3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 9:54 PM by A.T. Romano

how do i set a default location for text?

Daniel Westlund

I am adding text to a video to be used as subtitles.  I would like it when I hit "add text" for the text to be in the same location every time, which is at the bottom of the screen.  Instead the text starts at the middle of the screen.

thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: how do i set a default location for text?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

When you open the Premiere Elements Editor Titler to create your text file, you cannot set a default location nor change the text "Add Text" that greets you.

You position the text as part of creating the text in the Titler. Example, click on the Selection Tool in the Text section of the Titler, with the mouse cursor click on the text to select it, with the mouse cursor drag the selection to the bottom of the frame (but still within the Safety Margins for text).

You can set for a default text font and size and some other properties for that new default.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/creating-trimming-titles.html

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: how do i set a default location for text?
            Daniel Westlund Level 1

ATR,

I am on elements 14, and windows 10.  I am able to place and move the text, but it would save me time if I could move the default location of the "add text" to the bottom so I can just start typing!

Dan

• 3. Re: how do i set a default location for text?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dan

How about this idea.

How does that go about necessity and invention?

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 10 64 bit Expert workspace

Invention 1.

Go to Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application/Text/Arrange/Lower Third and create a keyboard shortcut, example Ctrl+U. When the titler opens with your centered "Add Media", then Ctrl+U to get the "Add Media" to bottom of the screen, but within the Safety Margin Text Area.

Invention 2

Create an "Add Media" text file in the Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Tilter (Text Menu/New Text/Default Text). With your mouse cursor, drag and position the default "Add Text" toward the bottom of the screen, but within the Safety Margin Text rectangle. Close out of there. Open Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the "Add Text" title that you just created, and, from the drop down menu that appears, select Export Title. This maneuver will give you your special "Add Text" file as a .ptrl file saved to the computer hard drive. You can use that file as source media for new projects and import it into a project (Expert workspace Add Menu/Files and Folders).

Invention 3 - still working on it....have not gotten it to materialize under Title & Text Tab....

Or you can set up to have it appear as an option under the Titles & Text Tab/General.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 14

Presets

Templates

Common

General

and, in the General Folder, create a new folder named Lower3rd in which you put your Special.prtl file.

Close out of there. The Special title will thereafter be available under the Titles & Text Tab/General/Lower3rd to be dragged into the Timeline video track.

But, is it really worth it?

ATR