15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 12:47 AM by kyriosity

Exporting illustrations to epub

kyriosity Level 1

I'm trying to learn to make Kindle books, and have busted through most of the brick walls with my thick skull, but I'm stymied on a couple of things to do with illustrations when exporting to epub:

1) I chose "rasterize container" to preserve the appearance of the title page. It converted to an image, but it's showing up really small in the kindle reader. Is there a way to make it fill the space more attractively?

2) I've got a little illustration in each chapter title before the chapter name (the same one throughout), and it's only showing up on the first chapter. I want it on every chapter. These were originally placed via the master page, but I moved each instance off of the master and spot-checked to see that "rasterize container" was selected for each one.

Thanks!

~Valerie

• 1. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
          Derek Cross Level 6

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Nothing on a master page will be included.

How are you creating your mobi format?

Are you trying to make a Reflowable text ePub?

• 2. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum.

• 3. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You have to be aware that element of the master are never a part of the content of a document. The master is for orientation (page numbers, running headers) and decoration (background colors, images) neither in a PDF nor in an EPUB. It is important for PDF/UA for people with reading devices, as those ellements are ignored by reading out loud and the same for EPUBs as these elements are ignored to show up and may even change as the user can resize and change the font and the master makes no sense.

Therefore it is very important to work so that on a page overrides from the master are never done, the use of another master is the correct solution, on a master is overriding not a problem. Only the primary text frame makes sense in book like layout.

If these images are part of the content, you should not use it in the master.

For EPUBs and PUBLISH ONLINE it is important to work with OBJECT STYLES and specify there the resolution, otherwise you have to live with the global settings upon export, which might export to small on some images and to huge on others.

As several objects on the master with transparency I create the master title image on a separate document (Text should not be included here), export that as PDF/X-4 (the best type when you place PDFs in InDesign) and place this in the final cover document. This preserves transparency interactions until the final PUBLISH ONLINE and the EPUB.

• 4. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                kyriosity Level 1

Which version of InDesign and OS?

CC 2015.2. Windows 10.

Nothing on a master page will be included.

Right. Which is why I mentioned that I'd moved them all off of the master.

How are you creating your mobi format?

I'm using toepub.com.

Are you trying to make a Reflowable text ePub?

Yes.

• 5. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                  kyriosity Level 1

Thanks, Steve. And sorry...didn't realize there was a separate epub forum.

• 6. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                    kyriosity Level 1

You have to be aware that element of the master are never a part of the content of a document. The master is for orientation (page numbers, running headers) and decoration (background colors, images) neither in a PDF nor in an EPUB. It is important for PDF/UA for people with reading devices, as those ellements are ignored by reading out loud and the same for EPUBs as these elements are ignored to show up and may even change as the user can resize and change the font and the master makes no sense.

Right. Which is why I mentioned that I'd moved the illustrations off of the master.

For EPUBs and PUBLISH ONLINE it is important to work with OBJECT STYLES and specify there the resolution, otherwise you have to live with the global settings upon export, which might export to small on some images and to huge on others.

I've specified the resolution using right click > Object Export Options > EPUB and HTML. Would doing it through Object Styles produce a different result?

As several objects on the master with transparency I create the master title image on a separate document (Text should not be included here), export that as PDF/X-4 (the best type when you place PDFs in InDesign) and place this in the final cover document. This preserves transparency interactions until the final PUBLISH ONLINE and the EPUB.

I don't have any transparency on the title page -- just text and the publisher's logo. The final appearance is OK except for the size.

• 7. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                      Ellis home Level 4

Regarding image size see: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1839950?q=image%20size

Have you tried using the Kindle Previewer app to convert your .epub to .mobi? It will have to pass the epub check http://validator.idpf.org/ in order to work.

• 8. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                        kyriosity Level 1

Thanks, Ellis. The validator only turned up one error (date format). I tried converting with the Kindle Previewer, and now no images at all show up. :^/

• 9. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                          Ellis home Level 4

No images. That's weird. Can you share a .indd sample page containing an image to test it. You'll have to use dropbox or similar and post the link here.

By the way, did you fix the date format?

• 10. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                            kyriosity Level 1

Here's a sample page:

Dropbox - Huck Finn Sample Page.indd

Yes, I got the date fixed. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                              kyriosity Level 1

Well, I did something (I don't know what), and now the first instance of the illustration is showing up again. I found that, for the size, "Relative to Text Size" worked better than "Custom Width." When I set the width to 100%, it also automatically set the height to 100%, distorting the image.

So the remaining problems are a) it's inserting a page break after the image (I've told it to insert a break before, but I don't want one after), and b) it's only showing up once rather than before every chapter. Is it deciding that, since it's accessed that link before, it doesn't need to do it again? Do I need to make 44 copies of the same file? Surely there's a less obnoxious solution than that!

• 12. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                                Ellis home Level 4

I would put the image inline instead. But you'll have to create a master page for the chapter title pages with enough room to insert the image on top and tag the image paragraph style with Split EPUB.

• 13. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Object styles would have the same result as doing it without. But Object styles are faster to use and can be used later in other documents too. If you have prepared several ObjSt you need only to click and you see always in the panel if your have taken care on this element.

• 14. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                                    kyriosity Level 1

This did it, Ellis! Thanks so much!

snoopy smooch.jpg

• 15. Re: Exporting illustrations to epub
                                      kyriosity Level 1

Yes! I did switch to Object Styles and that helped. Thanks!