5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 1:32 PM by rob day

RGB placed objects - print K only

calebp32525708

I am a bit new to InDesign.

I have a book, made by others, that has some black and white RGB images placed through out that are printing out as "Rich Black".  I'd like to figure out how to tell InDesign to print them (individually or as a whole) to NOT use Rich Blacks for them, but just use K.

The only thing color in the publications is the cover. When we print the books inhouse, we are charged color clicks for all internal pages as well as the cover at a far higher rate than it would if we printed just B&W internal pages (.08cents for color, .002 for b&w). It's not a huge cost delta, but it sure adds up when you are printing hundreds and hundreds of books.

So I'm trying to learn how I can take an RGB object that was from Photoshop and place it in my InDesign file to use the K-channel only for the photoshop objects.

A lot of the pubs I work on were existing pubs created by those who came before me. The pubs have png files, PSD files embedded here and there. It's all these objects that visually appear as greyscale. yet when i use the Output Preview to view the color separations and uncheck the K, all the photos are showing as rich black (unchecking C, M, Y makes them disappear from the preview).

So I'd like to go through each of the pubs I have and ensure the grascale photos are all set to use just K.

• 1. Re: RGB placed objects - print K only
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could export as a greyscale PDF, then export just the cover as a 4 color pdf.

Then remove the grey cover from the main file, and add in the color one.

Now you can may your in-house prints from the PDF, and I imagine it will work properly.

• 2. Re: RGB placed objects - print K only
            calebp32525708 Level 1

Hi SJRiegel:

That is in fact what I've been doing. I use preflight from Adobe to convert to greyscale, then take the color covers from a separate PDF and add them to the greyscale PDF.

One would think the ability to set an object to use K only (like it does with black text) would be a simple thing.

I just don't understand why it's taking grayscale PSD files and using Rich Black instead of just K. If cost wasn't a factor, I'd forget about it. but to print a color page on our printer is several factors higher than a K-only print.

• 3. Re: RGB placed objects - print K only
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If they are created RGB, then they aren't greyscale.

The reason they can't be color-converted like text is that they are links, so they take their color from the original files.

Maybe you could open them in Photoshop and Batch-Convert them to Greyscale.

• 4. Re: RGB placed objects - print K only
                calebp32525708 Level 1

OK. So a little research shows these are PNG files with no embedded colorspace. It shows up as rich grey.

I created a new grayscale photoshop file, placed a png file, then placed the PSD file into Indesign. This shows up now only on K, where just the placed PNG files show up as Rich Blacks.

A part of the mystery is solved anyways.

I think it'll be far easier to just continue to convert the way I have been using Acrobat Pro preflight.

Was just hoping it was as simple as right-click on photo, choose plate (K).

• 5. Re: RGB placed objects - print K only
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I created a new grayscale photoshop file, placed a png file, then placed the PSD file into Indesign. This shows up now only on K, where just the placed PNG files show up as Rich Blacks.

It's not the file format that matters, it's the color mode. PNGs can be grayscale so you don't have to place the PNG in a Photoshop file, just open it and set the mode to Grayscale and save. Should be easy to batch with an PS action.