3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 4:14 PM by dawei09

Can't merge a .chm into a project

dawei09
      Hi, I am evaluating RH v.8. I would like to merge a .chm into a project, and then generate the project as webhelp. I've read the documentation, and I think I'm doing it correctly. I'm using 'New Merged Project' button in the TOC pod. The html help project name I'm merging has no spaces, and the TOC file is non-binary (.hhc). But when I generate the webhelp project, the merged .chm simply doesn't build with it. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Can't merge a .chm into a project
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Welcome to our community, David

You are attempting to compare Spiders to Hedgehogs my friend!

Sure, you can create merges. But they only work when you merge like with like. So if you are creating CHM output, all the output must exist as .CHM files. If you create WebHelp or FlashHelp outputs, all of the outputs must exist as WebHelp or FlashHelp.

Sorry, but you cannot mix and match.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Can't merge a .chm into a project
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            You create a merge by inserting a reference to the required child in the parent project TOC. When you do that, there are two tabs, one to point to a CHM and one to point to a FlashHelp or WebHelp project. Instead of pointing to the CHM, why not point to the RH project that created the CHM in the FlashHelp / WebHelp tab?

That would give you a webhelp merge with the same content.

• 3. Re: Can't merge a .chm into a project
              dawei09 Level 1
              Thanks for the tips. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, but I appreciate the support.