9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 9:38 PM by bytefright

Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?

bytefright

I'm a beginner, learning the basics with Premiere Elements 10. I've started with what I thought was the simplest - an Instant Movie, which looks fine in the Clip Monitor but won't burn sound, effects or intro/finish titles. I'm using  a Lenovo all in one, OP WIN8.1, 12 GB RAM, GEForce820A. To keep it simple, I imported  from Organiser only still images, previously edited to sort out orientation problems. I selected the ones I wanted in the movie, clicked Instant Movie, chose Theme, chose the customised preferences. PrE did its thing, the Instant Movie folder appeared. I played it in the Cllip Monitor: intro, sound, effects etc all good. I then clicked on Share and the burn disk option, popped a new DVDR disk in my disk burner and watched the process continue, apparently as it should but when I played the newly burned disk, I didn't have an Instant Movie but a slideshow. All the Instant Movie package had been dumped, leaving just still images. I went through the process several times, burned the Instant Movie folder to file then used other burner software to create the disk - same result, slideshow, no movie. Also got the same result when I shared it to a website, using the Instant Movie function. I've googled and read Adobe FAQs on Instant Movies - they discuss the Instant Movie process but not a mention of this problem. So why is my Instant Move package being dumped leaving me with nothing but a slideshow? Is it because I didn't include any videos, only used still images. However, I haven't found any mention of this being a problem. Any help would be much appreciated, bytefright

• 1. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bytefright

Premiere Elements 10 on a computer with a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card.

That is with 99% certainty the cause of your problems or the major contributor to it.

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date? If so, that is the worst case, since the remedy for the known Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue is to roll back the driver version to May 2013.

Details can be found in the following link.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

Also, do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 10?

Is your computer on an automatic video card/graphics card driver version update program? When was the last time Premiere Elements 10 worked for you in that computer with that video card/graphics card?

Please consider, and give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
            bytefright Level 1

Morning ATR, thanks for your response. I spent some time yesterday following your advice. To answer your last question first: this is a new computer, it's the first time I've used it with PE10, so there are no comparisons I can make. Quicktime 7 is up to date and the drivers have an automatic update. I have two drivers - an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and the NVIDAGeForce 820A. I was very unsure how to go about the process of rolling back the GeForce Driver because my update history didn't go that far back. I went to the download page; I couldn't find an 820A but got a driver as close to the one I had  (8 series, 8200 model), downloaded it; uninstalled the existing one; started the installation of the new one (331.58, Oct 2013). It got most of the way through install than stopped with the message: NVIDA installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." Now I don't have a graphics card or the rollback. Suggestions? Thanks, bytefright

• 3. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

bytefright

Thanks for the update.

Is there anyway you can disable the NVIDIA GeForce 820A and just go with the up to date Intel HD Graphics 4600?

Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce is essentially a no go these days because the old NVIDIA drivers that do exist are not old enough.

And, if it you have a new computer, I am not seeing where we could take advantage of the old driver still on the computer perk. The known specific Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue is further complicated by the fact that Premiere Elements typically has problems with computers that use more than one video card/graphics card.

Please determine if you can get Premiere Elements 10 and your other needed applications to work for you with just an up to date Intel HD Graphics 4600. Under other circumstances, I would suggest that you contact NVIDIA to ask for help configuring your NVIDIA GeForce to work for you.

Please review and consider and then let me know if the above suggestion works.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
                bytefright Level 1

Hi ATR, sorry for the long delay. I've only just got my computer back from the shop where it ended up after freezing, stopping and generally having a nuclear melt down. I think my problem is that I just don't ask enough questions. When I was attempting to rollback the NVIDIA driver, before I did the uninstall, one of the options was to disable. I nearly questioned you about doing that then I thought, no, you'd advised me to do a rollback and given me a link so I could get the context etc. So I went ahead with the attempted rollback and that was only the beginning of my problems. It didn't work, as you know, and at that point I didn't have the ability to disable because the computer couldn't find the graphic card at all. I knew it had a physical existence but the Device Manager couldn't find it, nor did the auto update do anything when I did a restart.  I'd put a System Restore point in before I fiddled with the NVIDIA driver, so I thought, I'll restore my system to that point and my driver card should be back in place. Tried it but the System Restore was incomplete (??why??) and the only option the System Restore dialogue box gave me was to Undo the Restore. Did that. I thought perhaps I just hadn't rolled it back far enough so did another restore, this time to 10 days before all this started. The result was much, much worse: couldn't start it, when it started couldn't get past the log in page; when I got past the log in page nothing but freezes, which meant I had to turn the computer off at the wall which in turn messed around with the following start ups. So I gave up and spent a couple hundred dollars getting it fixed and updated to Win 10. As I've said, I've only just got it back and I'm so frustrated I can't even think about anything digital. When I get over my snit, I'll have another go at disabling the graphic card and I'll get back to you. Cheers, bytefright

• 5. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bytefright

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not that all was well.

Now that the computer has been repaired and before disabling cards or doing anything else, please determine if the Premiere Elements problems still exist (if you have not already).

This will give us a new baseline for troubleshooting.

Did the computer shop detail just what repairs were made to the computer? That would be important information if the Premiere Elements problem is now gone. Do you know if Premiere Elements has been uninstalled and reinstalled by the computer shop? Are you still with a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card?

Thanks. Do not give up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
                    bytefright Level 1

Hi ATR, Thanks for the moral support. Can you tell me whether it’s normal to have so many problems? I can’t stop worrying whether it’s me. I don’t know much about computers but I try to find out and follow the steps suggested and still I run – smack – into another brick wall. Enough whingeing. The computer guy and I discussed the time it’d take to try and resolve all the issues I had and decided it would be too expensive. Better just to do a wipe and clean install of WIN 10. I'm assuming that meant a reinstall of PE10. He did say he thought it highly unlikely that the NVIDIA graphic card was causing the problem with PE10 but, at the same time, admitted he was not too familiar with the program. So I think we can dismiss his criticism. I’ve just tried burning the same Instant Movie with the newly reinstalled NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card and the same problem exists. I’m asking the question now that I should have earlier – if I disable the graphics card, will it be a problem enabling it again? Once bitten etc. Also, (this is a question not related to this forum), can you think of any reason why a Restore wouldn’t work? Thanks, bytefright.

• 7. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bytefright

The problems will downgrade to challenges which you will meet and conquer. Do not get discouraged.

Based on history, I have not found Premiere Elements 10 to run on a computer with an up to date NVIDIA GeForce card. So, please have your computer guy read the history on Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA GeForce to make him a believer and maybe help us navigate through your computer video card/graphics card contribution to your Premiere Elements/computer issues. What he might have meant was that you had multiple problems and one of those multiple problems was not related to Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce which was still another problem to contend with?

No guarantees on disabling enabling the video card/graphic card(s). Can you get your computer guy to give you an assist with that? Where did you disable/enable the video card/graphics card before?

Do you feel confident that you are following the Instant Movie workflow...setting up the choice for music and the rest?

Have we discussed you (for troubleshooting purposes only) downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 14/14.1 (latest version) in order to determine if the Instant Movie issue continues into it? That would be a win win situation whose results should point to the program or the computer.

Need to call it a day. I will revisit your thread in the morning to determine further troubleshooting strategy.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
                        bytefright Level 1

Hi ATR, another delay because another computer malfunction. I’ve just got it back and it seems to be fine (fingers crossed). Good news though – a win/win: at your suggestion I downloaded the trial PE14, jumped through all the hoops and the new Instant Movie BURNED to the DISK (hurrah). So the most recent version of PE works with my graphic cards. But I wanted to avoid the cost of having to upgrade so I tried a few more things with PE10. I opened the Nvidia Control Panel, (found the info at http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-Optimus-Review.25467.0.html), added Premiere Elements 10, ticked the box that allowed the controller to choose between the integrated or dedicated graphics cards as the most appropriate card for the program then tried burning the movie again – didn’t work. Last effort – I disenabled the Nvidia card and tried burning again – also didn’t work. So the upshot is – no matter what I do with the graphics card (auto select, disenable), PE10 will not work with my computer (Lenovo B50-30) to burn or upload an Instant Movie package, it will only burn a slideshow. PE14 does (except it brands every scene with a “This is a Trial Version” trailer). Looks like I’ll be upgrading unless you have another suggestion? Thanks for your help and support, bytefright

• 9. Re: Why does my PrE Instant Movie have no sound or effects?
                          bytefright Level 1

Hi ATR, haven't heard from you so I thought I'd give you an update. From my previous, you'll see that even when I disenabled the Nvidia card, PrE10 still wouldn't burn or upload the whole Instant Movie package, just the slideshow. So it looks as though the graphic card is not the problem. However, when I used the trial version of PrE14, the movie burned successfully. I don't know what that tells us but I'd had enough of banging into brick walls so I upgraded to Prem Elements 14 and Photoshop 14. So my little movie making enterprise has come to a grinding halt as I'm confronted with bigger, better, even less known software. I also had an old hard drive tower unit upgraded so I could use it for scratchdisks but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Could you describe how to set up my current computer with a second computer, monitor and keyboard? It's all just sitting there looking at me, still in boxes, and I'd really appreciate some guidance in setting up an efficient work flow. Thanks for the feedback so far, it's been very encouraging and helpful, bytefright