2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 3:06 PM by thedigitaldog

AWB on linear DNG but not on TIF files

joachims25232702 Level 1

I noticed that I can do an AWB in LR CC2015 on linear DNG files. Those linear DNGs are written back from DXO. I understand that they are demosaiced files with 16bit per color channels. So I believe they are very similar to 16 bit TIF files. Yet, I can not do AWB on those TIFs. Why is that? Would there be a way to convert TIF files into linear DNG files? Or is the AWB for linear DNG not well defined and should I better avoid that?

• 1. Re: AWB on linear DNG but not on TIF files
          Rikk-Flohr Adobe Community Professional

Tiff files have already had a white balance applied.  That color change that resulted has been "baked in" to the pixels.  They are irrevocably changed and the WB can no longer be altered like it can with a Raw file.

Auto White Balance depends upon evaluating an image and determining a White Balance value from the original raw data.

• 2. Re: AWB on linear DNG but not on TIF files
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

joachims25232702 wrote:

I noticed that I can do an AWB in LR CC2015 on linear DNG files. Those linear DNGs are written back from DXO. I understand that they are demosaiced files with 16bit per color channels. So I believe they are very similar to 16 bit TIF files.`

They are partially rendered and still a bit on the raw side (no WB set). So no, it's not the same as a TIFF and that's why you can WB on those DNG's but not a truly rendered TIFF who's WB has been baked in already.