11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 2:29 PM by Chetna Srivastava

Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015

Crusadercan

Photoshop edits are not are displayed within Lightroom.  This problem remains unanswered elsewhere in this community so I won't bother restating it.  I have been trying to resolve this issue since LRCC and PS CC 2015 were released.  I have left a similar question on other posts all of which remain unresolved (even after the suggestions by qualified staff).  Hey, I wasn't born yesterday and I have been working with both programs since their initial iterations. But now - my workflow has been significantly disrupted and I am getting pissed that this remains a mystery.  I am dismayed that this has not been addressed properly by the developers. Why?

• 1. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Crusadercan,

Apologies for the trouble and for missing out your posts so far.

We understand your concern and would be glad to help you however, we would need some more information from your end to assist you further.

Could you please share your complete workflow steps?
          I believe you choose edit in Photoshop from Lightroom, perform your edits and save it to return back to Lightroom.

Does the Photoshop edited image not appear in Lightroom library?
          Or, does it appear as original and the edits are not there?

Also, are both the programs updated to the latest version?

Is it happening with specific file or file format or all?

Which operating system do you have : Windows or mac?

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015
            Crusadercan Level 1

Hi Chetna, thank you for your quick reply.

I'm a professional photographer. My workflow goes as follows: Import pictures from camera cards into LR for initial culling.  All metadata including keywords is added on import.  I do initial edits in LR (same as ACR) and when needed I edit in PS.  My goto PS workflow is conversion to smart object, make edits and Save (not Save as...)  Since I publish my images, the final step is to add a 'signature' layer from sampled colours of the image and then save back to LR.  The LR signature plate is too rudimentary for this task. I save layered tiff or psd files and when I edit to PS I select the 'edit a copy with LR adjustments. I am confronted with a grey or black image display when I return to LR regardless of saved .psd or .tiff..  I have used Nik, photomatix, and other plug-ins in my current PS LR config and they all return the edited image as discussed..

In my troubleshooting steps I noted that the images are saved back to the folder (examined through the finder) ending with TIFF or PSD.  Despite it being visible in the actual folder it still doesn't show in LR.  I have also tried all the recommendations by other moderators/technicians relating to this issue, such as turning off my graphics card, stack with original image etc..

In terms of technical details:

I use a MacBook Pro, running El Capitan v 10.11.2 on a 2. GHz Intel Core i7 and 16 GB ram.  I have the bult-in NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB.

I work exclusively in RAW initial imported as .NEF;

My images are 16 bit;

Color space is Adobe RGB 1988;

While LR is forcing DNG, I have encountered this same situation before.

I'm using LR 2015.3 release and ACR 9.3

I'm using PS CC 2015.1.1 release

I had used previous iterations from PS 3 and LR2 and up and have never encountered this situation.

I am at a complete loss on how to resolve this issue and has thus been a big sore point.

• 3. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015

Thank you for the great explanation and the steps you have tried so far.

You mentioned that "I am confronted with a grey or black image display when I return to LR"

Does that mean there is an exclamation mark on that image signifying it as missing?

Seems like Lightroom is not able to read the file after final edits in Photoshop.

Where are your original images stored ? On the external drive or an internal drive?

Was that drive name changed recently by any chance?

You might want to check if the location where your original images are saved has full read and write permissions.

• 4. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015
                Crusadercan Level 1

Hello Chetna,

I just went through two test scenarios, the first was to edit a NEF in PS, selected 'save', returned to LR, the image is there, but my edit is not visible.  Next I opened the same NEF, did some edits and saved it as layered .tiff and .psd and I was presented a black screen in LR, even with the left and right columns hidden (using TAB). No exclamation points nor any other indicator is visible.

All my original images are stored on an external drive, dedicated solely for this purpose.  The LR recommendations for image management are followed. File management is done through LR not through Apple Finder (for moving, copying, duplication  of files etc).  Drive name, nor the 'Pictures' folder on my external drive have not been modified and all permissions are ok.

I reiterate that all plugins work as expected, returning the edits back to LR are visible.  Perhaps a clue?

• 5. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015

That seems odd.

Would suggest you to reset preferences for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Refer this article for Lightroom : Resetting (or 'Trashing') the Lightroom Preferences file - Lightroom Forums

*do not delete the preferences file, instead rename it to old or drag it to some other location like desktop so that you have a backup copy of the old preferences

Refer this article for Photoshop : Preferences in Photoshop

Also, I would suggest you to disable NIK plugin for test purposes as I have seen similar issues when NIK plugin is used as an external editor.

• 6. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015
                    Crusadercan Level 1

Hello Chetna,

I have done everything you suggested and I still have the same problem.  A new clue: I noted that the file sent to PS was returned with a modification of the filename.  Eg.:

File name:  sent to PS from LR: D810 30072015-14.NEF.  Returned to LR D810 30072015-14-2.psd or .tiff.  So the amended file name and extension is not accepted or recognized by LR.

Could this e the source of the problem?

• 7. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015

That modification is expected.

It does add "-2" or "-edit" depending upon the External Editor Preferences.

For the test purposes, create a new catalog> import a couple of images > follow the same workflow and check if the Photoshop edits show up.

• 8. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015
                        Crusadercan Level 1

As instructed, but this time I have two grey images from the edit (tried twice).  They are not stacked with the original despite it being applied in the preferences.

• 9. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015

Thanks for trying everything so far.

Lets try to reinstall Photoshop CC2015 once.

• 10. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015
                            Crusadercan Level 1

already done, all plugins removed, preferences and associated files have been removed for the clean install to work.  The previous result was with the clean install.  I haven't for Lightroom though.

• 11. Re: Edits not displayed in Lightroom CC after PS CC 2015

I have sent you a PM for further assistance.