and then move on to exiting at the top.

But, are we together on that above so far? Have you been there and done all this before and the results were not good enough? Or, have you not done this before? The following is a "map" of what I have mentioned above when we got to Premiere Elements.

keyframelocations copy.jpg

Please review all. Let me know when we are together with the details and when we are not.

The real battle is getting rid of the existing credits in the other language. One solution might be to have the credits in two languages? More on that next time.

Thank you for exploring the comments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                          Sparkoparkes Level 1

Hello A.T. Romano.Let me reassure you that your fears about my not being able to hide or remove the existing, foreign rolling titles is unnecessary.   It may be because the new intertitles I have been creating are white lettering on a solid BLACK background, but I found very early on in my experiments that when they were placed in position on the Video 2 timeline, they automatically over-rode and REPLACED the existing, foreign ones in the Video 1 timeline below, without my having to clip them out and remove them.  I have just verified that for certain, by test-publishing a finished movie of the first three minutes of footage, that contains more titles than original action, and all is as I wanted it... the original, foreign titles have all been replaced by my English versions.

So you are incorrect when you suppose it is a two-phase operation.   I DON'T have to remove the original, foreign ones at all.   The new, English ones simply cover them over and automatically replace them.   That is a real, time-saving bonus for me to have discovered that!   I had originally believed I would have to carefully place my English ones directly above the original ones, then, one by one, delete each foreign one then drop the English one into its newly-vacated gap.   An extra, time-consuming task I DON'T have to do, thank goodness!

Your description of how you thought I would be creating my static intertitles in Photoshop is wrong, also.  I don't know if you are at all familiar with Microsoft Publisher?   It is the best software I know to create 'pages' containing any mixture of graphic images and type-matter.   I can create my intertitles on there exactly how I want them to look far easier than I know how to using something like Photoshop Elements alone.   And - it works very well!

This may sound strange and 'fiddly' to you, but this is the way I get my titles exactly how I want them to look:

In Microsoft Publisher, I open a blank page, size A3 landscape.I place on this a 'picture' that I have pre-saved, that is simply a plain, black rectangle exactly in proportion to a standard film & video screen.  It is slightly shorter than the A3 landscape page, and leaves a white area at each end, but this doesn't matter at this stage.

I then create a 'text box' on the black area and type-in the wording I want, in white, centered, at 72pt size (the biggest available) in the special font I'm using.   These usually occupy three to four lines of type on the 'page'.

I then file>save the whole thing as a .png image file (I get a much crisper image with PNG rather than a JPEG).

Next, I call-in the PNG I have just saved and place it back onto the 'page' as a picture file, as opposed to the original text-box, which could not be sufficiently adjusted for size (the type is too big at 72pt and too small at 48pt (the next available size down).  I can now drag the corners of this 'picture' of typematter to infinitely adjust its size until it conforms with my already-established template.  The original text-box type behind this 'picture' layer is usually hidden from view at this stage - if any of it shows, I just delete it.   The white bits at each side of the 'picture' are easily cropped off.

When the type is correctly positioned on the black 'screen', I file>save as a .png once again, replacing the original saved version.

I then open Photoshop Elements, where I call in the PNG file I just re-saved, and crop-off the new white bits from each side once again.  That is all I need Photoshop for.

I the re-save it as a PNG for the third time, replacing the previous save.

It is now ready to be imported into my movie and I know it is big enough to stay crisp and clear in the finished film, because I have tested it.

Rolling Credits, now, are a different matter.   But - I have just read through all that you have said I should do, and it appears that I have already done all that!  So - I have just test-published the first 5 minutes 55 seconds of my project as a finished film and it seems to have worked out fine!   Even though the lettering on the rolling credits looks really rough when played directly from the timeline in Premiere, in the finished film it looks quite passable!   Not as crisp as in the static intertitles, but easily clear enough - so Thank You A.T.Romano!   Your guidance has helped me to achieve what I set out to do!I hope, in return, I have given you some ideas as to what excellent effects can be achieved by using Microsoft Publisher for mainly static graphic images (It continually surprises me how few people ever use Publisher at all - it really is so useful for so many things outside the world of movies as well!).

I think we are now done!   There is no 'battle' to get rid of the original, foreign intertitles, as my method automatically over-rides them, as I explained above.

Thanks once again for your very kind help!

Best Regards,

Steve Parkes.

• 10. Re: Specialized, customized vertical scrolling image problems.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve Parkes

Many thanks for taking the time to share your workflow details for gaining your intertitles for your project. Very interesting. I do have Microsoft Publisher on my computer, but it has remained unopened since it was installed with the other Microsoft programs. Your comments about it have encouraged me to explore its uses.

Although Premiere Elements Timeline rendering is intended to give the user the best possible preview in the Edit area, the export playback can be superior to it (as you found out).

Your own stick-to-tive-ness and creativity got you through. Well done.

Best wishes

ATR