13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 12:21 PM by A.T. Romano

How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?

bk45442358

Hey All,

I'm working on a project of about 6000 photos. Much more

in the future. I need to be able to BATCH SIZE these since

there are so many,but ALSO keep a 4:3 ratio at the size

800x600. I know I can batch edit these but it smushes them

down to 800x600. I need it clipped and cut if needed so the

actual photo quality isn't compromised, but still keeps all the

same shapes and sizes.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

FROM A WORRIED PHOTO UP LOADER!

• 1. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Under the File menu in Photoshop Elements is a tool called Process Multiple Files.

On the Resize panel, set either the Height or Width and keep the Constrain Aspect Ratio locked.

You can set this tool to process and entire folder of photos in just a few clicks. You can even set it to save your resized photos to a new folder so that you preserve the original full-definition photos.

• 2. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
            bk45442358 Level 1

Hi Steve,

This has been tried and when you click constrain crop it will automatically choose the size of the photo. So, it won't size it to 800x600 it'll crop it to 800x533. I need it at exactly 800x600 with a ratio of 4:3

Thank You,

B

• 3. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?

What is the original size of your photo?

If your original photos are 4:3, then constraining proportions will keep them 4:3.

But if they are not 4:3 to begin with, you'll either need to crop the photo of stretch it on one side to make it 4:3.

• 4. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                bk45442358 Level 1

Is there a way to do this in multiples? Rather than sizing each of them manually one by one to then batch edit them? Also, how can you figure out the ratio of a photo?

Thank You!

• 5. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

how can you figure out the ratio of a photo?

Dividing the width by the height:

800/600=1.33 which is the same as 4:3.

Most photos from still cameras are 3:2.(1.5)

What is the resolution (height and width in pixels) of your original stills.

• 6. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                    bk45442358 Level 1

Hi! Thanks for your help,

These are all sized at

3887x2594

OR a few came in at

3886x2593

• 7. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bk

Resizing to 800 x 600 4:3 Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files.....

The question about the resolution of your original stills is important and has been asked and is waiting for your answer. But....

In the meantime, I would like to share with you some observations which would suggest, if all you want is 800 x 600 for all your still files, then

definitely do the Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files/ without the check mark next to Constrain Proportions in the Resize Image (with check mark) option and type in 800 Width and 600 Height.

If I have a group of stills in a folder 3264 x 2448 from my camera and 2592 x 1936 from my iPad, first impression is that they are both 4:3 stills. The 3264/2448 = 1.3337 and 2592/1936 = 1.3388.

And, when a folder of those is put through Photoshop Elements Editor Process Multiple Files with the check mark next to Constrain Proportions and Width filled in as 800, the 3264 x 2448 resized = 800 x 600, but the 2592/1936 resized to 800 x 598. They all resized to 800 x 600 when there was no check mark next to Constrain Proportions used and 800 and 600 entered in the Process Multiple Files details. If I included a 1600 x 900 still (1600/900 = 1.7777) in the group, same type of situation...with Constrain Proportion, 1600 x 900 resized to 800 x 450, and without 800 x 600.

If batch processing for crop as well as resize becomes a consideration for any of these frame aspect ratios, then you might want to explore IrfanView for its batch processing. IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

It is a free for use program.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?

bk45442358 wrote:

Hi! Thanks for your help,

These are all sized at

3887x2594

OR a few came in at

3886x2593

Why do you want 800x600 (4:3) as most tv and media players produce widescreen.

What is the final destination going to be?

Maybe you need a different workflow.

• 9. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bk

As follow up to post 7....

I saw your post 6, only after I had posted 7

These are all sized at

3887x2594

OR a few came in at

3886x2593

If you want to resize them to 800 x 600 with the Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files/,

then do not use the check mark next to Constrain Proportions, type in the Width 800 and Height 600.

If you use the check mark next to Constrain Proportions, type in the Width = 800, the resized still will be 800 x 534 for both of 3887 x 2594 and 3886 x 2593 (1.4987) which appear to be the typical print aspect ratio represented as 3:2.

I have road tested all that I have written. And, the comments are based on those results.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                            bk45442358 Level 1

Absolutely! These are actually photos going on to a website that only allows small photos. So eventually these end up small anyways. I don't mind using another editing program I just need something quicker that won't distort the photo in absolutely in anyway at all. I need something that will just take care of this sizing quick so I can do my process of uploading them all to the website.

Thank You

• 11. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?

Obviously you can't get 4:3 photos from 3:2 photos without resizing and then cropping them.

• 12. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?

So if I understand correctly these photo's are just for the website or do you plan to use them in a video.

Because if its just the former you need Photoshop Elements and not Premiere Element, and I will move you to the correct forum for expert help.

I need something that will just take care of this sizing quick so I can do my process of uploading them all to the website.

If you just want to resize them to a lesser filesize and/or resolution, done is a jiffy (except 800x533). If you want them exactly 4:3 not so done in a jiffy and except some parts of the photo cut off.

• 13. Re: How to batch resize and still keep photo ratio?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bk

Before you posted your thread, did you take the stills you described (3887x2594 and 3886x2593) into Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files and compare the results with and without using the Constrain Proportions option as I detailed in my post contributions 7 and 9?

When without the check mark next to Constrain Proportions and type in 800 Width and 600 Height, did you find as I did all the resized stills as 800 x 600 4:3 (aka 1.3333)? And, did you see any distortion in the resized stills in the process of just resizing from 3:2 to 4:3?

I would offer that the process will give you exactly 4:3 frame aspect ratio. The crop plus the resize becomes a consider if what is in the exact 4:3 contains distortion in the just resizing process.

ATR