4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 8:47 AM by Szalam

keylight causing crash in AE CC 2015 (13.6.1)

zanderp67613781

Hello everyone,

I am using the most up to date version of after effects cc, 13.6.1

When using keylight my computer keeps on crashing when I am scrolling over the footage, sampling the key color by holding down the alt button. A text box comes up saying, "Adobe After Effects CC 2015.1 has stopped working" it searches a few seconds for a solution but cannot find any and I have to click a close program button. Mostly this happens after I have been moving around AE for a couple of minutes and have sampled colors and played around with white and black clipping.

I am running windows 10, 64bit professional

intel i7 5930k

zotac geforce gtx 760

32 gb ram

samsung 250gb ssd to run windows 10 and programs

samsung 500gb ssd for cache

lacie external 1tb for project files and footage

this is the error log:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          1/20/2016 5:24:21 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      DESKTOP-JHK3RCA

Description:

Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 13.6.1.6, time stamp: 0x566a97aa

Faulting module name: EMUL.dll, version: 13.6.1.6, time stamp: 0x566a7d1b

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000001973d

Faulting process id: 0x47c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d153d0d3712a12

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\EMUL.dll

Report Id: 12eeea1b-f448-413e-a0e7-e7e08b40634b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-20T22:24:21.008971500Z" />

<EventRecordID>1913</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-JHK3RCA</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>AfterFX.exe</Data>

<Data>13.6.1.6</Data>

<Data>566a97aa</Data>

<Data>EMUL.dll</Data>

<Data>13.6.1.6</Data>

<Data>566a7d1b</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>000000000001973d</Data>

<Data>47c</Data>

<Data>01d153d0d3712a12</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\AfterFX.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\EMUL.dll</Data>

<Data>12eeea1b-f448-413e-a0e7-e7e08b40634b</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

the footage is 4k, coming straight out of the camera as .mov files. I tried switching to CC 2014 but the same thing happens. I deleted the program and ran the creative cloud cleaner tool, re downloaded the program but still the same crash when using keylight. I have a feeling it has to do with maybe my drivers, I ran a driver update check via windows and it said all were up to date but I went in and manually checked individual drivers and some were not up to date.

this is my first computer build, im just coming over to PC from apple so this is all very new. I would appreciate any help!

-Zander

• 1. Re: keylight causing crash in AE CC 2015 (13.6.1)
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a rather old video card. Was this machine upgraded to Windows 10 from something else? I seem to recall computers that upgraded to Windows 10 tended to have issues with their graphics driver. Microsoft and NVIDIA were kind of fighting over what driver to use. So, you might look into that.

What codec is your video footage encoded in? Many consumer and prosumer cameras record in very highly compressed codecs and AE prefers a less compressed intermediate file. You might try transcoding that footage into QuickTIme with the PNG codec or something.

• 2. Re: keylight causing crash in AE CC 2015 (13.6.1)
            zanderp67613781 Level 1

Hey Szalam thanks for the reply. The computer is a new build so windows 10 is all it knows. I will look into the driver for the video card.

The codec for the footage is IPB.

I am trying to transcode the footage to PNG but am running into a different issue. My CPU is only running at 50% and sometimes less. I am rendering out of AE 2014 to use the render multiple frames function. I have played around with those settings, leaving 10gb of ram for other applications, 2 cpus for other applications, allocating 3gb for background cpu and then having 7 actual cpus used. Often it will start rendering with the CPU running near 100% but then drop down to 50, sometimes after a few seconds or after maybe 5 minutes.

the result is really long render times thats kinda getting in the way of transcoding to figure out the original issue.

I tried media encoder but that only used around 10% of cpu with longer render times.

I really appreciate your help, thanks so much.

• 3. Re: keylight causing crash in AE CC 2015 (13.6.1)
              zanderp67613781 Level 1

correction

*only leaving 5gb of ram for other applications

• 4. Re: keylight causing crash in AE CC 2015 (13.6.1)
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hopefully changing the driver for your GPU will help. I don't know enough about AE's internals to read your crash log in enough detail to pinpoint the problem.

Let me explain why I suggested transcoding to a proper intermediate format.

IPB is an h.264 codec in a mov wrapper that uses bidirectional interframe compression.

What does that mean? Well, it means that not all frames are kept intact. Instead, one key frame per every half second or so is kept in full. For all of the other frames between those key frames, the compression system just maintains the visible changes and uses the previous and next key frames to guess what the missing data is. (This is also how data moshing works, by the way. You can remove certain key frames and/or use the motion data from other videos to smoosh your video into really glitchy and cool things, but that's neither here nor there.)

Interframe compression like IPB is problematic for software like AE. After Effects, Flame, Fusion, Nuke -- they are all pixel based image processing applications that act very much like Photoshop. They calculate the values of every pixel in every frame, come up with a new pixel, and then play those pixels back. More importantly, AE and all the other pixel based compositing apps, always work internally with completely uncompressed pixel data. IPB only has full data every fifteen frames or so (depending on your frame rate). So that means, when you move your current time indicator to a specific point in time, AE has to look several frames in both directions (bidirectional) to try to rebuild that frame's image.

Recent versions of AE have improved immensely in how they deal with interframe compression, but there are still occasional issues. Transcoding to an uncompressed (or intraframe compressed) codec helps to eliminate some of the processing (and threading) overhead that can cause issues.

I usually use the Adobe Media Encoder to do any transcoding I need to do.